+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rich Demo format option.

Banned pall is on a distinguished road

Rich Demo format option.

As I know for now only view of one player is recorded into demo file.
    Anyone know how can I record demo with views of all players who play in server?
    If it is possible at all?
    If no, then maybe good idea is to have special cmd to recording demo in such rich format.
    For example instead of /record to have something like /recordr ))

Important thing: make available rich demo format only for person who is recording from spectators!

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    This is something that has been requested for a long time but not implemented. There is sort of a workaround, though. If you use Wolfcam to view the demo you can view other players' POV, with the caveat that they have to be within rendering distance of you, which they won't be if there are several walls between you. But it does work reasonably well if you want to check for people using hacks.

OK, thanks.
    Well, in general I think that giving to client information about enemy pov is really stupid to do implementation that already utilized by aimbots writers to get anti-aim feature working: move away or dodge automatically when enemy tries to aim on you. I think I have somewhere several demos where this is reflected very well. On other hand what is the alternative way ?

Yea, for my need I want to have log of all players without this distance limitation.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    The distance limitation applies to wallhacks as well. You'd have to hack the server to see information that's server-side only.

I know that server knows all the info, but sends only part of it.
    So, if we already raised sv_fps, so what is the problem to omit some old aged limitations from 1999?

It would be great if also demo included some information about client config (mouse variables for example).

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by pall View Post
    So, if we already raised sv_fps, so what is the problem to omit some old aged limitations from 1999?
    com_maxfps was raised, not sv_fps.

The "Rich Demo format" is called multi view demo (mvd)
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...l=1#post227443

A few quake3 mods (like CPMA and Excessive Plus) allowed recording MVDs
    http://www.excessiveplus.net/documentation/client/demos

Quote Originally Posted by mi View Post
    sv_fps was 20 now its 40
    Yes, we don't have such rich format in quakelive and I want to have it for spectators recording only.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    You can't discern between players and spectators this way with the QL code.
    It only sends information of players within the PVS (Potentially Visible Set) because it HAS to send that information, any time a player is somewhere were it doesn't have to send information it doesn't, to both reduce network load, but also importantly to reduce the information hacking players can possibly get.

So, I can pretty much guarantee you will never get spectator only MVD.
    Server recorded MVD is how Q3 has done it in the past, links to download from the server were then made available, this would cost id for bandwidth, for each player downloading the demo once, would cost the same as the game taking place (demos are just captures of the network data+ a little header) so if every player downloaded the MVD only once, that could make a game cost 16 times the bandwidth per game.

They're probably more likely to not do it at this stage because it's a lot of work for very very little gain.

Well, about the work size you are right.
    But maybe such option can be available for pro account as attractive (relatively) extra.

+ Reply to Thread