+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noobs question

Member randomguy657 is on a distinguished road

Noobs question

So, I am back to Quake after ~10 years break. A was not anything special back then. Was somewhat decent in FFA, and noob dueler. Right now, in FFA on green servers I not getting completely stomped, but I clearly inferior in terms of aiming. With duel I did not even bother yet.
    I want to learn to do well in FFA and Duel mode. I need some advice what to focus on in the beginning.
    Right now I settled at FFA with all weapons - each match focusing on one particular one and then on cycling for the best one for the current situation. Also I am playing with bots a bit, but I am not sure if this is not a waste of time compared to playing with players.

So my main questions are:
    1. Should I focus on aim first and after I can hit ppl well, I will focus on my movement across the map
    2. Which mode/match setup will allow me for faster progression/learning
    3. What should I avoid in current stage

Also I have constant "prediction error" message spam in console, is this normal?
    Last edited by randomguy657; 04-30-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Learning movement will make everything else easier. Whatever advantageous position you decide you want to go to, getting there faster won't hurt
    The basics of strafe jumping are best learned on dedicated training maps (check this, hopefully there's a not-so-dead link to the map somewhere down the topic), at least until you're confident about getting reasonable acceleration pretty much unconsciously. Then it's IMO better to just jump into the fray and apply whatever you have, perhaps optimising the skills along the way. Moving around a map with clipping corners etc. is far more complicated than running in a straight line on Raz3r's. Still, even starting every movement with a circle jump will already give you a huge edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Still, even starting every movement with a circle jump will already give you a huge edge.
    that is a helpful advice, thanks

Senior Member GanglandOneUp will become famous soon enough GanglandOneUp's Avatar
    I'd also take a close look at your config/setup too. Make sure your mouse sense is ok. Make sure you have your weapons bound to specific keys so you don't get killed rolling the mouse wheel.

Also, spec people. Go on twitch.tv and find some QL to watch. 102.ash, zoot, faceit. These are all channels that broadcast top level QL. All the pros.... Watch them and try to remember their angles, and map positioning. Learn as many maps as you can. You can start worrying about when RA or MH is gonna pop up once you have movement, positioning, and location all dialed in.

Oh, aim is important too. Learn all the weapons, don't just rely on the RL to save you.

DNA
    Drunk Clan
    #IRC
    North America, Join the party, here!
    Europe, Join the party, here!

Enough is enough; and sometimes enough is too much!

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randomguy657 View Post
    Right now I settled at FFA with all weapons - each match focusing on one particular one and then on cycling for the best one for the current situation. Also I am playing with bots a bit, but I am not sure if this is not a waste of time compared to playing with players.
    Bots aren't a waste, they're good practice for warming up.

You can make them stronger like so:

bot_challenge "1"
    bot_thinktime "0"
    addbot <botname> 5

2. Which mode/match setup will allow me for faster progression/learning
    Hard to say. Maybe do like a 70/30 ratio, 70 % all weap type mods (ca/dom/rr/a&d), 30 % non (ffa/ctf/tdm/duel).

3. What should I avoid in current stage
    Not paying attention and zoning out while playing.

Also I have constant "prediction error" message spam in console, is this normal?
    No. Try \cg_showmiss "0"

thanks for help!

Junior Member Igre is on a distinguished road
    I noticed several times in different matches to players jump. Probably with the help of a rocket lancer in FFA. How is that possible when the power is removed?

Junior Member Igre is on a distinguished road
    How to dismissed flag in CTF? One player I was insults because I did not want to do that. I did not know how to do it!

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igre View Post
    How to dismissed flag in CTF? One player I was insults because I did not want to do that. I did not know how to do it!
    Go into the menu (press escape), click on 'controls', and then click on 'actions' and then click to set a key for 'dropflag' which is on the left.

If you want to do it with the console just:

bind [key] "dropflag"

I noticed several times in different matches to players jump. Probably with the help of a rocket lancer in FFA. How is that possible when the power is removed?
    Sometimes it is worth it to give up some of your life if it helps you get somewhere quickly.

Senior Member bliss is on a distinguished road bliss's Avatar
    You will lose health in FFA if you rocket jump, however if you play some Clan Arena you can do it to your heart's content with no damage.

+ Reply to Thread