+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: id Software, this game is COMPLETE, now please build a tutorial for new players!

Senior Member filo is on a distinguished road filo's Avatar
    ... errr... 1412 the only thing that is forced is the skill placment match with crash... the rest is optional. ... so ...

Senior Member TNZ is on a distinguished road TNZ's Avatar
    They should indeed maybe expand the Crash tutorial, with like tutorial part 2, etc... Going through a few maps, showing armor, and their name + short name. Also going though every gametype quickly, and propose different strategies for each gametype. A simple aiming guide, like with the plasmagun try to shoot a moving object (a shooting range, bit like the Cod4 tutorial). Show on screen what binds each weapon have, so the beginner can get used to these binds a bit faster.

Then for movement also include a plasmaclimb training map, and a 2nd strafejumping map with much harder jumps, because you can go much faster than that map requires.

I know the community already has created some of this, but the beginner will not know about these.

*Shadenine
    Like I said before, the crash training is now optional. In fact they dont even ask you if you want to try it anymore. I made an account for a friend and found that out. You just press beginner, skilled, expert (something like that).. which is pretty stupid they should at least ask you to take it if its optional.

Junior Member Dronak is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the suggestions, KittenIgnition and malk_. I have been checking out the forums here and have found some useful threads in the Getting Started area. A post to the Clan Recruitment area might be worth a try, too, at least to find out which clans might be better for me.

*Shakespear3
    Yes do this, after reading the tutorials I was left in a *** state. I`m doing all that when I strafe? I dont think about it like this... There ought to be keypresses and a line for your crosshairs to follow for the strafe training.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Someone mentioned a mentor-program. Ive experienced this with atlantica online. Its a MMO and therfore it may not apply 1:1 on QL, but my experience was very positive. I wondered about some people asking me ingame if I have a mentor. I think I replied to the third one and he explained it to me. When you become a mentor for someoneone you ought to help him, and when he reaches a certain level you get a reward. Its easier in a MMO to reward players I think (gold, exp, etc), in QL there isn't much besides an award or pro/premium tokens. I guess the award is not enough to make people help noobs maybe, and pro/prem tokens maybe could be abused by players mentoring themselfes.
    But perhaps there are other things. Getting help from an experienced player is the best way to learn the game.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member Th0rsten is on a distinguished road
    Im pretty sure there are some players (including me) which think enlarging the Player Base is rewarding enough.

Junior Member Dronak is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    Getting help from an experienced player is the best way to learn the game.
    Agreed. It's generally easier to learn things when you have someone more experienced helping teach you. I've been reading articles I can find on the web, which are helpful, and some things do just require practice on my part (of course). But if I could get some real-time in-game feedback on things as they happen, I think it would help me learn faster. I'd probably be interested in joining a mentoring program (on the learning rather than teaching side) if it were created. It seems like an idea worth considering to see if there's a good way to implement it.

Senior Member Raz0rblade is on a distinguished road Raz0rblade's Avatar
    i have to make a parcours of circle Strafe jumps or how I do Walljumps
    u dont have to do, u can skip it by walking in nearest portal.

@Topic: they should make the existing tutorials more visible and add a section like "pro match of the day" where u can watch a VOD/Demo by direkt clicking on it. This way Newcomers will see what is possible.
    Last edited by Raz0rblade; 09-19-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, KittenIgnition and malk_. I have been checking out the forums here and have found some useful threads in the Getting Started area. A post to the Clan Recruitment area might be worth a try, too, at least to find out which clans might be better for me.
    woah... i got appreciated O_O

anyway, you should go join eT. kleeborp is one of the best CA players ive seen, and he's the leader. ofc its not really a "clan", in that it doesnt have a website etc. but hes got the tag and he's the leader. and he would gladly teach you stuff.

also, imo, iD needs to explain every single little thing in quake live, and have some massive thread in getting started or something. im not talking about hardware/tech support-type stuff, im talking about what everything does: each cvar, explained in detail; each map explained with some basic strategies and item times (like on tourney6, with 2-minute MH +etc); how to join a clan; how to start up demos; how to start a practice match; pretty much everything should be explained somewhere. even the most avid and thorough "customer" (player) cant figure out everything for himself, which makes it pretty much impossible to get a full community FAQ here.

newayz, back to my usual trollin'

+ Reply to Thread