+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: id Software, this game is COMPLETE, now please build a tutorial for new players!

Senior Member Th0rsten is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1412 View Post
    U Guys ont watch the tutorials, do you? I'm registere since today and i dont giva a f... damn about these jumps cause i just wanna play deatmatch, because of the newb tutorials i have to learn completely senseless things BEFORE i can play online. *** I wanna play with a friend and i have to "Train" before. My aiming is better than 30% of the ppl I think and before i have to learn strafe and circle jump in a completely miserable tutorial? No, thanks i'd rather walk all the time than learning this **** 2 days long.
    you just think these things are senseless as you dont know how powerfull they are (even in your deathmatch). But i agree that reading tutorials aint that much fun. maybe some good made videos would be better?

Anyway we dont want to force people to read tons of guides, we just want to make newbies aware of what is really possible and how to achieve it. I honestly believe some kind of mentoring programm would be a good solution.

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    U Guys ont watch the tutorials, do you? I'm registere since today and i dont giva a f... damn about these jumps cause i just wanna play deatmatch, because of the newb tutorials i have to learn completely senseless things BEFORE i can play online. *** I wanna play with a friend and i have to "Train" before. My aiming is better than 30% of the ppl I think and before i have to learn strafe and circle jump in a completely miserable tutorial? No, thanks i'd rather walk all the time than learning this **** 2 days long.
    then you dont belong in quake, obviously. go back to CoD if you just want senseless killing

EDIT: QL needs servers dedicated to movement and stuff. would be so much better, since you could teach new people how to move, and do some team tricks without worry...

*Shadenine
    I remember first starting, I was dedicated due to the fact that Im a cheap bastard and had no intention of buying an FPS for my comp. The tutorials are useless btw. I remember reading them and it was like point ur crosshairs 40 degrees and blah blah blah. The only thing that helped me was a video on strafing with keypresses. After that I picked it up in a week, and I`ve only gotten better. BTW I made an account for a friend and the crash training is now just an option. Now you just press "beginner, veteran, (something like vet I forget), and another optin for better players. No skill test... ***?

F1

Senior Member fraggedICE is on a distinguished road
    I think you're talking about the initial tutorial against Crash. The game has to download hundreds of megabytes of game content before you can play all the maps, so although it seems boring it doesn't hurt to get a feel for the game before you play online. But I agree that forcing tutorials on people is annoying and unfortunately we have all had to do it when signing up.

Off-topic:
    I'm not sure if this has been changed, but in beta regardless of how well you did in the match against Crash you were placed in T3, which was far too high for most new players. I think if it hasn't been changed yet, it should be, because it makes sense to base a players tier on how well they did in the match. One thing they could maybe improve is add a frag limit, so you don't have to wait until the full 10 minutes is up - I think it's safe to say if you are up by 10 - 5 you should be put in T3, or if you are down 1 - 10 you should be put into T1... You can still join your friends on the unrestricted servers if you are in a tier too low or high, and your tier quickly changes when you play online.

About tutorials in general, I think there are plenty on youtube, in other websites, and on the forums. They should just make a Quake Live wiki and link to it on the main site, so people can contribute to it. On the other hand I like the approach they used in the strafe/RJ training tutorials, with demos and videos: http://www.quakelive.com/#practice/training/p2h1 I think they could continue making practice maps for item timing, air rockets etc. that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Th0rsten View Post
    Anyway we dont want to force people to read tons of guides, we just want to make newbies aware of what is really possible and how to achieve it.
    As most people in this thread have said, this is the most important thing, lots of new players have never had to learn about using sound, strafe jumping, binding weapons instead of scroll wheel etc. and don't how it can improve their game. Some sort of introduction that demonstrates this would be good, there are any number of ways they could do this.

EDIT: Shadenine just pointed out 'now you just press "beginner, veteran, (something like vet I forget), and another option for better players. No skill test... ***?' so I guess thats a good alternative, they are no longer forcing you to do the tutorial, but I expect COD noobs will still choose Veteran and be thrashed. xD
    Last edited by fraggedICE; 09-17-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member KiteX3 is on a distinguished road
    And that's absolutely fine. You should not be forced through a guide/tutorial, if you don't care to learn these things, but you must accept the fact that you are putting yourself at a disadvantage if you ignore them, because these things are a critical part of playing Quake. That is an important part of this suggestion, it shows exactly what Quake is to anyone unfamiliar to the game, so that newer players won't view timing and strafejumping as abusing the system/glitches, but rather as features of the game. That way, rather than feel like they've been cheated, they'll know they've simply been outplayed.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    tier system is sorted thru crash altho I got into tier 5 for duel and got maimed lol

I thought the guides accompanying the tutorials were pretty good tbh - tho that's coming from q2 experience so maybe the basics are lacking a bit. Then again how big a manual do you want to explain EVERYTHING from bind aliases through to graphics configs through to movement guides? Maybe a linked-to wiki page would be a good idea so everyone can pool together? Would write itself in a coupla weeks that way

noobs - try googling these things:

strafe jump
    rocket jump
    circle jump
    epic fail

XD

Junior Member Dronak is on a distinguished road
    As a new player to the game, I would certainly like to see some more instruction, whether it's technique tutorials, general guides, game-specific strategies, map-specific info, etc. Maybe they're not for everyone, but I generally like instructional material for helping me learn the basics. Of course, I have to practice stuff to get it down, but I think that's a little easier to do if I've seen some instruction on what it is I'm trying to do. I've found some things on other web sites that look like they'll help, but anything that comes directly from the game makers would certainly be appreciated.

P.S. -- Any tips on where a new player like me can learn, maybe a newbie-friendly clan or a web site with good tutorials? Thanks!

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    As a new player to the game, I would certainly like to see some more instruction, whether it's technique tutorials, general guides, game-specific strategies, map-specific info, etc. Maybe they're not for everyone, but I generally like instructional material for helping me learn the basics. Of course, I have to practice stuff to get it down, but I think that's a little easier to do if I've seen some instruction on what it is I'm trying to do. I've found some things on other web sites that look like they'll help, but anything that comes directly from the game makers would certainly be appreciated.

P.S. -- Any tips on where a new player like me can learn, maybe a newbie-friendly clan or a web site with good tutorials? Thanks!
    go to getting started. youll find any gameplay-related answers there, and any tech-related answers in tech support.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    P.S. -- Any tips on where a new player like me can learn, maybe a newbie-friendly clan or a web site with good tutorials? Thanks
    !
    Post in the clan forum. Just post that you're new to the game and that you're looking for a clan for a certain mode. I'm sure you'll find one. If you want to duel just hang around a duel server and when you find an opponent who is better but willing to give you some advice befriend him and listen good
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Guys I don't mean these Newb tuts are senseless. I mean I lerned the easy things But I wanted to play with/against a friend yesterday and I couldn't do it cause i have to make a parcours of circle Strafe jumps or how I do Walljumps. I was 1 hour in it always failing at one point. In a deathmatch i don't even have the time doing these things (apart from Rocket Jump). I ike the speed in Quake but it should be my problem if I don't want to need these gameplays or want to learn them later

+ Reply to Thread