+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: id Software, this game is COMPLETE, now please build a tutorial for new players!

*JoelTGM

Post id Software, this game is COMPLETE, now please build a tutorial for new players!

Seriously, it sucks so bad to see a new player trying to figure out the game, walking around and scrolling through weapons, only to get cursed out and booted from the match. I think right now the game is super polished and the subscription stuff is in place, so how about making it a priority to create the long overdue REAL tutorial. I mean right now there's some practice levels, but new players don't even know they exist, and even if they did try them, it just says "strafe jump the gaps", and I can just picture them jumping, falling, and then quitting.

You need to get people's attention. When a player first starts the game, there should be a quick video showing the awesome history of competitive Q3, all fancily edited and stuff. Make new players aware what this game really is, and that thousands of players love it and respect it, because otherwise they think it's just some crappy looking ad-ridden game that isn't like call of duty, and with zero investment in it, nothing is discouraging them from quitting after 5 minutes. After that, put them through a real tutorial that explains and demonstrates how to take advantage of each weapon, and how to do things like strafe jumping and rocket jumping. I see new players all the time asking if people play this game, as if unsure to invest in the game or not; they don't know the history of the game.

id, you've got this amazing game that is super polished, and is literally a timeless competitive shooter that is like nothing else, but new players are absolutely hopeless with no way to learn it and no reason to try.
    If you promise to build a real tutorial, I swear I'd actually start paying for the subscription just because then I'd know the game will have a future.
    As of right now I don't even attempt to recommend this game to friends because I know it's not possible for me to explain it to them.

Senior Member crucci is on a distinguished road
    Yep.

10chars

Senior Member KiteX3 is on a distinguished road
    This is absolutely CRITICAL. I don't use capslock often, and when I do (here), I really mean it. This is one of the biggest problems with Quake Live, that not all of the cards are set out on the table for everyone to see right from the start; you can only barely play poker ignorant that face cards exist, and you can only barely play Quake Live ignorant of strafe jumping, rocket jumping, and item timing. No poker book excluding face cards could be considered complete.

This is a must. Not just a could, not just a maybe we should, it is entirely and completely necessary.

Senior Member Th0rsten is on a distinguished road
    absolutely agree. I think some kind of "Mentor" Programm would be nice.

btw maybe a little offtopic, but fix the skill system for newcomers, i just had one guy playing his 4th game of ql against me. Not that i am uberpro but i have played like 4k duels in my life and that guy couldnt even jump to ra in ztn (watched him try it 5 times during the match oO)

*KarlTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Th0rsten View Post
    absolutely agree. I think some kind of "Mentor" Programm would be nice.

btw maybe a little offtopic, but fix the skill system for newcomers, i just had one guy playing his 4th game of ql against me. Not that i am uberpro but i have played like 4k duels in my life and that guy couldnt even jump to ra in ztn (watched him try it 5 times during the match oO)
    Good example here. *** are RA and ZTN?

Senior Member m3t3or is on a distinguished road m3t3or's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlTH View Post
    Good example here. *** are RA and ZTN?
    RA = Red Armor, ZTN = The map "Bloodrun"

F1 @topic !! We barely need:
    - A strafejump tutorial which explains how to strafe, if you have completely no clue. (incl. vid. to show how it should look like)
    - A cyclejump tutorial which explains how to cycle, if you have completely no clue. (incl. vid. to show how it should look like)
    - Same for Rocketjump, Plasmaclimb, Greenadejump and ItemTiming
    - A tutorial which explains why you should bind weapons near asdw, and how to do so. Why jumping with mouse2 could be an advantage, and all other belongs in terms of configuration.
    - A BIG blinking link to these tutorials on startup for new accounts, which you can disable if not needed any more.

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    I fully support this idea.

Got two friends into QL not long ago who'd never played a shooter beforehand. Took me showing them how to move around, bind weapons, the basics of strafing, what guns to use in certain situations, what the powerups are and what they mean, and just about everything else. They would have dropped the game in a heartbeat and moved back to play starcraft and whatnot had I not of done that.

It would definitely pay off in the long run. No doubt.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member Anhedonic is on a distinguished road
    This doesn't sound half bad, you've got my vote.
    <Anhedonic> DOGS HAVE LEGS
    * Anhedonic has quit IRC (Signed off)

* SyncError sets mode: +m #quakelive

<SyncError> Everyone please note...
    <SyncError> Dogs have legs.
    <SyncError> Okay carry on.
    * SyncError sets mode: -m #quakelive

Senior Member regurge is on a distinguished road regurge's Avatar
    nice thoughts!

QL is very hard for beginners .. of course there are some manuals but thats not very helpfully . maybe its an option to add some nice videotutorials

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    F1

Noobs are the future. Somewhere out there is some 8 year old kid with stars in his eyes that's going to be the next toxiq. We want him playing QL, not COD.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

+ Reply to Thread