+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing QL on Linux with Wine

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Last edited by Lam; 12-19-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar

Installer worked, but Launcher doesn't open because Wine lacks Mono.

Trying to run Launcher.exe from the command line gives: (FIXME: paste error here)

Modern distributions include wine-mono package by default, but if you're on older/simpler distro, you can use the excellent winetricks to install mono.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Launcher crashes after entering email/password and pressing Tab.

This is a problem between the Launcher and Mono (something to do with LinkLabels).

Solution: you will have to use the mouse to press "Play".
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 02:13 PM.

The Launcher crashes each time if I use "Remember me".

Another manifestation of the same problem as above. You can use alternative launcher, or just accept this doesn't work.

Solution: don't use "remember me" and enter credentials each time.

TIP: In the default Wine configuration, the Launcher creates a file:
    ~/.wine/drive_c/users/$USER/Temp/quakelive_launcher.log

If the launcher starts but crashes, the launcher log will include .net error stack which usually helps.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-18-2013 at 07:25 AM.

I've logged in and see QL webpage, but I can't hit buttons and links

You can't hit buttons and links and need to aim below to press them.

This is a problem with windowed mode. Standalone's window will never get bigger than available desktop space and if it doesn't fit, the embedded browser is aligned to the bottom edge (cutting off the top), while mouse position is reported from the top edge.

Solution: change r_windowedMode to smaller size than your desktop excluding panels etc. You can get list of modes with /modelist.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 12:03 PM.

After joining game, it doesn't react to mouse input.

You're using Wine older than 1.6 (or development version older than 1.5.13). In the older versions of Wine, in_mouse 2 doesn't work at all.

Solution 1: if you don't have other problems, switch to in_mouse 1. Don't worry, it's not worse than the default of 2.

Solution 2: if you experience other problems, consider upgrading Wine to newer release.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.

My mouse sensitivity is all wrong / there's no raw input.

That's because Wine doesn't offer raw input. No, it really does not. The latest versions of Wine do offer WM_INPUT API to the games, but it's not raw from mouse to Wine.

There are some things to make the mouse behave less erratically, though.

Try this first: xset m 1
    This disables desktop cursor acceleration.

If you use acceleration/deceleration settings in xorg.conf, you will need to either disable that, or re-calculate your QL sensitivity accordingly.

In general, don't expect the mouse feel to be identical to Linux port (which used DGA for actual raw input). Hopefully we can adapt to slightly altered feeling.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.

I get big framedrops / game hangs.

(FIXME: insert screenshots)

Apparently, that's caused by the game process talking to Awesomium (the built-in browser). It hangs the whole game every now and then.

Fortunately, the game can work with Awesomium not running at all. There are two ways to achieve that:

1. After getting to a server, simply killall awesomium_process.exe

The game will continue but shouldn't restart the process until you try accessing friendlist, at which point it will reload the whole page, kicking you out of server!

2. You can start the game without the browser running at all.

This of course means you're not getting server browser, so you will need to connect to servers using the console. Friend list won't be working either (although you can chat with friends using tell_buddy).

I will attach a simple launcher that connects you to a server without needing the embedded browser running.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.

I still have small framedrops / jerkiness.

Me too! Unfortunately, no one have been able to locate the source of this. On the systems I've tested, it's reported as "rm" (aka "remaining time") in com_speeds output, which is rather unusual and may be hard to track without id's help.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.

I can't type local characters in chat.

That's not specific to Wine. You can't even spell na´ve correctly if you're English, not to mention Russian text. I want to stress that the same is a problem on Windows and comes from the game's keyboard input shortcommings.
    Last edited by Lam; 12-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread