+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: cg_truelightning

Senior Member QuakeBotBR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    I'll try

It really depends on your playstyle and how you use the LG on high ping. I assume you know what truelightning does. 0 shows the actual beam position like the server sees it, 1 shows the unlagged beam always at the center of your crosshair. Rule of thumb (iirc) is to use 1 up to 70-80ms ping. The formula was 1 + (80 - ping)/100 (again, IIRC). So for a ping of 100 you should use truelightning 0.8. But again, it depends on your playstyle and I'm not 100% sure its correct.

Personally, I always use 1 and try to aim according to the hitbeep. Works well on low ping (~27ms) but when I play on US servers with 180ms I don't use LG at all But when, I set truelightning to 0 and try to catch enemys.

Anyways, its impossible for me to aim with a lagged beam.

So,

1 - imho you should use 0 for pings above 180.
    2 - I use 1 on low ping servers. Works good.
    3 - yes
    4 - see 1)
    I aways play with 150-200 ping, cause Brazil (no one can explains!!!) doesnt have a server... so...

I really cant use 0 with truelightning!!!!! It gets just an useless mess!!!!!!! You are kind of a hero...
    Its best to have some "illusion" and be able to aim a little ahead, according to the ping "feeling"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xdc View Post
    0.9 'helps' with predicting, or helps it get out of the way of the xhair a little

i ping 120 - 150 and use 0.8 with timenudge -20(should use .75 but im use to predicting more), works fine dont use anything lower than 0.5

before with lower ping i would use 1, but with a low ping 0.9 and 1 almost look the same
    if you had 0 ping, and used truelg 0 there would be very little, if not none swaying
    That looks like a nice config for high ping. Altought, maybe I prefer the value 1... Ill try it out... someday... =D

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuakeBotBR View Post
    I aways play with 150-200 ping, cause Brazil (no one can explains!!!) doesnt have a server... so...

I really cant use 0 with truelightning!!!!! It gets just an useless mess!!!!!!! You are kind of a hero...
    Its best to have some "illusion" and be able to aim a little ahead, according to the ping "feeling"!!!
    Oh, my mistake. I meant on high ping servers I set it to 1 and try to hold the beam straight to catch enemys. Corrected.

truelightning 0 on high ping is some weird experience xD
    Last edited by malk_; 02-22-2011 at 02:52 AM.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Junior Member R1per2 is on a distinguished road
    Truelighning setup looks like rg predictlocalshot.

Is it true for the same graph result?
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 0 for rg = cg_truelightning 1 for lg
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 1 for rg = cg_truelightning 0 for lg

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R1per2 View Post
    Truelighning setup looks like rg predictlocalshot.

Is it true for the same graph result?
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 0 for rg = cg_truelightning 1 for lg
    cg_predictlocalrailshots 1 for rg = cg_truelightning 0 for lg
    In my opinion, predictlocalrailshots is a lot more clear in its behavior.

For one it is only on or off, whereas truelightning takes a range between 0 and 1.

Two, when it is off it draws the rail beam when the server sees it, when on it draws it instantly. As far as I know, this is its only effect.

Truelightning on the other hand is much more complex and weird. When set to 1 it draws it in the same spot as if it were not lagged, and it also tries to hit where the client sees it, although it seems like it often doesn't succeed.

When set to 0 you can even see it lag on localhost, perhaps this is the 25 ms from sv_fps 40.

Interestingly enough if you set cg_nopredict to 0, and truelightning to 0 and go to a laggy server where you have like 200 ms, then strafe and shoot a wall the LG beam stays with you perfectly. It doesn't do so when moving the mouse or changing direction quickly though. I think it is a key piece to the puzzle.

Truelightning 0 also has an interesting effect on wall marks (cg_marks 1). If you are again on a laggy server, set tlg 0 and strafe and shoot a wall you'll see the marks line up perfectly with the beam. With tlg 1 this doesn't happen, as they lag way behind it.

Does it behave the same way when hitting players? I don't know.

*zeman
    how can u chose the start up weapon

As I read, shaft, mg, cg, sg, rg are hitscan weapons, so they behave the same. Difference are dmg/hit, hit/sec and graphical(and spread ofc, so imagine it in short distance). If we change these weapons to the same hit/sec, they should behave the same. Mg, sg hitting works with predictlocalmg/sg 0, and make the same laggy (but true) beam/projectiles and marks on walls like cg_truelighning 0.
    These not facts, just thinking and testing it. Thats why I think these 2 setups make the same (there could be cg_predictlocalrailshots 0.5 too, and more predictlocal/trueweapon setups for each weapons).

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    As I read, shaft, mg, cg, sg, rg are hitscan weapons, so they behave the same. Difference are dmg/hit, hit/sec and graphical(and spread ofc, so imagine it in short distance). If we change these weapons to the same hit/sec, they should behave the same.
    So if the sounds, graphics, spread, reload time, and dps were made to be the same.

Mg, sg hitting works with predictlocalmg/sg 0, and make the same laggy (but true) beam/projectiles and marks on walls like cg_truelighning 0.
    cg_trueshotgun 1 just draws the spread as it really is, cg_trueshotgun 0 draws a make believe spread that looks more natural because sync thought the actual, circular spread was "ugly".

The other thing is that I really don't think the machine gun/chaingun behaves like truelightning 0. I'm pretty sure I would notice if it was _that_ laggy. Perhaps it is more like truelightning 1.

These not facts, just thinking and testing it. Thats why I think these 2 setups make the same (there could be cg_predictlocalrailshots 0.5 too, and more predictlocal/trueweapon setups for each weapons).
    predictlocalrailshots is definitely 1/0

It makes more sense to say that predictlocalrailshots 1 "corresponds" to truelightning 1, and that 0 "corresponds" to 0.

The general idea of prediction is to make things much less laggy at the cost of some truth.

Really I don't think a healthy comparison can be made between the two though. For a person to use either value of predictlocalrailshots is usually not a big deal, but most people simply cannot tolerate truelightning 0.

So if the sounds, graphics, spread, reload time, and dps were made to be the same.
    It makes more sense to say that predictlocalrailshots 1 "corresponds" to truelightning 1, and that 0 "corresponds" to 0.
    yes, sorry for my english
    cg_trueshotgun 1 just draws the spread
    yes, I know this setup change the spread graphs only, than say this command would be "cg_predictlocalshotgunshots"
    The other thing is that I really don't think the machine gun/chaingun behaves like truelightning 0. I'm pretty sure I would notice if it was _that_ laggy. Perhaps it is more like truelightning 1.
    In laggy server I strafe hitting on the wall, marks delayed the same with all hitscan weapons (shaft with truelighning 0 and rail plocalrails 0). Marks, projectiles, beams drawing the same place and same delayed time.

Really I don't think a healthy comparison can be made between the two though. For a person to use either value of predictlocalrailshots is usually not a big deal, but most people simply cannot tolerate truelightning 0.
    I feel and use the same. Just wondering why setup names seems inconsequent, incomplete and try to understand these setups. Maybe I really don't get these yet. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by R1per2; 03-28-2013 at 08:29 AM.

In laggy server I strafe hitting on the wall, marks delayed the same with all hitscan weapons (shaft with truelighning 0 and rail plocalrails 0). Marks, projectiles, beams drawing the same place and same delayed time.
    Yes but I feel like it doesn't work this way when shooting players. The marks might not be client side and might not "cooperate" with the server in any way to reduce their delay. Shots against player hit cylinders could very well be different.

After all there's already a disconnect between bounding surfaces and hit surfaces as the player "bounding box" is still a box when it comes to interacting with objects such as walls and platforms, but it is definitely a cylinder for hit detection for enemy fire.

Also for example, you can change the value of sv_cylinderScale (default 1.1f) and make it very large. If this were also the bounding box you wouldn't be able to fit through a door with a large enough size. This does not happen though.

This would make it easier for the behavior of "blocking" surfaces such as bounding boxes and walls to differ from weapon hit detection. I think marks are simply never predicted under any circumstance. If the weapons were as delayed as their marks when shooting players the netcode would feel terrible.

+ Reply to Thread