+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: cg_truelightning

Senior Member Schutzengel is on a distinguished road Schutzengel's Avatar

cg_truelightning

How does cg_truelightning work and what is a good value to use?

Senior Member crucci is on a distinguished road
    A value of 1 will make the end of the shaft stay rigidly on your crosshair, while anything below to a value of 0 will make it more like spaghetti. I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that, someone else can fill in. Many pros use values between 0.8 and 0.95. The best way to find out is just to experiment with different values until you find one that works for you.

Junior Member Relativizor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337_Byte View Post
    How does cg_truelightning work and what is a good value to use?
    Quake Lives netcode is snapshot oriented. Your client send snapshots of what is happening many times per second and the server sends back a snapshot of all players in your vicinity many times per second. To make the game appear smooth, some extrapolation is used in the client to predict certain things.

cg_truelightning is a (floating point) value between 0 and 1. At 0, it shows the position of the lightning beam on the LG as the client reports it to the server (it is the "true" lightning). At 1, the game "cheats" and places the lightning right in your crosshair but the true position of the lightning is then not where the beam is on your screen. Values in between, 0.5, 0.75, 0.9 etc will be somewhat of a middle ground between the true position and straight into your crosshair.

A good value depends on several factors: What you like to play with and your ping are the dominant factors. I would suggest you try several values: 0, 0.5, 0.75, 0.90, 0.96 and 1 and see what works best for you. I am running at 0.90 personally, but I have contemplated lowering it to 0.80.

I'm going to try out .75.

Senior Member nordag is an unknown quantity at this point nordag's Avatar
    i use 1, but i know some rly good shafters who use 0.
    if you try 0 ( or actually any lower value than 1) disable the crosshair and aim with the beam itself.

*croQue
    Can you still adjust with cl_timenudge?

Senior Member maltyplaya is on a distinguished road
    Well I have heard the cl_timenudge hasn't been properly implemented yet. Apparently it is still bugged.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nordag View Post
    i use 1, but i know some rly good shafters who use 0.
    if you try 0 ( or actually any lower value than 1) disable the crosshair and aim with the beam itself.
    It's true some people use 0 and can lg exceptionally. I don't know if it is necessary to disable the crosshair though.

Personally I find 0 extremely unnerving and intolerable.

One way to see what the truelightning is doing is to turn on marks (in menu or cg_marks 1) and shoot up a wall. You can even see a dramatic difference between 0.01 and 0.

If you decide using 0 isn't for you, it's probably a good idea to revisit it every once in a while for a short time just to maintain a mental familiarity with the way the lg is actually moving.

I am currently using 0 because I want to see exactly where it's hitting. When the ping is under <80 is it still good to use 0 or should I use something higher? What would work best on a LAN setting.

Senior Member z33r0 is on a distinguished road
    i use 0.9, alot of the pros use something around 0.7-0.9 i believe. 0 is maybe a bit to much swaying and about the same amount not correct as 1. honestly to be perfect you would have to edit it depending on the ping. i dont bother it that much. even with 1 you hit fairly good, i would overcompensate to much if its wet noodle like (0) and would only focus on beam.

on lan i guess 1 would be best, in your vicinity i would say 0.7-0.9 without going into personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    Nay, you speaketh the truth when you trollth with pure ownage. No mod shall cast his shadow upon your divine aura!

+ Reply to Thread