+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45

Thread: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Game

Junior Member selven_blah is on a distinguished road
    mystrDat, even if they opensource it, the graphics, and the pk3 are still copyrights to ID software... There's also an opensource Quake3 engine out there called ioquake.

You could try to reverse engineer the current quakelive binary, but wouldn't it be investing too much time for free so as quakelive earns money through you, when they specifically didn't care about the system you use?

Don't waste your brain.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selven_blah View Post
    mystrDat, even if they opensource it, the graphics, and the pk3 are still copyrights to ID software... There's also an opensource Quake3 engine out there called ioquake.

You could try to reverse engineer the current quakelive binary, but wouldn't it be investing too much time for free so as quakelive earns money through you, when they specifically didn't care about the system you use?

Don't waste your brain.
    That sounds a little misleading, so for anyone's benefit -

The original Quake 3 Arena code IS open source, it was released under the GPL for non commercial projects on August the 19th 2005. That is why ioquake3 exists, as well as many other projects based on id's source.
    id software did the same with Quake 2, Quake 1 and some other projects, but they don't release code for active commercial projects.

Quake Live is obviously based on that code too, but it's their code to use commercially as they like, and thus they aren't releasing their new updated code as open source as it's an ongoing commercial project.

Reverse engineering it would be in violation of it's licence.

Hmm I wonder with the binary standalone version they are now proposing, wouldn't that be called "distributing"? and does that contained gpl'ed code, if that was the case, they should release the source... though I don't know if the standalone has anything to do with the quake3 that was GPL'ed.

And again, the Q3A code is opensource, but the game IS NOT.

Aha, i see you posted that already http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...w-Architecture

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Hmm I wonder with the binary standalone version they are now proposing, wouldn't that be called "distributing"? and does that contained gpl'ed code, if that was the case, they should release the source... though I don't know if the standalone has anything to do with the quake3 that was GPL'ed.

And again, the Q3A code is opensource, but the game IS NOT.
    This post makes little sense to me...
    "The binary standalone version they are now proposing"? who? id software? it's not being proposed it's been out for months already.
    Was this top paragraph meant to be a quote from another forum user as I've searched and can't find it?

If that isn't a quote, your last line is kind of answering yourself, but it's only partially correct.

id software can do absolutely whatever they like with the game content or the source code itself, they still own ALL rights to the code to do with as they wish. The source was released under the GPL so if third parties wish to work with it they can under the restriction of the GPL eg, can't make people pay for the work and have to release any source they produce that uses the Q3 source etc etc.

id software is not under the restrictions of the GPL for their own code whatsoever.

If you meant someone else is proposing a standalone version of something please explain

Junior Member mzi is on a distinguished road
    Dear ID Software and whole Quake Live community, please.. no I beg you, just make a good ANTICHEAT system in this standalone version. This is the most important thing. Thank you for this!
    Last edited by mzi; 07-29-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Junior Member FarisFaiz is on a distinguished road
    Why you no support mac/linux?!

Member AluminumHaste is on a distinguished road AluminumHaste's Avatar
    And pk3 files are just renamed zip files. If you rename a pk3 to zip file, you can open it with winzip/winrar/windows etc.

Junior Member WHYUNOWORK is on a distinguished road
    why u no support mac/linux?
    Well, i think quakelive for mac is in beta, but no one uses linux anymore.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
    And pk3 files are just renamed zip files. If you rename a pk3 to zip file, you can open it with winzip/winrar/windows etc.

You can use 7-Zip to open up the pk3 files without having to rename them.
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

+ Reply to Thread