+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Game

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    No. LordHavoc did that, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waotrjjfhH8

IIRC, TTimo wasn't even working on QL back then.
    Hrm, this is good info. He seems to still be around too.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicAftershock View Post
    Why not hire him or someone else back temporarily just to make the wrappers and the ongoing maintenance
    The only reason should be the cost.

Whether it is Bethesda or Id Software I don't know, but I don't get the feeling there is a goal to expand the user base for Quake Live. Last I heard, the subscriptions cover the server costs, but they aren't making much money from Quake Live in general (again, from what I heard). I guess the positive if this is true is that Id Software is providing Quake Live as more of a fan service.
    It's a catch-22 imo. They have to invest to make the game more appealing and get subscriptions. Have to spend money to make money. That's a serious risk though, and QL doesn't have the traditional markings of a worthwhile investment.

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    It's a catch-22 imo. They have to invest to make the game more appealing and get subscriptions. Have to spend money to make money. That's a serious risk though, and QL doesn't have the traditional markings of a worthwhile investment.
    Yeah true, though cutting Mac and GNU/Linux support won't help. Though maybe they think it will. A double catch 22 scenario maybe? That'd be wild heh.
    "I love playing against someone and being pressured to win...
    ...and when I am pressured to win, that's when I play my best game." - fatal1ty

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicAftershock View Post
    Why not hire him or someone else back temporarily just to make the wrappers and the ongoing maintenance will be just like the period after Ttimo left.
    ...Which is exactly what they don't want - getting support requests from people they can't help because they don't even have systems to reproduce the issues. It has been covered in this thread multiple times: this is a situation which the old id Software would solve by releasing unofficial/unsupported binaries, but the new corporate overlords prohibited that.

(Actually the name in the quote should probably be Bargle, I remember him being the last guy on the QL team to actively fix Linux stuff.)

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    ...Which is exactly what they don't want - getting support requests from people they can't help because they don't even have systems to reproduce the issues.
    My only point though is that what you just said is how it has been ever since Ttimo, Bargle, or whoever else left. If that period of time was many years, why did they deal with "getting support requests from people they can't help" for so long if they can't do anything about it?

That's why the "ongoing maintenance" part of the answer to no Mac and GNU/Linux support is questionable to me.

Could it just come down to they don't want to deal with it anymore? Quite possibly. I don't know. They delt with it for years though. Maybe the switch over to the standalone was a convenient come along.
    Last edited by IonicAftershock; 12-16-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    "I love playing against someone and being pressured to win...
    ...and when I am pressured to win, that's when I play my best game." - fatal1ty

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Exactly! :)

Let's face it: sponge was just looking for an excuse to get rid of us :'(

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Since no-one's asked yet;

1. Will the standalone version force people to view the site advertisments (ie adblocker plugins won't be applicable anymore)?
    2. Will this lead to increased revenue inspite of the lost 6% of players from Linux and Mac?

EDIT: Not expecting either of these to be answered tbh, but if it's something that other people haven't considered then it might affect their expectation of support for their OS in the near future...not saying it's right especially since less players devalues the game for all users, but business is business

EDITEDIT: Once again I'm unsurprised by the number of new accounts professing to be die hard Linux users and supporting the vocal minority of forum theory. Also for everyone claiming that they were just on the cusp of buying a subscription but are now never going to, just lol.

That said, sorry for the guys who actually do support the game and won't be able to play it - here's hoping someone like syncore will help you out with support in the future.
    Last edited by Phlogiston; 12-16-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Junior Member vlad0 is on a distinguished road
    I am just hoping that there are no moue issues with Windows 8.1 with the stand alone game... the current situations is not great.. there is still a bit of mouse lag here and there.

I have q3a installed on the same machine and that seems fine.

*Falloutdc
    It's changing
    http://cdn.quakelive.com/images/modu...13071600.0.png

Ps: Linux user not interested in current subscription model
    Last edited by Falloutdc; 12-17-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Senior Member drohne is on a distinguished road
    i have fps drops down to 30 on maps i have never experienced any drops - it worked for a couple of minutes allright than got all insane. also i have impression the hitboxes changed somehow - my rg hit nuffin (in the time the game was workin 125 fps) but maybe i was just not on my top notch
    i cant go to forum from my standalone-client and have to exit standalone and enter/login via website to make comments.
    2 mates i talked to have just a black screen ingame.
    Last edited by drohne; 12-17-2013 at 12:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread