+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Game

Junior Member 64k is on a distinguished road
    Please add Linux support.
    No.
    Just dont cancel the perfect working game on Linux.

Senior Member drohne is on a distinguished road
    I think you are a grown man and post something stupid here, Linux is no more a geek corner, and in fact there are other OSs u can use than Linux wich are much more efficiant & secure.
    the usage is below 2 % of all users worldwide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

the range of linux-users is between 1 - 2 percent depending on the source, so its still kinda rare thing.
    the percentage may be a little higher in the private sector whereas companies and governments/administrations work still mostly with win-solutions - remember we dont talk in this place about server- but desktop-os! so yes, if u like, u could consider urself as a geek using linux (in my view no insult)

for example in my circle of friends and familiy i know exactly one person who uses linux, but still he uses win as second os. in all my workplaces never was a linux os on desktops used - and i worked for companies of different sizes, some very big.

and as i stated before: if u got a professional internet-security-system win is very safe. i never got any virus, bot, maleware whatever u name it on my machine and sometimes i even dare to visit sites with more obscure content than quakelive provides

To use an other OS is a private matter of a secure way to enter the web and maybe play some Quake Live ...
    true, ofc u have all the right to choose ur os as it fits/suits u but u also must accept the fact/decision of id that if only a very view subscripers use linux and pay money for the ql-service that the company decides that it is not cost-effective to support such a minor group - thats simply the fundamental principle of economy every business works on.
    Last edited by drohne; 11-14-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Junior Member kmqat is on a distinguished road
    I've actually been running QL in VMWare because the Mac client has never worked correctly for me. So I won't be showing up in the statistics.

It works OK... The important thing is to connect the mouse directly to the VM as a USB device. For VMWare, this requires an edit to the config file to get USB HIDs to show up in the menu. There's still some jerkiness now and then but it's a better solution than rebooting every time I want to play a quick match.

*quakedeadlive
    Quote Originally Posted by kmqat View Post
    I've actually been running QL in VMWare because the Mac client has never worked correctly for me. So I won't be showing up in the statistics.

It works OK... The important thing is to connect the mouse directly to the VM as a USB device. For VMWare, this requires an edit to the config file to get USB HIDs to show up in the menu. There's still some jerkiness now and then but it's a better solution than rebooting every time I want to play a quick match.
    But 3d graphics dont work on VMs.

Junior Member BJB is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dogchester View Post
    whoopeee . . no more linux geeks!

they're the nerds doing all the hacking around here!
    A few months ago there were (compatibility?) problems with the QL browser plugin and Linux so I moved QL directory to Win (using Win8, WinServer and Xubuntu). So actually having the option to play the game through VM will assure Linux users that they won't have to worry anymore about some strange incompatibility. It will run through VM "out of the box" most probably.

Junior Member kmqat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quakedeadlive View Post
    But 3d graphics dont work on VMs.
    VMWare Fusion will do hardware accelerated 3D for DX9 and OpenGL 2.1, which is good enough for Quake Live.

It's a cumbersome, expensive, no-good very bad excuse for the lack of native Mac support. But it does work.

Senior Member GanglandOneUp will become famous soon enough GanglandOneUp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmqat View Post
    But it does work.
    Hows your bot work with it? LOL

Senior Member barbarossa is on a distinguished road barbarossa's Avatar
    Wow, I missed this bad news until now. Now I am sad!
    drunk member of drunk clan obviously drunk, lacking any accuracy

*D_M_T
    Quote Originally Posted by d1jon View Post
    Devastated by this - I connect via a 2007 Macbook and whilst not the quickest in the world it works pretty damn well considering it's supposedly useless graphics card. I guess I'll have to enjoy the last few months, as when it goes Windows I'm not going to have a machine to connect with - i tried the VM route already and it doesn't work well enough.
    same boat here... Was going to sign up for pro too but now it looks pointless.

Junior Member vine is on a distinguished road vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drohne View Post
    the usage is below 2 % of all users worldwide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

the range of linux-users is between 1 - 2 percent depending on the source, so its still kinda rare thing.
    the percentage may be a little higher in the private sector whereas companies and governments/administrations work still mostly with win-solutions - remember we dont talk in this place about server- but desktop-os! so yes, if u like, u could consider urself as a geek using linux (in my view no insult)

for example in my circle of friends and familiy i know exactly one person who uses linux, but still he uses win as second os. in all my workplaces never was a linux os on desktops used - and i worked for companies of different sizes, some very big.

and as i stated before: if u got a professional internet-security-system win is very safe. i never got any virus, bot, maleware whatever u name it on my machine and sometimes i even dare to visit sites with more obscure content than quakelive provides

true, ofc u have all the right to choose ur os as it fits/suits u but u also must accept the fact/decision of id that if only a very view subscripers use linux and pay money for the ql-service that the company decides that it is not cost-effective to support such a minor group - thats simply the fundamental principle of economy every business works on.
    Newsflash: the majority of the internets infrastructure runs on the Linux kernel, as well as the majority of smart phones (Android IS a GNU/Linux distro) and an enormous portion of consumer electronics run the Linux kernel (Bluray players, routers, mp3 players, etc). The only area of the computing world where GNU/Linux doesn't dominate by a large margin is the desktop.

The idea that Linux is only secure due to obscurity is insane when you realize that the majority of the world's servers are running it.

+ Reply to Thread