+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Game

Member DTBlud is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DAHUNTERROCKS48 View Post
    How do you prove they use the system they speak of? Until that why would I refund your money?
    I don't know, everybody keeps throwing around the 2% and 6% whatever of the user base, so apparently they must know who is using what, otherwise we wouldn't know it was such a small percentage of users.
    really its not my problem, I just know if i paid for pro last month and was a Mac or linux user I would want my money back, its kind of the right thing to do for people if they paid for a service that you made unusable.
    btw, I didn't realize I paid you for my subscription
    Last edited by DTBlud; 11-13-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Senior Member drohne is on a distinguished road
    there is only one reason why linux is more safe than windows: around 1% of users worldwide use linux - its not interesting for professional hackers to aim at linux-users - too much effort for a little gain. u dont write a bot-virus that infects 1.000 systems if with ruff the same amount of work u can get 100.000 systems infected.
    the second "advantage" of linux it is said it uses resources better than windows. this may have been relevant in times where hardware was expensive. if u buy these days a standard pc/laptop i cant imagine any applications that demands too much resources from a given system, if its not rendering and stuff like that of real BIG files and ofc if u want to play the new games in highest-resolution - but anyway if u want to do such stuff u have bought a machine that can do that in windows anyway. so if u r using sth that is very minor compared to the majority get used to stand back in line or just fix the problem: use an emulator or get windows as second os on your machine.
    if only 2 percent of ql-gamers paying for the service r linux-users, its no wonder id dont focus that much on that issue first (considering the little resources in manpower and budget they have for ql). if u get lucky u will get a linux solution later, if not deal with it: fix the problem or play another game. also i thought it is possible to run win on mac!? i guess focusing on windows is just a necessary evil and not a decision they made cuz they r gone mad or sth like that

to make a statement: if it would be the other way around i would consider to install linux as 2nd os just to play the game. it would take me 5 hours at most to get my system back on track.

Over the past few years, browser support for plugins such as QUAKE LIVE have dropped off significantly, causing problems for plugins to operate in a consistent and working manner. With the recent announcement of Google Chrome's roadmap to turning off plugin support and the upcoming changes in Firefox, it seems that now is the time to make the transition.
    this simply means u wont gain any new players if u stick to the browser-solution: most ppl will install the newest versions of their browers, noone (new gamers, customers) will just install an old browser-version to try ql. so the standalone is (as i understand it) a necessary thing to do to give ql a chance to go on or even grow.
    Last edited by drohne; 11-13-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Producer SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjoker28 View Post
    no chance of mac support, though?
    Likewise, there are VMs that can run the standalone client on a Mac.

Producer SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJB View Post
    Just don't make the change before Dreamhack Winter 2013. A buggy game at the wrong moment would be a total disaster for the competition and a big disappointment to everyone expecting to watch the greatest QL show of the year.
    The update will come after DHW. While we might risk updates right before QuakeCon (because we're on site to do a hotfix and push an update if needed), we wouldn't risk it with a major event like DH.

Junior Member Tronic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SyncError View Post
    The standalone client runs great in the latest versions of Wine.
    Please, try to keep it that way.

This would be the best option without a native Linux client. Thanks!

*cosmicjoker28
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Smith View Post
    Why would anyone want to play with the input lag of a VM, though?
    yeah, I was under the impression that there is lag using a VM.

Member c0rrupt is on a distinguished road
    Hey sync is there anyway possible to make cg_crosshairBrightness "0" a darker black or add black to the crosshair colors?

Junior Member LAM_hirt is on a distinguished road
    u cracy, works fine on kubuntu

Junior Member dogchester is on a distinguished road
    whoopeee . . no more linux geeks!

they're the nerds doing all the hacking around here!

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjoker28 View Post
    yeah, I was under the impression that there is lag using a VM.

Mac users can "bootcamp" XP or Win7.. This differs from using a VM as you are making a bootable partition for the Windows OS.

The Windows OS runs full speed ahead on a mac just as on a Dell, HP, etc,etc,,
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

+ Reply to Thread