+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Game

Senior Member drohne is on a distinguished road
    Newsflash: the majority of the internets infrastructure runs on the Linux kernel, as well as the majority of smart phones (Android IS a GNU/Linux distro) and an enormous portion of consumer electronics run the Linux kernel (Bluray players, routers, mp3 players, etc). The only area of the computing world where GNU/Linux doesn't dominate by a large margin is the desktop.
    dude i made clear that iam talkin about desk/laptops so i dont understand ur post at all - i stated clearly that iam talkin about desk/laptop os. i dont think many ppl use smartphones, mp3- or bluray-players to play quake - but considering how some ppl (try) to move and shoot maybe i must reconsider that

The idea that Linux is only secure due to obscurity is insane when you realize that the majority of the world's servers are running it.
    servers are far more secured as desktops, u just dont run a kaspersky-internet-security on them to protect them, and still even the systems of governments and big companies get attacked and hacked - if someone really wants to get on ur linux-machine he will do it anyway (ofc he needs the knowledge how to do it). i also explained why linux-users r not having that much truble with maleware etc and that if u spend some money and use common sense u r also very secure using win. actually i cant remember that i ever heard that in my circle of friends and in my family anyone got a virus on his/her win-desktop.

but to close the case: if it comes to ql the reality is simple: 1-2 (let it be 3 cuz maybe more gamers use linux as the average user) out of 100 systems are linux based. the mac users have izi access to use win as running os via bootcamp (ofc they have to restart there mac - tuff work!) and i dont see many mac-users complainin in this thread about the change, so i would not count them. so 3 of 100 dudes have truble with the new standalone - from an economical view it is izi to understand why id is focusing on win first considering the fact that (as far as i know) the business-modell is not running very well. and plz dont say it will get worse cuz they dont support linux anymore, they have the numbers and i bet they can run a proper cost-benefit analysis.

btw as far as i know android-smartphones r also endagered cuz of viruses - they r the majority in the smartphones world and therefore targets, which just proves my point (e.g. the Trojan-SMS for android smartphones, 2010).
    Last edited by drohne; 11-16-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Yes their business model is failing, but that has nothing to do with Mac or Linux.
    i never said that linux/mac is bad or should not get support - my guess is that id has only a very limited budget for ql (at least at the moment) left and this is a necessary move to cut the costs and focus on the main customer-base (remember the main reason they quit linux/mac support right now is the changed policy in dropping of plugin-supports for browers by firefox etc!). sometimes u have to take a step back to keep things running.
    if id do now a standalone for win alone it may not be the last word: linux/mac support may be available in the future again. and if u have only limited resources u focus first on the main market. if some of u ppl dont get that point take some readings in fundamental principles of cost-benefit-analysis, or never start ur own bizz (but still u can learn by doing and making mistakes is a way to increase knowledge)

btw iam no visionary in predicting that linux will still be a very minority solution for desk- and laptops in the next 10 years.
    Last edited by drohne; 11-16-2013 at 02:42 AM.

But the dropping of Linux and Mac has nothing to do with the plugins, since they could write a portable game browser that runs on all platforms. (in QT or whatever there's so much choice nowadays)Or even if they wrote it in .NET it could still run on Linux and Mac (via mono, http://www.mono-project.com) The QL engine/binaries and all the rest run fine on all platforms without a plugin.
    i dont know how much worktime/costs it would take on top of the solution id decided for. also i have not the numbers for incoming payments tru subscriptions splitted on customers-os. my posts are only based on the little information we got tru syncs first post. sync may give some answers why they have voted for the solution they have chosen.

Junior Member ForeverAlone is on a distinguished road
    There's so many emulators out there is no need to worry. You can all play Quake with no problem.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphr View Post
    if it's just about the desktop I agree on that, but the same will go for windows... windows will become less and less important.
    the desktop itself will become a minority solution.
    in the future it will be a mixture of a lot of different platforms, mac osx/ios/linux/android/chromeOS/steamOS/windows/you name it.

so portable (as in code) is the name of the game.
    And every real gamer will use a windows computer or wine.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphr View Post
    But the dropping of Linux and Mac has nothing to do with the plugins, since they could write a portable game browser that runs on all platforms. (in QT or whatever there's so much choice nowadays)
    Or even if they wrote it in .NET it could still run on Linux and Mac (via mono, http://www.mono-project.com)
    The QL engine/binaries and all the rest run fine on all platforms without a plugin.
    The only .NET in the upcoming standalone is the launcher, and frankly it could be rewritten in a day or so in something like Python. The engine and some bits of the renderer had some changes made to support the browser that would need to be written for Linux and OS X. There's no way to write completely portable code when the changes were in the interface between the OS and the game.

We aren't claiming that the ports are impossible, or even very hard, but we simply don't have the programmers on the team to port, and more importantly, provide ongoing maintenance once we release, especially given our timeframe to release.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    We aren't claiming that the ports are impossible, or even very hard, but we simply don't have the programmers on the team to port, and more importantly, provide ongoing maintenance once we release, especially given our timeframe to release.
    You should get one, as this an investment in the following years. At least promise the linux/mac people that you will make the ports later, before you lose all their subscriptions.

Also it's kind of paradox. There are many programmers already familiar with q3 code, for example the ones behind ioquake3 project. There's already working engine/renderer from q3.
    Last edited by insect; 11-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Junior Member zyphr is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    The only .NET in the upcoming standalone is the launcher, and frankly it could be rewritten in a day or so in something like Python. The engine and some bits of the renderer had some changes made to support the browser that would need to be written for Linux and OS X. There's no way to write completely portable code when the changes were in the interface between the OS and the game.

Might sound weird, but why not try something like a kickstarter project to hire a programmer ? I am sure there are enough Linux/Mac users who would chip in.
    I rather spend 100$ to keep QL running on Linux/Mac then to buy a windows license and run QL in a vm or under wine.

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
    There's so many emulators out there is no need to worry. You can all play Quake with no problem.
    My 2010 MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz Core2Duo definitely *won't* be able to play Quake Live in an emulator like Parallels or VMWare Fusion; it's a wretched gaming experience. For running Office 2007, emulators are fine on older hardware, but to play games in emulation, I need a much faster processor. Instead, I'll have to reboot into Windows which, frankly, is a pain in the ass.

Reading between the lines of Sponge's comments, it sounds as if the number of Linux and Mac subscribers is not high enough to warrant hiring a programmer to support those platforms.

Junior Member jlg387 is on a distinguished road
    it should have some features like quake live prism

+ Reply to Thread