+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new monitor

Member chino3000 is on a distinguished road

new monitor

hey there,
    im planing to buy a new monitor so i can get the best out of myself and stop being the annoying reason of lost games
    just kidding .. need i a new one because my ACER AL1911 sometimes shows negativ colors. it appears randomly, VGA-cable is ok. its somehow the monitor itself.

so maybe you could help me making a decision.
    untill now i read that 100Hz would be good, the differenz between 5ms and 2ms is barely notable and the paneltype should be at least TN+film.
    anything else i should be aware of? (except that a new monitor wont let me play better )

money i can raise is 150 max .. i know its pretty little but i'm a student. not really much income.
    so im aware that i cant have everything (100Hz monitors are all above 150 i think), but getting the best for less than 150 is still ok for me.

thanks!

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Use DVI and look for a 120 Hz for that price. Maybe try pricewatch.com

I was going to say look for something that is nvidia g-sync ready, but you're unlikely to find one at that price.

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    The Samsung 2233RZ (one of the first 120 Hz monitors) is sold for 70-80€ in working condition at ebay.

i can find the BW and SN version, but not the 2233RZ.
    i was searching just yesterdayy for it.

but jut to be clear: 120Hz is defenetly nessesary yes?
    100Hz arent enough?

im not sure if need a "high end" monitor though i would like to have one!
    or is the 2233RZ worth to be waiting (untill someone is offering it at ebay)?

thanks for your response!
    Last edited by chino3000; 10-25-2013 at 12:58 AM.

I don't know any 100 Hz TFT monitor. 100 Hz in TVs means something completely different and is useless for games. Normal TFT monitors accept 60 and sometimes 75 Hz, Nvidia 3D Vision ready monitors 120 Hz or more. And these can also be used for smoother gameplay without 3D glasses. More visible fps in games that render more than 60 fps (like QL) and reduced tearing.

Most games can use 120 Hz if you set the windows refreshrate to 120 Hz, in some games you have to select it with the resolution in game. For QL you have to edit the autoexec.cfg file in quakelive/home/baseq3 or create it if it doesn't exist. Then add this line:

seta r_displayRefresh "120"

...but don't do that without a 120 Hz monitor - you will get a black screen.

If you want high end for no cost: save a crt monitor from electronic waste. Good 19 or 21 inch crts can run 1152x864@120 Hz or 1600x1200@85 Hz.

yesterday i've found a flatron CRT monitor 19" on the street.
    for now i'll take this one .. i hope its working, hadn't the chance to test it yet.

but i'm still looking for the 2233RZ you mentioned before on ebay.
    are there maybe other sources on the internet where i might get used monitors?!
    some kind of marketplace?

thanks.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I would also try asking on ESR in the hardware section.

yej, got a 2233RZ for 101€ on ebay .. good deal or rather not, was it too much money maybe?
    seems as if these monitors arent offered very often on ebay germany, so i thought "you gotta get this one!".

My new 2233rz cost 350€ 4 years ago, and the cheapest new 120 Hz actually at geizhals.at is 275€, so yes, i think it's a good price.

Other advantages of the 'old' monitor: the native 1680x1050 resolution eats less gfx card power than full hd, and i prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio.

now that my "new" 2233RZ arrived, i just pluged all of the cables in and wanted to start.
    but as it always is nothing works without any problems.

my attempt to change the refresh rate from 60 Hz to 120 Hz failed causing a black screen telling me to "check singal cable".
    i installed the monitor driver and restarted, same problem.

i have a ATI radeon 1950series, im not sure if the drivers are updated as they should, im still trying to figure that out.
    im afraid that my graphic card is too old to realize 120 Hz.

perhaps some of you guys know what else i can do to solve the problem.

peace!

+ Reply to Thread