+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where do I find the a modern (2010+) equivalent to Sujoy's 2007 mousescore?

Junior Member dynamicmode is on a distinguished road

Where do I find the a modern (2010+) equivalent to Sujoy's 2007 mousescore?

I am looking for USB 2.0 mice that show no flaws. That is, they should be similar to WMO. I know one way to determine this is via metrics coined by Sujoy in his 2007 benchmark of mice. That benchmark is too old, however. Have there been any done since then, or anything that a knowledgeable member of this community would say is equivalent? My reason for this search is to avoid downgrading to windows 7 or hacking windows 8 to get my WMO's polling rate above 125 hz. USB 2.0 mice will not have this issue; their custom drivers should allow adjustment of the polling rate.

Thanks

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    There's nothing like that that I know of.

Though the current recommended, safe pick fair priced mice are from zowie (search the shape that suits you best) and from logitech (g400, g100). For example former WMO users are now using the zowie EC2 (or EC1 if you want. Cypher and cooller) and the zowie FK.

As for new releases, there's the upcoming zowie cl (cooller branded :P. Who knows if it'll be better than the rest) and bst's ninox aurora (supposedly the best ever, yet with tons of delays so might have to wait until 2014).

However, people say the WMO sensor feels smoother than current mice so it is still praised to death, no matter its issues.
    Last edited by megaman3; 10-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    No, no one has done anything quite like Sujoy's article sadly. Luckily a lot of the malfunction speed problems have been solved and most new gaming mice use 500 or 1000 Hz out of the box, so the question has turned more towards positive/negative accel or other such sensor problems in addition shape/weight/cord/buttons/durability.

I recommend just browsing the ESR hardware section:

http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2024663

http://www.esreality.com/post/238662...-gaming-mouse/

Here was my list: http://www.esreality.com/post/238662...se/#pid2387160

..also here is a list of top players and their mice: http://pastebin.com/G8qUVjp3

Junior Member Draegget is on a distinguished road
    I researched this recently and AFAIR, and as far as modern mice go, you got about 3 choices: Zowie AM (or maybe the EC ones?), Razer Deathadder or Logitech G400. IIRC, Zowie AM had slightly inferior tracking in some way, while the DeathAdder is expensive and of low build quality, so I got the G400.

Many modern mice perform badly as you're probably aware; negative accel etc. The ones mentioned above are exceptions. And old Microsoft and Logitech mice are pretty good as well, such as MX518, WMO, Intellimouse Optical, IE 3.0, etc. as you've said, but obviously, since they are discontinued, they can be hard to find - oh and you mentioned USB 1.0... although there is a "new" (9 years old but available in some places) version of the IE 3.0 which might use 2.0.

Anyway, this picture gives you a ballpark idea of what to look for, even if it's not entirely accurate: http://i.imgur.com/VxBH5.jpg

Also, read overclock.net, for example this topic: http://www.overclock.net/t/1195737/r...f-the-zowie-am
    Last edited by Draegget; 10-25-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Zowie FK > Zowie AM

imo

The tracking should be fine. It's just that it doesn't do 400 or 800 dpi, some other numbers, and some people find the low lift off distance difficult to get used to initially.

Quick G400 "review of other people's reviews", AFAIR: great tracking, supposedly high malfunction speed, great build quality and cheap. (It's bigger than a WMO though. And the ergonomics are different. It's pretty "tall". It's shaped exactly like an Mx518.)

However, I've actually gotten malfunction speed problems on my black plastic mat when playing with low sensitivity.

BTW: It performs best at 800 dpi, at which setting the accuracy might not be optimal if you use higher than 14 cm/360 or so sens. But I don't know how big the difference is between dpi settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    The tracking should be fine. It's just that it doesn't do 400 or 800 dpi, some other numbers, and some people find the low lift off distance difficult to get used to initially.
    I think it had some jitter at the higher dpi setting. IIRC it's also a bit particular about the mouse pad surface color.
    Last edited by Draegget; 10-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    What have Logitech done to the G400? Its now double the price it used to be all due to them adding a the letter S to the end. I got mine for 26 now they are 50.
    I used to recommend them alot due to their cheap price and good performance but now they lost that niche.

They still sell the G400 where I'm from.

+ Reply to Thread