+ Reply to Thread

Thread: G-sync

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road

G-sync

No that is not a typo this a new tech that Nvidia have created which allows the refresh rate of a monitor to match the frame rate so no holding back frames and creating input lag. In theory.
    ITs an add in card that needs to be installed and at the moment I think only works with Nvidia GPU cards.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/18/g-sync/

I have 144Hz monitor so should be able to play QL at 125FPS synced.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Requires a fairly modern video card with a fairly modern display (displayPort only).

The benefits of vsync without the drawbacks is quite good, but for players that have a steady framerate higher than the refresh with vsync off on an lcd I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Member TurtleBay is on a distinguished road
    In theory Quakelive at 125 Hz synced would be sweet. However, at 125 FPS I hardly ever notice any tearing (except minor tearing when plasma gun is fired towards me). I don't think tearing is a big enough issue to justify a new $300 monitor and $200+ GPU.

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    The real benefit is the newer more demanding games, max quality at 30-40FPS with vsync enabled instead of lower quality settings with vsync 60FPS vsync enabled + input lag.

Gamers would no longer need to aim for 60/120FPS, so they will not need to upgrade their GPU as often as newer more demanding games are released.

Would liek to see a demo with my own eyes and experience it by playing some FPS games first hand.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    I'm interested, but i expect a list of the "some games that do not behave well" mentioned in the FAQ:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

The price for the Asus monitor is good, but the upgrade kit should be cheaper, so i'll wait for a better offer.

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    Update:

just got my Acer XB270HA with G-Sync and it works great with QL. It is still necessary to edit/generate an autoexec.cfg with the line

seta r_displayRefresh "144" (never use this on Monitors with less than 144 Hz !)

, because the refreshrate value limits the highest possible G-Sync framerate. Most other games use the desktop refreshrate, so you have to set it to 144 Hz, too.

Framecaps should be set to a value slightly below this 144 Hz, else G-Sync clips to normal Vsync mode with input lags. In QL i'm using com_maxfps 135 now.

+ Reply to Thread