+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hitbeeps

Senior Member Flanger is on a distinguished road Flanger's Avatar

Question Hitbeeps

Hello guys.

Can anyone confirm whether hitbeeps are 100% server side, or does client anyhow predicts those too? I remember arQon said, that hitbeeps are completely server side and client plays them only after receiving an acknowledgement from server, but that was some time ago.

Considering that I have constant 65-70ms latency and when I see enemy model at X1Y1Z1 position it usually is at X2Y2Z2 at that moment, it is natural that rocket was placed at the right spot but missed. Here comes hitbeep part, it also registers direct rocket impact (cg_hitbeep 2, lowest audible sound), but turns out it wasn't direct at all, so it leads me to think, that client somehow tries to predict beeps too and wrongly registers them because of latency, same as with item pickups when prediction is turned on.

If somebody could clarify this, it would be nice to know.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanger View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether hitbeeps are 100% server side, or does client anyhow predicts those too? I remember arQon said, that hitbeeps are completely server side and client plays them only after receiving an acknowledgement from server, but that was some time ago.
    They aren't predicted.

Considering that I have constant 65-70ms latency and when I see enemy model at X1Y1Z1 position it usually is at X2Y2Z2 at that moment, it is natural that rocket was placed at the right spot but missed.
    Sadly you have to take what you see with a grain of salt under lagged conditions.

Here comes hitbeep part, it also registers direct rocket impact (cg_hitbeep 2, lowest audible sound), but turns out it wasn't direct at all,
    It doesn't have to be direct direct to get max damage. It can just be like a super close splash. I've never had it happen that the damage it states is wrong.

I'm curious as to what makes you think it did not do the damage stated. The only way I can think of to prove this is with demos from both povs, since enemy health info is not available to the client.

so it leads me to think, that client somehow tries to predict beeps too and wrongly registers them because of latency, same as with item pickups when prediction is turned on.
    Not it sure doesn't. It has been suggested that it should though, or at least that there should be an option.

I'm curious as to what makes you think it did not do the damage stated. The only way I can think of to prove this is with demos from both povs, since enemy health info is not available to the client.
    You forgot, that recently they've added possibility to see health of last man standing in CA

So in CA you need pure 300 damage to take down an opponent right? Here is the scenario: 1x1 CA, I rail enemy two times so he has 140 hp left, then I hit him one direct (judging by the hit beep frequency) and die. I expect to see him having 40 hp left, but I see that he has 74 or 76, don't remember exactly. Clearly it was a splash damage, hence I've started thinking about local prediction.

I will try to provide demos.

ADD: Maybe projectilenudge is the culprit? I have it set to 80.
    Last edited by Flanger; 09-29-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    You forgot, that recently they've added possibility to see health of last man standing in CA
    As a server option or ? I'll look for that. Certainly seeing the health of the enemy player who is alive when you are also alive would be bad.

So in CA you need pure 300 damage to take down an opponent right? Here is the scenario: 1x1 CA, I rail enemy two times so he has 140 hp left, then I hit him one direct (judging by the hit beep frequency) and die. I expect to see him having 40 hp left, but I see that he has 74 or 76, don't remember exactly. Clearly it was a splash damage, hence I've started thinking about local prediction.
    For Clan Arena, 200 armor, 100 health. Armor absorbs 2/3 of the damage.

Rail hit 1 (80 damage) = 147 armor 73 health
    Rail hit 2 (80 damage) = 94 armor 46 health

Direct Rocket Hit (100 damage) = 28 armor 12 health

However, just because you heard the low beep, doesn't mean it did 100 damage.

The max damage beep will be played when the damage is 75 HP or greater.

A player that has 94 armor and 46 health will have 44 armor and 21 health after a 75 damage hit.

If they had more than this then yeah, something odd is afoot.

I will try to provide demos.
    Ya.

ADD: Maybe projectilenudge is the culprit? I have it set to 80.
    I doubt it. Projectilenudge seems to do nothing. I've been asking about its function for some time. No one has yet to prove to me that it works, or provided an experiment in which its function could be seen.

The max damage beep will be played when the damage is 75 HP or greater.
    I didn't know that.

As for CA, I think it is embedded and can't be turned off now. Once round ends, last standing player's HP is announced in chat log. If more than one player survived, then it's not.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Certainly seeing the health of the enemy player who is alive when you are also alive would be bad.
    The info of last man (round winner) health in CA is shown after round ends so it's harmless, it can't be used to take advantage - new round resets everyone to 200/100.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    For Clan Arena, 200 armor, 100 health.
    It's 200hp and 100 armor

As for CA, I think it is embedded and can't be turned off now. Once round ends, last standing player's HP is announced in chat log. If more than one player survived, then it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mi View Post
    The info of last man (round winner) health in CA is shown after round ends so it's harmless, it can't be used to take advantage - new round resets everyone to 200/100.
    Ahh. Well for our purposes the health is not available to the client, as in enemy health cannot be read in demos, requiring both their pov and your pov for verification. Unless the last man standing info is picked up in the demo, in which case just the shooters pov demo would work assuming the enemy in question is last standing and wins the round.

It's 200hp and 100 armor
    Meh, ingrained quakeworld numbers. I will recalculate.

200 Health 100 Armor. I prefer the term "HP" to be used for both health and armor.

Rail 1 (80 damage) = 173 health 47 armor
    Rail 2 (80 damage) = 140 health 0 armor

Direct Rocket (100 damage) = 40 health 0 armor

or

Splash Rocket (75 damage) = 65 health 0 armor

+ Reply to Thread