+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone want to analyze my game?

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road

Anyone want to analyze my game?

I am still a very bad duel player. There have to be some important things I'm doing/not doing that are obvious to a good player. I was even lucky at the start of the duel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...18_02_52.dm_73

I put a video up but youtube processing made the quality very poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kXxzIzOm04
    Last edited by quakestreme; 09-28-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    Can't watch the vid. Says it's private.

Member Praxismo is on a distinguished road
    I'm pretty poor myself, perhaps worse than you but I've got a few things to say. I probably still make a lot of these mistakes myself from time to time.

Firstly you need to play a lot more duel, your aim was pretty poor, you kept rushing in to areas while knowing exactly where your opponent was, but you would rush in first and then aim; try to get your aim aligned first before you peek for greater chances of damage. Stop it with the close quarters railing, you're not good enough to do that in duel.

At the beginning why did you run straight past mega before engaging? You were lucky to survive that one. At that spawn you really shouldn't just rush straight into corridor like that anyway; against tougher opposition you will be beaten to mega and they will push you back with their lg and you will most probably get fragged or end up very low. Better to wait for a while to see if they're going for it, if they are then just spam rockets from up high and then go through port to get plasma yellow or upstairs to make their red pickup a dirty one for them if you damaged them considerably at mega. If you get the frag then get yourself to plasma yellow immediately.

When you respawn at lg and mega is up, don't just go straight for it like you did unless you know for a fact that they are low or somewhere far enough away. Wait around quietly for 2-3 seconds first to see if they really have forgotten it or they're just a little late or baiting you.

We could all work on our timing but yours seemed ok to me for your level.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPHIREM View Post
    Can't watch the vid. Says it's private.
    I've now made it public, thanks for telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxismo View Post
    Firstly you need to play a lot more duel, your aim was pretty poor, you kept rushing in to areas while knowing exactly where your opponent was, but you would rush in first and then aim; try to get your aim aligned first before you peek for greater chances of damage. Stop it with the close quarters railing, you're not good enough to do that in duel.
    Okay, I'll try to focus more on that.

At the beginning why did you run straight past mega before engaging? You were lucky to survive that one.
    Yes, I thought I already had control of mega and was trying to get out as fast as I could to him him if he was going for RA. When I get the RA spawn myself, it's annoying to get this kind of damage. Also leaving it there might put off his timing if he is expecting it again at ~38. It turned out I actually nearly lost the frag and MH.

At that spawn you really shouldn't just rush straight into corridor like that anyway; against tougher opposition you will be beaten to mega and they will push you back with their lg and you will most probably get fragged or end up very low. Better to wait for a while to see if they're going for it, if they are then just spam rockets from up high and then go through port to get plasma yellow or upstairs to make their red pickup a dirty one for them if you damaged them considerably at mega. If you get the frag then get yourself to plasma yellow immediately.
    I'll try that next time I spawn there. It seems strange at first not going for either RA or MH. Just to clarify, do you mean to get lower YA both those times?

When you respawn at lg and mega is up, don't just go straight for it like you did unless you know for a fact that they are low or somewhere far enough away. Wait around quietly for 2-3 seconds first to see if they really have forgotten it or they're just a little late or baiting you.
    yeah it can be very tempting in that kind of scenario to think you can just forcibly get it. Especially after going a frag down and if you think your opponent is low.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 09-29-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Member Praxismo is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quakestreme View Post
    Just to clarify, do you mean to get lower YA both those times?
    I'm talking about upper yellow, the one in the room with plasma gun near the 50 health bubble. Basically as far as I see it, from that spawn I would usually grab rocket and then immediately spam mega, they should get away however and then go for RA via main hall port. Really at that point it's up to you to call it, you can either go for above mentioned yellow straight away or contest RA which they will get anyway unless they have very poor movement. If you managed to get some good damage on them at mega with your spam then you can decide to try to get a frag after they pick up red or go straight to that yellow. Being aware of the fact that they would now have the superior stack (about 150 - 100, rail and lg) in most games I would probably go to upper yellow and then drop down for lg.

I'd be keen to hear any other opinions or convictions on this spawn.

Senior Member pwnstar is on a distinguished road pwnstar's Avatar
    Well I dont really play any duel anymore but one very viable bit of advice I could give would be to stop rushing like crazy running on to all kinds of shots. If the other guy hadn't missed so many sitters this could have been worse, take a bit more time around the map dont rush before checking if opponent is there.

That jump at 6:10 was hilarious lol, its better to jump to the full height and then fire the rocket to just sort of punt you up there, less health lost too.
    Last edited by pwnstar; 09-30-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typos

Member bennyhotnuts is on a distinguished road
    Your major asset is also your major downfall in my humble opinion.

You move well around the map, fast and smooth, with a good sense of rythmn, the only problem is, you neglect to account for your enemy, so you are just racing around corners without using sound to check for your enemy.

I would say you would gain a lot from slowing down, utilising the walk key a bit and heightening your awareness, the speed of this game is addicting, and like myself I think you just love blazing it around all the time.

Just my thoughts, good luck.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhotnuts View Post
    You move well around the map, fast and smooth, with a good sense of rythmn, the only problem is, you neglect to account for your enemy, so you are just racing around corners without using sound to check for your enemy.
    I actually thought his movement was one his biggest problems. It holds him back from accomplishing what he wants to, so he'd at least not lose for that particular reason.

Member bennyhotnuts is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I actually thought his movement was one his biggest problems. It holds him back from accomplishing what he wants to, so he'd at least not lose for that particular reason.
    I think if you remove the enemy from the map, his movement is good, that was my whole point, I think its more his mentality towards movement (zooming around without thought for the enemy) that is holding him back rather then his actual ability to move around the map.

+ Reply to Thread