+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Games feels delayed a lot of the time

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhotnuts View Post
    Just like to say thanks to a very useful community here, even if I don't fully solve my quake live problems, my computer will be in way better health for all the advice I have received.

That being said, going on one of the previous posts, I changed my sound quality to 16 bit 48000HZ (dvd quality) in sound properties, didn't realise it was on studio quality, not sure if its placebo yet, but this seems to have solved my sound issues completely, had 6 games earlier that felt superb.

Fingers crossed this was the crux of the issue, given sound did seem like a very noticeable issue for me if not I will keep on going with all these suggestions.
    Couple of other things you should definitely do for some quick 'input lag & responsiveness* increase tweaks.

1) Disable AERO if you haven't already.
    2) Under your window's themes, use Window's Basic Theme <-- Huge Input Lag Reduction by doing this. Yes, Window's 7 is weird like that.
    3) Disable Window's Defender.

Member bennyhotnuts is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Couple of other things you should definitely do for some quick 'input lag & responsiveness* increase tweaks.

1) Disable AERO if you haven't already.
    2) Under your window's themes, use Window's Basic Theme <-- Huge Input Lag Reduction by doing this. Yes, Window's 7 is weird like that.
    3) Disable Window's Defender.
    Have tried these, and it seems like placebo to me.

In fact my mouse feels less responsive when using windows basic, I have had good game performance in both basic and aero, doesn't seem like the delay is linked to it at all.

As an update to my overall situation, I still suffer bad delay quite a few games, but generally my experience is better, however this amounts to the delay irritating me even more, because I have a better picture of how this game plays when its going well, and I want this all the time.

Today was unbearable delay every game, so I felt the need to bump this thread to see if there are more suggestions going around.

Member MrMu is on a distinguished road
    I've played quake for many years; quake multi-player, even on lan, has always felt delayed to me. If I switch from some single player game to quake, I have to adjust my playstyle to the delay. I used to use the best cfg, system settings, CRT money could buy, now I just don't give a poot, because no matter what I do, it always feels delayed (compared to any single-player shooter).

Try out some of the advice above, but remember the delay may never disappear completely.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 10-16-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Someone should test what the real lag is between pressing a mouse (or keyboard) button to visual/audio response. Recently gaming industry started caring about stuttering, hopefully lowering input lag will be next.
    TTimo's project:
    http://ttimo.typepad.com/blog/2013/0...yer-games.html

When you have the laggy feeling you can try vid_restart. It fixes for me small stuttering that I sometimes see on my screen. Quick test is turning left/right ("+left" / "+right" binds) that should be smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMu View Post
    I've played quake for many years; quake multi-player, even on lan, has always felt delayed to me. If I switch from some single player game to quake, I have to adjust my playstyle to the delay. I used to use the best cfg, system settings, CRT money could buy, now I just don't give a ****, because no matter what I do, it always feels delayed (compared to any single-player shooter).

Try out some of the advice above, but remember the delay may never disappear completely.
    Thing is, I am not talking about minor delay, I am talking about sound being massively out of sync with player movement, fire rate and weapon switches feeling sluggish, and movement being uncontrollable, comparable to sliding around on ice skates.

I literally can't make simple rail shots on jump pads the game is so delayed sometimes, I have never had this in any other fps, I can appreciate there is delay on online games, but I have never really experienced the entire physics of a game changing because of it.

I remember the other day when I played a game with 70% RG and was hitting crazy shots, 2 games later I can't hit a simple jump pad shot, did I magically become awful in the space of 2 games? Its just infuriating, running out of suggestions to try, because I certainly am trying here.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Download 'DPC Latency Checker.'

Run it for a couple of minutes or so, take a screenshot, and post it back here. DPC Latency Checker is one of the best tools you can use to troubleshoot the type of issue you're dealing w/, system latency. Higher DPC = higher latency, lower = lower latency.

Things such as drivers, OS system settings, BIOS settings, 3rd party apps, can all attribute to the problem you're having. It definitely sounds like you have some DPC latency issues which explains your sound out of sync issue. Very common stuff, there are solutions. So, run DPC latency checker and post back your results.

Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Download 'DPC Latency Checker.'

Run it for a couple of minutes or so, take a screenshot, and post it back here. DPC Latency Checker is one of the best tools you can use to troubleshoot the type of issue you're dealing w/, system latency. Higher DPC = higher latency, lower = lower latency.

Things such as drivers, OS system settings, BIOS settings, 3rd party apps, can all attribute to the problem you're having. It definitely sounds like you have some DPC latency issues which explains your sound out of sync issue. Very common stuff, there are solutions. So, run DPC latency checker and post back your results.
    My DPC latency is 30-50 consistently and it doesn't change, always been like that.

Game is unplayable tonight, even quit a few games, really starting to make me rage, my chair is now missing a wheel.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    My DPC latency is 30-50 consistently and it doesn't change, always been like that.
    Did you test it under load?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Did you test it under load?
    Yes I did, no difference.

I did however have some success with something last night after I took all the sand out of my ladyparts. I tried changing my maxfps setting to 120, which to my surprise, got completely rid of the iceskating and sound delays. I had noticed that the fps counter was slightly flickering at 125, never changing but the 5 was flickering slightly, so I tried 120 and the numbers were completely still with no change or flicker.

I am hoping this was the cause of the issue, but remain sceptical, whatever happens I will solve this issue eventually.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I did however have some success with something last night after I took all the sand out of my ladyparts.
    What??

I tried changing my maxfps setting to 120, which to my surprise, got completely rid of the iceskating and sound delays. I had noticed that the fps counter was slightly flickering at 125, never changing but the 5 was flickering slightly, so I tried 120 and the numbers were completely still with no change or flicker.
    I'd hate to say it, but this does literally nothing other than change what the FPS counter shows.

Only integer values of 1000/x are accepted by maxfps, or values very close to it such as 111. It rounds up to the closest value otherwise.

You can verify this with fraps, with which you can see that despite maxfps 120 your fps remains at 125.

This is explained in the guide in my sig.

+ Reply to Thread