+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Games feels delayed a lot of the time

Member bennyhotnuts is on a distinguished road
    Just played on server with 40 ping and 125 fps constant, lagometer absolutely fine, yet the game was so delayed it actually made me want to punch through a wall.

No idea what the hell is going on still....

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Are you sure there's no driver setting that would for instance buffer many frames and make it very long before they are displayed?

Got pre rendered frames set to 1, lowest possible setting.

Just feels so random, one game perfect conditions, next game my character has put on some iceskates and is suffering from a mental disorder that effects his trigger finger.

The only thing that mitigates the annoyance of this completely random game performance, is playing another game..

Not my first experience with flash games being very poorly optimised for high end computers.

Its almost like I would be better off hooking up a CRT to a toaster if I want to play this game with any semblence of parity.

Senior Member swampy will become famous soon enough swampy will become famous soon enough swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhotnuts View Post
    Got pre rendered frames set to 1, lowest possible setting.

Just feels so random, one game perfect conditions, next game my character has put on some iceskates and is suffering from a mental disorder that effects his trigger finger.

The only thing that mitigates the annoyance of this completely random game performance, is playing another game..

Not my first experience with flash games being very poorly optimised for high end computers.

Its almost like I would be better off hooking up a CRT to a toaster if I want to play this game with any semblence of parity.
    It's not a Flash game...
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Just feels so random, one game perfect conditions, next game my character has put on some iceskates
    Does your netgraph look any different during these times? Is it spikier than normal? That could cause what you're describing to some extent.

????

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    The issue for me with this game, is that a good percentage of the games I play it feels unplayable for me, the best way I can describe it, is that the game feels horribly delayed. The thing I notice the most is, that the sound often won't function correctly, I can't hear anyone coming until I am already dead from rockets, and it has a general feel of every single opponent, regardless of ability, can run rings around me before my client can even respond.

The movement feels sluggish and like I am on an ice rink, my fire rate feels incredibly slow and there is a general feel of lack of fluidity and responsiveness. The overwhelming feeling is that I am moving a lot slower and firing a lot slower then opponents, which is painfully obvious when in rocket vs rocket fights.

I really don't feel like this is my imagination, given that some games the game will perform perfectly and I can hear everyone coming from a mile off, and I switch server and everything feels horribly out of sync, the biggest giveaway for me is the sound. I understand that better players utilise the walk key, but not everyone on a FFA server is walking around soundlessly for entire games, so to me its very clear when the sound is not working as it should.

If anyone else can relate to what I am talking about would appreciate any tips you have, I would list everything that I have tried, but that would take way too long
    Lemme guess, you're running Window's 7? Sounds like a good ol' case of 'INPUT LAG.' The monitor you're using btw is fine. It's fast enough.

For starters, here are a couple of threads for you to review. Window's 7, your motherboard drivers, BIOS settings and BIOS version, system settings, network settings, etc, can all contribute to the problem you're dealing w/.

Check below threads for starters:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...stant-stutters

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-7850-GFX-Help

Also, this Window's 7 Gaming Performance Guide is the best out there, IMO. It's all relevant. You'll be surprised what can increase your input lag without you even knowing it. There's quite a bit, it can be overwhelming.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1315790

I recommend going thru both of the above threads and the window's 7 gaming tweak guide as well. I don't know what your system specs are, but I imagine they're likely good enough for qlive.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    It's not a Flash game...
    My mistake, its a browser plug in, hardly a huge leap from flash games, at least that's what it most closely resembles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Does your netgraph look any different during these times? Is it spikier than normal? That could cause what you're describing to some extent.
    My lagometer is always on, and always steady, regardless of how the game feels. I get flat lines and steady ping for entire games, whilst my fps sits at a constant 125.

Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Lemme guess, you're running Window's 7? Sounds like a good ol' case of 'INPUT LAG.' The monitor you're using btw is fine. It's fast enough.

For starters, here are a couple of threads for you to review. Window's 7, your motherboard drivers, BIOS settings and BIOS version, system settings, network settings, etc, can all contribute to the problem you're dealing w/.

Also, this Window's 7 Gaming Performance Guide is the best out there, IMO. It's all relevant. You'll be surprised what can increase your input lag without you even knowing it. There's quite a bit, it can be overwhelming.

I recommend going thru both of the above threads and the window's 7 gaming tweak guide as well. I don't know what your system specs are, but I imagine they're likely good enough for qlive.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info, indeed I am using windows 7, will look into what you posted, appreciated.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    My mistake, its a browser plug in, hardly a huge leap from flash games, at least that's what it most closely resembles.
    It's pretty much Q3 (modified!) called by a plugin. There is no additional latency coming from it or something like that. Things would be the same in a standalone application not called by a browser plugin.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Good luck.
    Only thing I could add to that is that you might want to:

Disable background intelligent transfer service
    Disable windows search
    Set Win7 visual settings to basic
    Check to make sure the network inspection service of your anti virus software isn't causing extra lag
    Set the plug-in process associated with Quake Live to real time priority.

You might not want to do the above things all the time, but they can help your latency when you play the game.

Just like to say thanks to a very useful community here, even if I don't fully solve my quake live problems, my computer will be in way better health for all the advice I have received.

That being said, going on one of the previous posts, I changed my sound quality to 16 bit 48000HZ (dvd quality) in sound properties, didn't realise it was on studio quality, not sure if its placebo yet, but this seems to have solved my sound issues completely, had 6 games earlier that felt superb.

Fingers crossed this was the crux of the issue, given sound did seem like a very noticeable issue for me if not I will keep on going with all these suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread