+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Games feels delayed a lot of the time

Member bennyhotnuts is on a distinguished road

Games feel delayed a lot of the time

The issue for me with this game, is that a good percentage of the games I play it feels unplayable for me, the best way I can describe it, is that the game feels horribly delayed. The thing I notice the most is, that the sound often won't function correctly, I can't hear anyone coming until I am already dead from rockets, and it has a general feel of every single opponent, regardless of ability, can run rings around me before my client can even respond.

The movement feels sluggish and like I am on an ice rink, my fire rate feels incredibly slow and there is a general feel of lack of fluidity and responsiveness. The overwhelming feeling is that I am moving a lot slower and firing a lot slower then opponents, which is painfully obvious when in rocket vs rocket fights.

I really don't feel like this is my imagination, given that some games the game will perform perfectly and I can hear everyone coming from a mile off, and I switch server and everything feels horribly out of sync, the biggest giveaway for me is the sound. I understand that better players utilise the walk key, but not everyone on a FFA server is walking around soundlessly for entire games, so to me its very clear when the sound is not working as it should.

If anyone else can relate to what I am talking about would appreciate any tips you have, I would list everything that I have tried, but that would take way too long
    Last edited by bennyhotnuts; 09-26-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    How is your ping on these servers?

Using cl_MaxPackets 125?

What display do you have?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Use cg_drawFPS 1
    Tell us what kind of FPS you get.

I get constant 125 fps and my ping is stable aswell, ping varies on server, max ping I get is about 60 but most of the time its a stable 30 on good servers 50 on not so good servers, I have used the lagometer to check its stability.

The display I have is a Illyama prolite 2407HDS, it has a response time of 2ms, which I am led to believe is more then adequate to negate any noticeable input lag, correct me if I am wrong.

I use cl_maxpackets 125 rate 25000 etc, have tried timenudge values, but not really got on with it, graphically my setup is pretty bare and based on a competetive template.

Hope thats enough information to work with, cheers guys.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhotnuts View Post
    The display I have is a Illyama prolite 2407HDS, it has a response time of 2ms, which I am led to believe is more then adequate to negate any noticeable input lag, correct me if I am wrong.
    Response time and input lag are two completely different things.

I couldn't find any input lag numbers on that display though, other than one site that said 0 ms, which is unlikely. The general 'opinion' I get from the various links is that it has low input lag though.,

Have also researched quite a bit on the monitor, one thing I can't find out is how to disable overdrive, have read that overdrive is not necessarily a good thing, but there is no option within the menu to disable it, other then that everything is optimised as far as I am concerned.

Aside from that, I should mention that I have a pretty piss poor internet connection, 3mbps down 0.37 up, but I am led to believe that the game uses a very small amount of bandwidth so this should have no significance, am curious however whether I should reevaluate my rates etc given the slow speed.

Cheers for the input, open to any other questions or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyhotnuts View Post
    Have also researched quite a bit on the monitor, one thing I can't find out is how to disable overdrive, have read that overdrive is not necessarily a good thing, but there is no option within the menu to disable it, other then that everything is optimised as far as I am concerned.
    That's incredibly weird. I would e-mail them about this.

It's not in the instruction manual, yet it says in the feature list "overdrive ON/OFF" and suggests turning it on for fast motion strongly implying that there is such an option.

I thought Iiyama was pretty good, but they seemed to have really goofed up here.

Aside from that, I should mention that I have a pretty piss poor internet connection, 3mbps down 0.37 up, but I am led to believe that the game uses a very small amount of bandwidth so this should have no significance, am curious however whether I should reevaluate my rates etc given the slow speed.
    It's not the bandwidth, it's the routing which determines the ping times and stability. Unfortunately these are things that ISPs have less control over.

Its indeed strange about the monitor, given they advertise an overdrive feature and yet provide no explanation as to how to access/change it.

I should mention that I played on an 80 ping server last night, and my lagometer had some nasty tall thin red spikes and the occasional tiny little yellow spike. It does seem to be the case that any server over 50 ping feels sluggish as hell for me, maybe the effect of ping in this game is way more significant then I imagined, its just I have never encountered another fps game before where 50-80 ping was unplayable.

Should I be more fussed about ping? The choice of FFA servers is thin on the ground, and I am not really interested in anything else but maybe duel in the foreseeable future. I have noticed that my play experience is far far better on servers like amsterdam and maidenhead then frankfurt/milan, but I am having a hard time believing that 50+ ping should be as detrimental as it is, given I am seeing other players experience success with these pings.

Not sure, 80 ms is pretty rough. Can try cranking up the timenudge (-20) or even using autotimenudge which goes lower than -20. That's about it.

Will give it a shot when my ping is slightly higher.

Cheers for your continuing help and input.

+ Reply to Thread