+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After converting some old maps: questions galore

Junior Member jlaw is on a distinguished road

After converting some old maps: questions galore

Hey folks. I converted a few old Q3CTF maps to run in QL just for the hell of it, and that generated some questions. Mind if I dump them here?

First question I guess is how kosher it is to distribute a QL-encoded pk3 (of a map I made) outside of these forums. Does a QL-encoded pk3 only exist for the purpose of trying to get a map into the official QL rotation, or could I publically share it in the spirit of "hey, if you want you can play around with this in QL against bots"?

Next: I was 2-for-3 in getting old maps to run in QL succesfully, but one of the maps straight up crashes QL when I load it -- an access violation in qagamex86.dll. I've tried with just the bsp file in the pk3, same crash... so it's not the bots, shaders, or textures causing a problem. By any chance is there some commonly known problem with some old Q3 maps that causes that sort of crash? Or maybe any entity types or entity properties that worked in Q3 but are a no-no in QL?

Third question! What's up with texture management? Whether or not a common id texture is present seems to be highly dependent on what set of map pk3s I happen to have downloaded on a given QL installation (as opposed to the textures all being in the base pakn.pk3 files). Same goes for sound files too, actually. When you're making a new QL pk3, do you typically just package up a bunch of potentially-redundant textures and sounds to deal with that issue? Is there some convention on the minimal set of QL pk3s to test against, to see what textures might be missing?

And laaaaast question: In QL, the only CTF mode is Team Arena CTF as far as item spawning is concerned, correct? It looks like entities with the "notq3a" property set are spawning, and entities with the "notta" property set are not spawning. I'm not overlooking any votable setting or console variable that changes that behavior, am I?

Thanks! Sorry if this is covering old ground, but after some searching/reading I still haven't nailed down any good answers for that stuff.

More about #2 (the crash):

I've got several instances of a func_train trundling around a loop of path_corners. Some of those path_corners also trigger a target_speaker; or in some of these cases, there's a wait at each corner, and target_delay and target_speaker entities hooked in so that a noise plays whenever the func_train "moves out" from the corner after the wait. An example with a tiny 2-corner loop:
    Code:
    path_corner has targetname X, wait 4, target Y

path_corner has targetname Y, wait 0.5, target X

target_delay has targetname Y, wait 4, target (some speaker entity)

target_delay has targetname X, wait 0.5, target (some speaker entity)
    If I rip all of the func_trains out of the map, no crash. Also no crash if I instead rip out all of the target_speakers that are triggered (directly or through a target_delay) by a func_train hitting a path_corner. So that's interesting. (?)

As far as I know this is a legal way to use those entities. I see that the current entities.def just describes the target property of path_corner as "point to next path_corner", but at least in Q3 it could also trigger other entities (an explicit call of G_UseTargets in the ReachedTrain function). Anyway it works in Q3, but something about this trains/corners setup seems to be making QL very unhappy.

Has there been any talk in the past about QL changes to func_train or path_corner? I guess the QL gamecode (source for qagamex86.dll) hasn't been open-sourced, has it?

Since these trains are cosmetic and can't be blocked by players, I guess I can simulate the same audio behavior by using independent chains of target_delays/target_relays/target_speakers kicked off by a trigger_always, set up with the right delays so that the sound just happens to play as the train leaves each corner. A quick test shows that this doesn't crash QL. It'll be a pain in the neck though because to make the sound match up I'll have to calculate the travel time for each leg of the train's path.
    Last edited by jlaw; 09-24-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Y'all are kind of quiet in here.

Well I made up my own answers to the above stuff and took my best shot. Note that these are just quick conversions of some of my old maps because I thought it would be nice to have a QL-playable version handy. I didn't change geometry or lighting, didn't re-tune the entities for differences between Q3 and QL, and didn't add the QL advertisement billboard.

jlctf1: http://files.neogeographica.com/down.../ql-jlctf1.zip
    jlctf2 (titans): http://files.neogeographica.com/down.../ql-jlctf2.zip
    jlctf3 (q3wcp15): http://files.neogeographica.com/down.../ql-jlctf3.zip

The only significant remaining issue is that if I play the Quake Live version of jlctf3 against bots for a long time, sometimes the rotating red emblem from the floor of the red flagroom will decide to relocate itself to the center of the map. (This is a func_rotating comprised of a single nonsolid brush.) Can't figure that one out though, so I'm going to call it as done as it's gonna be!

If anyone else takes a look at these and sees some other problem, please go ahead and let me know though.

+ Reply to Thread