+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quora: What tangible value does a person gain from playing video games non-profess

Junior Member adriankal is on a distinguished road

Quora: What tangible value does a person gain from playing video games non-profess

I've just answered the question on Quora regarding the topic. My answer is here: http://www.quora.com/What-tangible-v...professionally .

What do you think? What do you gain from plaing Quake? I think it is good to show people on Quora that Q is something special, so write your thoughts there or at least upvote my answer! (posted as Adrian Kalbarczyk)

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    As a primitivist, I think first person shooters are the most natural form of competition that's not real-life that you can get. Monkeys and apes fight all the time in the wild, human beings have this instinct as well. Shooting guns isn't natural, but hiding, fast movement, 3d spatial environment (especially how much quake makes use of vertical space), and thinking in this kind of way, seems much, much more natural and visceral than just looking at numbers and making guesses or calculating hypothetical moves at a board game.

There are studies out there that set out to prove that "strategic" games like Civilization are good for mental function, and then they assumed that action games would show little or not improvement. That's been the "orthodox" way of thinking. What they actually found is that it's the fast-paced action games that seem to improve people the most.
    Last edited by quakestreme; 09-11-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Junior Member adriankal is on a distinguished road
    Great insight, but my intent was to spread the word about Q on Quora. Could you please answer the question on Quora?

+ Reply to Thread