+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate scoring suggestion

Member Cyris is on a distinguished road

Alternate scoring suggestion

As an old-school FPS fan I can't believe I waited this long to get into Quake Live, but anyways I've had this idea for a variation on the classic deathmatch scenario:

Have the amount of damage you deal factor in to your score. This would make taking down an opponent with megahealth and/or heavy armor more rewarding, and you would at least get partial credit for damaging an enemy if someone else comes in and fires the fatal shot. The scoring formula would be something like this:

Damage + (Frags * 100) - (Suicides * 100)

The winner would be the first player to 10,000 points or so, which is roughly equivalent to 50 frags. For balance purposes, you would only get the points for the amount of health your opponent had. If you frag an opponent with 10 health with a direct hit from the rocket launcher, you only get 110 points: 10 for his remaining health and 100 for the frag itself, whereas fragging a player from full health would be worth 200 points.

Additionally, I wanted to suggest a combo system for multiple frags in rapid succession. You would have a score modifier that is set to 100% by default. Every frag raises this modifier by 10%, and over time the modifier drops by 1% every 10 seconds, stopping when it returns to 100%. Being fragged will reset this modifier to 100% as well. The exact increments and decrements of this modifier could be changed for balance purposes of course.

I was wondering if such an idea would work in a Quake Free-For-All or Team Deathmatch. Would it be an interesting or fair game type modifier?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I like the idea for FFA (not TDM!) but I think it might be too late to change it... it would have to be an option in Start-A-Match.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to mod this into Quake III Arena or something, see how well the idea works in practice.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    The hard part would be to get people to play Q3A.

I don't see why not. And if all else fails I could experiment on bots.

Senior Member Balarick is on a distinguished road
    please do this. it will be fun.

I wouldn't know the first thing about modding. Know anyone that does?

Additionally, I was thinking about another rule where you would recover 10% or so of the amount of damage you dealt as health whenever you get a frag. I think such a mechanic would encourage a slightly more aggressive style of play befitting a free-for-all match. Maybe there would be slightly less health pickups on the map to balance this. It's certainly better than drawing things out by running away or taking cover to regenerate your health like in a lot of modern shooters, at least.

There are two Start-A-Match options that may interest you ;
    One makes health bubbles appear around people who were shot and the other gives directly health when you deal health damage ("vampiric") with an adjustable conversion rate.

+ Reply to Thread