+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong in FFA?

Member kammy is on a distinguished road

What am I doing wrong in FFA?

Just like the CA thread, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong in FFA.
    I can usually get about 30% acc, but I still don't manage to ever get even close to winning or at least getting a decent ammount of frags.. I find myself in alot of bad situations often, and I'm not sure if it's because of my aim, my positioning or something else..

http://www.mediafire.com/?2c6n5f0lnvd5n0b < demo of a game here

I would appreciate if someone has any ideas that could improve my game.

CONFIG:

1 - gaunlet
    2 - mg
    3 - shotgun
    e - lg
    q - rail
    f - rockets
    r - grenades
    c - plasma

sensitivity is 50cm/360
    and my fov is 115

Junior Member mobile is on a distinguished road mobile's Avatar
    All I can say is what others would say. Keep playing, tune up your config and watch youtube videos of top players. I know that there are a number of threads serving as guides in improving your FFA game. I writing via my mobile phone so Im unable to produce these links for you but search it out...

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    First off, I didn't watch your demo and I don't plan to (honestly).

FFA is about balancing constant damage output with awareness and timing of the power ups.

Even keeping in mind that the goal is to get the most frags possible I would recommend not 'chasing' frags. If you watch some very strong FFA players in game you will notice that they shrug off things like railing someone twice and not getting a frag, hearing a direct rocket hit on that spam you shot down the hallway, and this sort of thing. Instead they seem to focus on constantly finding the most opportune position to deal damage. Good MG use is vital in this regard. Deal the damage and the frags will come.

I find that when I am not doing so well in a map its sometimes because I get caught chasing around some guy trying to get those last MG hits in while other players are near me gunning me down or stealing 'my' frags.

In addition, make sure you are all over the Quad. On of your goals is to stack up and make a great quad run with the LG or Shotgun. 5-7 quick frags can make the difference between 3rd place and 1st! Finally, chose either the RA or the MH (depends on the map really) and time it. Once you start getting the hang of knowing how long it takes you to get from point A, B or C to the power up on the other side of the map you will find yourself automatically thinking in terms of grabbing this weapon, heading this way, shooting spam in this direction and then ending up near the PU as it spawns.

FFA is fun because of how chaotic it is. It is also challenging because of how chaotic it is.

Final advice, if you see a really strong player spectate them for a while. Try and think about what they are doing and why.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    ^ All good advice. Maybe try lowering your FOV. I used 115 for ages but recently came down to 105 and it seems to have helped my aim a little.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I watched the demo.

Judging by your movement I'd say that the 50 cm/360 is a bit too low for you. You seemed to have trouble with certain motions, and difficulty doing the quick tracking with hitscans.

Fov 115 is quite high, I recommend using between 90 and 110.

Key config seems fine.

In-game you had some weapon select issues, like grenade vs. mg, and choosing a weapon too late missing opportunities for a good shot.

There is a yellow armor up on top on overkill, could have gone for that instead of just the red. A lot of times you seemed to go for the RA when it wasn't apparent that the coast was clear. All it takes is one good shot and you're in the pit.

You seemed to ignore the quad/regen. Unfortunately because they have these powerups in FFA, you really have to make a strong effort to grab them or at least contest them in some way or you will not have winning chances.

Some of your dodging was really bad. It's always dangerous to move backward in a rail to rail fight because it's similar to standing still in that you lack side to side movement.

Although this was as mediocre performance from me, I still won by a reasonable margin and it will give you a slightly better idea of how to handle the map.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1gnolfjlr...04_16_23.dm_73

Really though I thought you looked like a promising QL player. Sometimes people post their games and I'm privately thinking like wow, this guy has a really, really, really long way to go. Not so in your case.

Junior Member Dedolor is on a distinguished road
    Watched the demo and yeah.. everything that CoolMike said. Start with paying attention to quad timing. If other players are timing quad you need to challenge them for it. If you lose but are able to deal damage on the quad taker changes are he will loose it to somebody and that could be you. Also try to have a basic plan from each spawn point on a map like a route to take to the nearest weapon and from there to the next weapon or armor etc also keeping good position in mind and try to get frags on your way. This way you are less occupied with wondering where to go next. Play with it and figure out what works and what gets you killed fast. Learn to hold back sometimes and wait for players to move into a position where you have the upper hand and don't move into a fight to eager. Last tip.. if you find yourself with 2 health left just let yourself be killed for a respawn. Your aim is ok but you need to work on movement.

Member kammy is on a distinguished road
    Thank You!

No.. seriously, all your advice is really helpful, I'm going to try timing quad and other powerups.
    And since I'm a UT player, strafe jumping is a bit wierd, and I need to get used to it (practice I think)

About the mouse sens:
    I recently stopped using mouse acceleration.. so I need to get used to aiming hitscans, and quick turns/ strafe jumping.

But thank you all, and it's nice to know I still have some hope of being decent

EDIT:
    Put all of your tips into action, and managed to win a game, TY!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1hkvw4c4uxoq4ap
    Last edited by kammy; 08-22-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Uploaded a demo

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    50/360 is insane for FFA. I'd say it's insane in Duel as well if you are not Strenx.

1) time items
    2) look for ongoing fights and just finish off ppl
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kammy View Post
    Put all of your tips into action, and managed to win a game, TY!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1hkvw4c4uxoq4ap
    Nice! You definitely played better in this one.

Sucked at ~2:25 when you were stacked and then just walked into the pit :-/

It still looks like certain motions are hard for you, but you'll probably sort that out in time.

A couple ok quad runs, and knocking a quad carrier into the pit. GJ.

Banned the_devil is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kammy View Post
    Just like the CA thread, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong in FFA.
    I can usually get about 30% acc, but I still don't manage to ever get even close to winning or at least getting a decent ammount of frags.. I find myself in alot of bad situations often, and I'm not sure if it's because of my aim, my positioning or something else..
    *SNIP*
    Hi Kammy,

sorry don't have time to examine your demo. However here are some tips that may lead to an improvement in your FFA performance. This information is based on my first hand experience.

a.) It is NOT about aim.

To win an FFA game you have to get kills. You have to understand that getting kills mean you put the last few pellets or splash damage that reduces other players health to less than or equal to 0. Ie. it is not necessary to be the best player on the server to win. I have won games where there have been far better players than me on the server and vic-a-versa also.

b.) There is a luck element.

This can be reduced by maximising your damage output. To increase your rate of damage output, yes having a good aim will help, but what is even better is if you are constantly firing. Think about prediction spam. if you think a bunch of players are going to be fighting in a particular map area, spam rockets/ grenades whatever in that area to increase your rate of damage output. Always be looking to do damage and maximise that output as soon as you spawn. For example, it may seem intuitive to stop trying to inflict damage and go to fetch a few health bubbles so you can stay alive longer. but you have to remember with FFA it is not how many times you die or you accuracy rate but how quickly yo uare able to get to the fraglimit. ie lets say I have an accuracy of 30% and I fire 200 shots- i do 60 units of damage. Anotehr player has higher accuracy of 50% but the accuracy is because he is much more careful about his shots and only firs 100 shots - they do 50 units damage, which is less. Always be looking for damage output rate.

c.) Strategy

When you start getting better and hitting top 3 regularly, think about altering the way you play based on the other players on the server. If there is a good player on the server try to position yourself as much as possible behind him - Ie dont be the one sandwiched between him and others. This requires time and you need to understand the mentality of the regulars. Be mindful of their positioning on maps.

d.) Map knowledge.

Go to practice mode, and load up an FFA map. Walk into a room and try to figure out at which area in the room, you would have a hard time aiming and shooting at other players - figure out which areas you would like players to be for you to finish them off with the various weapons available. This should then give you a clue when playing, where to stand and not be drawn into areas of the map where you will be an easy target.

e.) Personal preferences.

Ignor everything people tell you about fov settings, mouse settings, sitting positions etc. In my experience these are all personal preferences and have no bearing on performance. Ie you pick one and get used to it. You should also bear in mind that there does exist a correlation between hardware specification (network latency, 120Hz monitors, etc) that does impact performance to a degree and if you plan on competing with the best players you should consider having the best set of hardware as a prerequisite.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread