+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nothing hits with 20 ping

Junior Member preme is on a distinguished road

Nothing hits with 20 ping

I live in Cali but any time I try to play on LAX nothing registers with 22ish ping. The registration on Texas or Chicago servers is better with 50-70 ping. I'm not a noob, it's not in my head, and it's not a matter of adjusting to it. Something is technically wrong. I have tried a few different player configs and played around with all these settings but cannot solve it:

cl_packetdup 0 and 1
    rate 16000 and 25000
    cl_maxpackets 63 and 125
    cl_timenudge 0, -10, -20
    cl_autotimenudge 0 and 1 (1 is completely broken btw)

There are no lag spikes. Just nothing registers. My LG alone drops 10% whenever I play LAX.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Upload a demo to filedropper of you playing on LAX.

Also do \writeconfig preme in console, and pastebin preme.cfg and I'll have a look and see if there's anything weird that could be causing a problem.

I ran around some FFA servers briefly using machine gun to show the problem. The first is lax with 22 ping and the second is chi with 72 ping against roughly equal players. Not the greatest example but hopefully good enough for this purpose.

http://www.filedropper.com/a_4
    http://www.filedropper.com/b_1

Accuracy goes from 35% to 41% even though the ping is increased by 50ms. With 22 ping I should be able to hit 42% or higher against those players. This is the best example I could do for now because nobody is really playing atm. Earlier I had a friend who is very experienced with the game and was in the cloud 9 quake 3 team spec me in CA. He also agreed that it looked like something was wrong on LAX and my LG wasn't hitting properly. Then we messed around on CHI and the registration was much better for me.

http://pastebin.com/1eRq4299
    The config is toxjq's with minor changes.

It's actually a much worse problem when using LG against better players in CA. When some CA servers get people on them I can record better demos.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I watched the demos and looked through the config.

Nothing particularly odd in the config. One thing is, do you always use timenudge -20? Having it set so high is likely to cause a lot of choppiness in enemy players.

The demos were more interesting. What I saw was substantially different aiming on the LA server vs. the CHI server. On CHI you had a much healthier mixture of strafe aiming and mouse aiming. On LA you were mouse aiming more, and moving the mouse too much often overshooting.

As to why you were doing this is a mystery.

Demos don't show exactly what you see on screen, and it makes sense that you would be seeing players differently at 70 ms than you would at 22 ms and so were responding differently to them. It could be placebo, as in you know your ping is low and you think there's a problem and so behave differently. You could have been 'warmed up' on IL and not on LA.

It could be some combination of these, all, or none of the above.

I wouldn't use timenudge -20 at 22 ms (or any ms personally), maybe -9 or even 0. This might not have anything to do with it though.

Using timenudge 0 makes it worse. It does look like I'm overshooting but I am aiming exactly the same and was warmed up for both servers.

Quote Originally Posted by preme View Post
    Using timenudge 0 makes it worse.
    Try -9.

It does look like I'm overshooting but I am aiming exactly the same
    Obviously you were not aiming the same and were overshooting as the demo proves, the question is why.

Maybe reduce playerlean? It is set to 1 for everything but the RL in your config (and tox's I suppose). Could try 0.7, or 0.5, that way you might tend to overshoot less with a low ping since you'd be getting the information sooner. Only issue is whether this would make you undershoot with a high ping.

What I meant by aiming the same was physically moving the mouse the same I always do. The cm/360 sensitivity I use I have been using for years in FPS games and it was never a problem until I started playing this game recently. I reduced playerlean to 0.7 and it helped, and then I reduced playerlean to 0.5 and it helped even more.

Anyway thanks for the help because your suggestions worked.
    Last edited by preme; 08-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Member TaiSharQuake is on a distinguished road
    I don't know why everyone is being so nice to you, I've complained endlessly about this in regards to VA being a horrible server, yet they just tell me it's in my head lol.
    Even though I can switch to say TX and get better accuracy with double the ping. Or switch to a IL server with 10 ms better ping and get 2-3 times the accuracy.
    Some servers act differently than others for some reason, and I agree with you completely.
    You join 1 server have a great game. Join another immediately after and can't hit anything, even though you aren't doing anything differently.
    I just left a iFT game on VA. For the first 3 rounds I was at 0% acc, because every shot was going through, even though I have <30 ms ping. Yet I can jump on a IL server playing Clan Arena and get close to 60% rail accuracy in the first several rounds, and average around 30-40% by match end.
    Yet it's in my head.

Yeah I just went like 0-10 on lax with ca ****ties calling me names but it is 100% a technical problem. Reducing cg_playerlean does seem to help but the problem is still there. I am not overaiming regardless of how it looks in the demos. Any config any mouse etc and the problem is still there. I do have some jitter on my line to west servers but it shouldn't be making the game unplayable.
    http://i.dslr.net/diagnosis_results/...wcpingplot.png
    http://i.dslr.net/diagnosis_results/...8wcbigplot.png

+ Reply to Thread