+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on standard players joining pro matches

Junior Member Frank_Furter is on a distinguished road

Thumbs down Question on standard players joining pro matches

So, thinking I'd relive some of my old glory days (and get my kids involved!), I signed up for a month of Pro. I created two standard accounts for the kids, and went to each of our three Macs and loaded the plugin and downloaded the content.

Then the fun began.

I won't even get into the exact issues, but needless to say, we had one issue after another. Not working properly on Chrome (Windows or Mac), so I had to resort to Safari. Plugin would occasionally crash on our older iMac (Intel). When it did work, we kept getting the window with just the Quake logo and the word 'Quit'. Finally got one practice session working.

I created a server, got my son to join in with some help, so went to the other Mac and tried to let my daughter join, but kept getting the 'Upgrade to Pro' window every time she'd click the 'Join' button on my server. Confusing, as this was a private server, one PC joined fine.

I then start reading that only certain maps are made available to Standard users(?), so perhaps that's the issue with all of this. If it's because it was downloading content in the background, and couldn't load the map because it didn't have it yet, why hide this? Why not say so in the game window?

Regardless of the issues, it was a disappointing time. We play Minecraft together, and even my kids can start games, create a multiplayer server, etc. I'm glad I didn't pay for a year subscription.

I guess I'm not posting to get answers, but rather to rant a bit and express my frustration with what *could* be a great online experience. I'm an IT professional, I like to think I know a little about browser, flash, system requirements, etc, so that makes it all the more disappointing.

All in all, Quakelive has a long ways to go to appeal to the casual gamer. Perhaps they aren't interested in this market, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm cancelling my subscription, and might check back in next year.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Furter View Post
    If it's because it was downloading content in the background, and couldn't load the map because it didn't have it yet, why hide this? Why not say so in the game window?
    Yeah, the message should be more informative than just 'Quit'. Not a big work to fix that.

The issue - you should be able to invite up to 5 standard players as a pro subscriber. But QL works better on windows or linux, mac support is weak. One IP for 3 players might be a problem too.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Just some general thoughts for future tries:

- One pro subscribed player can invite up to 5 (I think, it was 3 once...) standard players to premium maps. Otherwise the standard accounts can only join servers running the maps from this months rotation. It sounds like you forgot to invite your daughters account (adding each other as friends, send invite via the friends menu -> right click: invite)

- There are some issues when you want to connect with different PCs from one network. There are solutions iirc, just check the player help&support forum

- To solve the map downloading problem, you should wait until the download on your PC (the account with pro subscription downloads all maps at once afaik) is complete, abort the download on the other PCs and copy the files over from your PC

Other than that, I can only encourage you to check the sticky topic in the support forum or even post your issues there. I'm pretty sure you get them sorted out.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member barbarossa is on a distinguished road barbarossa's Avatar
    Heiho,

great to see you introducing your next generation to quake!

Either create a server for standard players or you have to invite your kids to the server individually. You can do this in the process of server creation. If nothing helps, I'd be willing to help, so friend me, if you like.
    drunk member of drunk clan obviously drunk, lacking any accuracy

Junior Member Frank_Furter is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Thanks for the input

Thanks for everyone's offers of help and assistance. I might reiterate that one standard player was able to join ok, but not the next. I imagine it is most likely what some of you said - multiple players on the same IP. I understand that unlike Minecraft, Quake is creating a WAN game, as opposed to a LAN game. That being said, it shouldn't be such a hassle. We all know it doesn't have to be, but due to preconceived notions of licensing, or fairness, or just Quake's inability to hire savvy developers, it's not working (without some work on my side).

That's sorta my point, I shouldn't have to try so hard (and due to time constraints, won't) to get it working.

Individuals joining up on internet servers works great, but LAN play appears to be a work in progress...or a failure....:^)

Thanks again, though, I've already cancelled my account, but I'll look it up again when I have some time to kill. I may look into getting Q3 installed, if it's available as a Mac client.

Thanks!

Senior Member barbarossa is on a distinguished road barbarossa's Avatar
    Bad news you already have given up.

I guess your router is just bad at NAT or not configured the right way, but I will try myself tomorrow if three clients is possible from one IP.

Best Regards!
    drunk member of drunk clan obviously drunk, lacking any accuracy

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I too play with my kids. We've had no problems getting all 3 of us into a game from one location. However, I've taken the time to adapt my custom config for their laptops as well.

To make sure there's no conflict, use the following in each config:

seta net_port "27972"
    net_restart

but with a slightly different number for net_port. I think we use 72, 75 and 78 for the 3 machines.
    Any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from a hacker (to paraphrase Arthur C Clarke)

+ Reply to Thread