+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Why my weapons have no effect

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I watched the three demos. I haven't noticed any occasion where you took more damage than supposed or dealt less than expected. You get some direct hits on occasion indeed but you must remember that direct hit doesn't mean instant death, unless the enemy is low on health and armor like you.

If you want, give a specific example (timestamped) of what you judge incorrect so we can tell you exactly what's going on.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I dont usually get into the nuts and bolts of things like this,,,but what do I use to watch his demo's??

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlife1 View Post
    I dont usually get into the nuts and bolts of things like this,,,but what do I use to watch his demo's??
    The simplest way:

Place demo files in home/baseq3/demos

Load a practice game and type in the console:

demo demo0001.dm_73

I recommend renaming the files first so that they don't overwrite anything that might already be there. I named them term1.dm_73 term2.dm_73 and term3.dm_73

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Ok a quick fix:
    - halve your sensitivity
    - stop ignoring sound

Should allow you to shoot at enemies before they kill you and also start actually hitting them instead of every possible wall nearby.
    This.

Also decide where you want to hit, aim there and shoot. Don't just shoot.

Try to shoot the ground with the rocket launcher so that you can take advantage of the splash damage.

Actually a lot of what I would say to this I said to this guy as well: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-in-clan-arena

Listen for the beeps, if you don't hear beeps it means you aren't hitting. By default the crosshair also blinks red when you get a hit.

Have you seen some good players play before? Not saying you should emulate them exactly, but there's an obvious difference in mouse control/movement there that you could look into.

Member Terminus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all of your help, but this isn't the game for me. Noobs seem to exist for frags for the experienced guys, like settings, movements, knowledge of maps, etc. My inability to hit targets... is crazy. I mean, I played call of duty on the hardest level the very first time and while I took my lumps, I eventually made it through using strategy and could at least begin to hit targets and learning the game wasn't equivalent to learning a new programming language while being devastated against much better competition with no level of players at my own skill level to play unless maybe I purchase the pro version... all the while, there's no way to learn to get better as the practice levels all continue to blow up so I'm stuck trying to learn against guys that use me to pad their frag total... in the meantime, I learn nothing unless I put way too many hours into it than I have... and unless I quit now, I will try and get absolutely nothing else done. Its not the game, its my ability to play it or lack thereof, coupled with no opportunity to learn without way too much frustration and time. Thanks again, but I think I'm done... you guys were great.

Your problems are basic..Its the way we all started.Some got it sooner than others. Im still just an average player after 13 years.And I still play(some times). Im no Pro,,but if you you need a practice buddy I can help you a little bit with what I can.The things I dont do is Configs,or fancy RJ"s (dont addlib folks) .Just the tools they gave me.. Let me know.............If not,,then we are glad you gave it a shot,, and walked away without hate..
    Last edited by lowlife1; 08-19-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    I mean, I played call of duty on the hardest level the very first time and while I took my lumps, I eventually made it through using strategy and could at least begin to hit targets
    Cod isn't much of a competitive platform though. It's like comparing tic tac toe to chess.

and learning the game wasn't equivalent to learning a new programming language
    As someone who is learning to program I can say that this is a gross exaggeration.

A lot of it is natural.. I mean how would you move if you were in a real life paintball game, or laser tag or w/e. Never played either, but a lot of getting over the first hump is getting to the point where you would do more or less what you would do there in terms of movement/positioning/aim.

Tracking someone is the same as keeping track of someone in your house. You kind of hear where they are and then imagine they are where you last heard them, or are traveling from that point. You hear footsteps, you gauge distances, etc.

Getting rockets to go where you want is arguably less difficult than playing catch, because the projectile always goes the same speed.

while being devastated against much better competition with no level of players at my own skill level to play unless maybe I purchase the pro version... all the while, there's no way to learn to get better as the practice levels all continue to blow up
    Blow up? Like how.

I mean you could just load practice game and:

\devmap thunderstruck
    \give all
    \god
    \addbot anarki 3 or 4 or 5

Can practice forever heh. Thunderstruck is in the map rotation so it should be fine.

so I'm stuck trying to learn against guys that use me to pad their frag total... in the meantime, I learn nothing unless I put way too many hours into it than I have...
    Based on your games in the last two weeks, the current amount of hours you've put in is _way_ more than you need. It's a simple matter of making the most of your time. Probably you should play CA instead of FFA so that you can get a feel for the basics as you get all the weapons in CA and there is no self-damage.

and unless I quit now, I will try and get absolutely nothing else done.
    Well gaming should never interfere with your real life in a negative way. So if you find that it does then yeah, take a break or do something else.

you guys were great.
    Sure, any time.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    I learn nothing unless I put way too many hours into it than I have...
    No, you learn nothing if you spend time doing things wrong. And the amount of time doesn't matter.
    There's no reason you shouldn't have picked up the basic coordination by now (80+ games played, come on!) unless there's some major hindrance in the working.
    Like I said, halve your mouse sensitivity. Having the tiniest bit of control over your mouse will make you look like God to these tier 1 players. The way it is now, you don't stand a chance even if you play for 2 more years.
    I also recommend playing some more CA. You'll most likely get completely trashed right now, but it doesn't matter; get through it quickly and let the system put you in appropiate tier (it takes 10 matches, I think). Then you can start shooting people for real. There will be teammates to help you, there will be every weapon at your disposal and no distractions (items, powerups) to care about. Just kill people. With the right settings (there's nothing to it, really, just a basic cvar or two to allow you to move properly rather than flail around wildly) you'll get 10x better in no time.

You can do that..One of my friends is Tier1..He plays CA..Give him a ring...Im sure he wont mind..He is a good guy..Also Clans around here from the ones I have observed are really good People.And are more than willing to help. Just a thought....
    Last edited by lowlife1; 08-20-2013 at 09:37 AM.

*baerlic
    Try some team games instead, they're way more fun imo

+ Reply to Thread