+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Q2dm1

*FoReVeR_KiLlA

Q2dm1

So I'm new to Quake Live. I use to play Q2 back in the day... like.. early 2000s maybe. I was pretty good and ended up playing freeze tag and rail guns only. Is Q2DM1 (The Edge) on Quake Live?

It's weird playing.. I use to be beast mode. Now I just get destroyed by that electric weapon that never exsited before. Oh Well.

I played on MSN Gaming Zone mostly, Gamespy, and the All Seeing eye.

Man I miss Q2.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Yep. The Edge is there. It's probably not on this month's standard map rotation though.

Junior Member Puttenoar is on a distinguished road
    Yo man, i see you miss Q2, i did too en then i found Quake2 Starter from Tastyspleen. It has a good ingame server browser, it works like a charm go check it out. http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/

You can even use your own pakfiles, if you still have m :P

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Despite that you can also play freezetag in ql. Even insta freeze. It's not that broadly available because you need at least 2 paying members to spawn and populate a server. However if you like freezetag you should join #clanchill on quakenet if you're from europe. It's a kinda public clan made for freezetag. Talk to DocP kanzo or kryty. If I'm not mistaken there are even active leagues. It's a good place to get started I think.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*cuad
    The Edge is there. You can open it in practice mode if it's not currently in the map rotation.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuad View Post
    The Edge is there. You can open it in practice mode if it's not currently in the map rotation.
    But you have to download the map once. I think due to save bandwidth they made the change that standard accounts only download rotation maps.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*viscrom
    I'm on a normal account and kind of new to QL still. Every time the game tries to load a map that I don't have it downloads it on the spot.

The maps AFAIK are saved to:
    $YourUserAccountPath\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\baseq3

I'm not sure if there's an official place to download them all.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    It downloads it on the spot if the server you are on has it. Obviously, a local server won't have the map if you don't have it already.

There's no official place to download them all. You can download them with links like this though :

http://cdn.quakelive.com/assets/2011.../corrosion.pk3

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    I remember the all-seeing-eye.

That program was so cool! I remember how exciting it was to log in and see that a group of your buddies had jumped onto some random server. I used to use that and multiple Q3A installs to play across the different versions (mostly 1.30 and 1.32 but you could find good games all over the place in 2003).

It was also a great way to discover new mods and modes.

Its funny that the features we take for granted in QL were so exciting to have in an external program 10 years ago.

+ Reply to Thread