+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Linux client: Replace DGA mouse with either XInput2 or SDL

*TheMagicianKing
    Ok, you can't even get steam working properly with your system library and you're telling me to fix my system? Fine, when I get home I'll attach the X org logs as well. DGA is active in my X(whether I want it to or not). And DGA2 is DGA1 inclusive, XF86DGA calls are DGA1, XDGA is DGA2. In the console it prints 2.0 because of line 936 where it is copying those values directly from the server. It has no merit on the calls actually made, it's like asking DirectX11 for its version info and then requesting a DX9 API, or requesting OpenGL 4.3 for it's version info and then proceed to call OpenGL 1.2 functions(which is what quakelive is doing btw).
    Last edited by TheMagicianKing; 08-07-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicianKing View Post
    Fine, when I get home I'll attach the X org logs as well. DGA is active in my X(whether I want it to or not).
    Good. And please, start a new thread in Tech Support, let's keep this thread here about convincing id to put X Input 2.0 support in.

*TheMagicianKing
    Xorg log:
    http://pastebin.com/PFxrnLV6

The error seems to happen when running from firefox but not from qlprism. The DGA that runs in qlprism is severely broken however. Moving the mouse left causes the character to turn right and moving it right causes nothing to happen at all. I'll try to investigate that part with the qlprism guys.

The reason I went through all of this is to show to you that it is not viable anymore to be using DGA. XInput2 is widely available and does what Id needed DGA for in the first place. Hence I recommend replacing DGA with it, which will save anyone running Xorg older than 2009 a lot of issues trying to get their DGA to work properly.

And now something not shrunk:
    http://imagebin.org/266808 (remains there for a maximum of 14 days)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TheMagicianKing; 08-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    [706495.734] (WW) Ignoring unrecognized extension "XFree86-DGA"
    Is that normal in your opinion? Do you have two DGA extensions, one built-in and one external that confuses libXxf86dga or something?

You meant younger than 2009, not older. Linux port of QL was released before Xorg 1.7, hence DGA was the only choice (and still works on all systems OOTB, yours is a strange exception).

*TheMagicianKing
    That was actually me trying to disable the extension. That is what you seeing there, I haven't bothered taking it out yet. But with qlprism I can even show you the dga version being used (2.0).

Code:
    22:46.57 <QKO> Lam: the update fixed it it seems o_O
    22:48.45 <QKO> (x did not get upgraded)
    22:51.04 <Lam> what was updated then?
    23:03.27 <QKO> Lam: nvidia drivers and a bunch of unrelated crap
    IOW, I was right and it was a distro problem (or maybe a config problem that got fixed with a reboot).

So now the remaining question is: is there really a plan to obsolete the DGA mouse extension and if so, when is it scheduled to happen? X Input is a horribly complicated API that offers absolutely no advantage to QL players, so again: I don't see any reason to migrate over, unless forced.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Maybe better gamepad support?
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*TheMagicianKing
    I'm not talking XInput, I'm talking XInput 2, it's a slightly different API that doesn't require you to warp pointers and what not. Essentially it's like DGA, except newer and supports multiple mice.

As for deprecation:
    http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.2/doc/XDGA.3.html
    Most of the reasons for the XFree86-DGA extension's existence are now better served in other ways. Further development of this extension is not expected, and it may be deprecated in a future release. The features that continue to be useful will either be provided through other existing mechanisms, or through an extension that address those needs more specifically.
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post47681

So you're saying that 4 years after introducing a superior API, DGA mouse is still not planned for phaseout? Because "may be deprecated" doesn't sound like a plan.

DGA "supports multiple mice" just fine, I have two mice connected and QL reacts to moving both.

What X Input 2.0 introduced is allowing programs to distinguish between several connected mice. How does that benefit QL players, though?

+ Reply to Thread