+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Make Domination a bit more competitive?

Senior Member HanzoHasashiSan is on a distinguished road

Make Domination a bit more competitive?

The way I see it now, DOM is probably the noobiest gametype there is. Every single game of DOM I ever played always ended up a pointless spamfest, regardless of the map. So I thought why not change the way it is played with these additions:

*Players spawn with MG like in FFA and items spawn on the map. It would make it MUCH more interesting, since every game right now is just an endless rocket/grenade spam to the control points and with minor use of LG. Having it the way I suggested would actually force the players to run around the map a bit, not just limiting their route to the 3 control points on the map. Things would be much more interesting if you would have to choose between rushing at a control point or stocking up with weapons/armor. And most importantly, there would definitely be less spam.

*Remove regen health. I seriously can't fathom why was this added. Makes the game even the more noobier because players can just sit in a corner spamming their nades/rockets with taking a little damage, hiding, recovering and repeat it all the way through the game. Having to recover by picking up health yourself would actually add some point to playing this. And while removing regen health, why not turn on self-damage as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tichi View Post
    Dude I love all the people with the comments about me. I do rage in the cage and stuff at staples center. We can get half naked and fight in the cage brah. Any other guys wanna watch??? Ill give you hugs after i put body oil on my body

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road
    Imo Domination is just not good in quake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnheOOSZVYc

Spawning with all weapons is better than spawning with nothing because the whole gametype is based around defense or as others would like to call it, "camping". So as soon as one team has control of the items they have control of the map. Complaining about lg, they'll kill you even faster because you have no armor upon spawn.
    Regen health is there simply because there is no health on the map and you want to be able to actually defend a point instead of being left on 2 hp from the last battle. Next time they come around it won't be fair at all and control of the points would keep switching. Kinda like duel on eye to eye.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    That's exactly how Domination works in all the arena shooters! UT, Nexuiz, World of Padman (called Big Balloon), you name it. You pick up weapons and armor and attack/defend the domination points with those resources. On the maps, usually there are better and worse domination points, defined by the items spawning in the same room. So although it's an objective-based mode, it shows new players the meaning of area control and which rooms are worth controlling if they play the same map in FFA or TDM.

Meanwhile, what QL calls "domination" is an abomination ;) It's supposed to be a tactical shooter inspired, but with Quake's speed and weapons it's just impossible to handle with the constant spam. Hence I'm boycotting it since its introduction.

I would play domination with FFA rules (or even "weapons stay" ruleset). Spawn, get a weapon, attack. You have a point - grab all the resources from the room. Remember that in domination, your mates spawn close to the points you have under control, this allows for a good coordination and sharing of resources available in controlled areas. And unlike TDM, you don't need to teach anyone what to do when - they just spawn close, come to safe location and collect the resources. It plays brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanPadre View Post
    Spawning with all weapons is better than spawning with nothing because the whole gametype is based around defense or as others would like to call it, "camping".
    You should start your own thread with the suggestion that everyone should spawn with all weapons and regenerating health in CTF. You can just copy and paste your post, only 2 minor edits will be needed.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I agree that it often degenerates into a spam fast. However, I would say that a significant number of Domination matches I've played have been relatively close (as long as teams were even #s). In many of these, teams are within 20 or fewer points at the end of the match to 150, which leads to an exciting and fun game.

I see the points in making it more FFA and TDM like. Regenerating health is pretty silly, maybe drop health would be better. But if you implement these changes, I expect it to turn into most FFA/TDM matches I've seen -- which are one-sided blowouts.

Senior Member Shelby is on a distinguished road
    I agree it would be far better with item pick ups.

Failing that if you're gonna start with all the guns i think the mode would benefit from disabling the GL. I also think the capture points could have a wider diameter. As it is you can pretty much just point your RL at the centre point and hold down fire.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Well Ed, at #tdmpickup we still maintain below 20% mercylimits which means over 80% of the games end up with less than 50 point difference after 20 minutes. And we have all the numbers to back that up. So what that your random spamfest domination games are often close if even TDM (arguably the most unforgiving mode where a single mistake can lose you a minute of constant dying) is equally close in the end?

Of course I don't want domination to be based on TDM! I want it to be a goal-oriented team-FFA. Weapons readily available and no friendly fire, if there would be powerups they would drop.

That's how it always was in all the other arena shooters and it was lots of fun for everyone. Easy to understand, easy to play, easy to get back from death (you don't have all weapons, but neither does the enemy), with interesting FFA-like encounters with different weapons and using map features to attack and defend, and perhaps overlooked feature of such mode: regardless of weapons and stacks, teaming up works great and you can get nice satisfying fights with teammates and a feel that you're contributing.

All that dynamics instead of the current state of things which is flat boring gameplay that can be summarized as switching between "spam rockets" mode and "shaft battle" mode. Sigh.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I'm on the road for work this week, so can't try it out. But is it possible to use Start-a-match to configure Dom in this way? I'd be happy to crank up such a server and see how it works and/or how popular it is.

Unfortunately not :( Basically there are no dom item layouts for the maps and it would require some additional work to copy for example FFA layouts there and maybe even moving items if they are sitting on the same spot as domination point.

I'd love for it to be possible!

+ Reply to Thread