+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New, want to learn maps before playing ranked (and ruining my elo)

*AureliaMetal

New, want to learn maps before playing ranked (and ruining my elo)

Basically I want to start playing QL competively (eventually). I play other fps' and stuff comp and quake's always piqued my interest.

But there are SO MANY DAMN MAPS. Basically what I've been doing is going through and memorizing/laying out routes for maps that have been played at recent lans, but I don't know what maps I should be learning besides that.

So here's my question:

What would you guys consider to be the "core" maps for Duel and CA/TDM?
    Because right now I'm feeling a lack of direction due to the 100ish maps

I really appreciate any replies!

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Check the current mappools of tournaments for your desired mode. Like faceit or 125fps cup for duels, pickup channels for tdm/ctf, etc.

luckily (for you, in this case), only a fraction of the available maps are actually played in competitions.

Also, watching demos of competitions is a good way to learn new tricks.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    You can always learn the layouts in Practice games. But I would really advice you not to care about Elo and to learn these maps by playing them. Elo is only an estimation of your skill. Get better and it will follow you up. Don't try to cheat it; it will only make it worse for you.

(And don't look for CA maps if you wish to play competitively cause that's not a competitive mode )

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    For duel:

FuriousHeights
    LostWorld
    Bloodrun
    Aerowalk
    Toxicity
    Hektik

Cure (relatively new, but in the qcon map pool)

Delirium (brand new, relatively untested)
    Fuse (brand new, relatively untested)

Maps that have been played that still see some action:

Silence
    Houseofdecay
    Sinister (recently redone, hard to say how well the new version plays yet)
    Battleforged (Lorfa calls it boreforged)
    VerticalVengeance (an old classic)
    Campgrounds (an old classic)

Right now faceit, 125 fps, and qcon are using this duel map pool:

Blood Run
    Cure
    Furious Heights
    Lost World
    Toxicity

If you're an ambitious player I posted some duel tips here:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...l=1#post266342

Senior Member Latvietis is on a distinguished road
    If you are interested i can help you with some tricks, jumps, angles maps and spawns in duel

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar

Thumbs down

Caring about elo / stats.........lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Elo is also a third party thing, unless you're referring to the invisible Elo-like that QL uses. Don't worry about it. Even if you had 100 Elo, it's still possible that you could win against a 2000 Elo player (Well, it's not going to be 'easy', but it's an extreme hypothetical)

Member scix55 is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, don't worry about elo, at all. You'll have a hard time sticking with this game if you are too protective of your ego. You have to be okay with getting thrashed or your progress will be a lot slower (or you'll quit completely)

Of course you should play people near your skill level as well. Both types of matchups have some unique benefit.

Junior Member ihve is on a distinguished road
    Also it's hard to ruin your elo. For example if you loose 15 times on a map, your elo will be pretty low. But if you play against players of the same elo like before, your elo will regain quicker than it dropped because the elo difference is now very high.

Junior Member rat is on a distinguished road rat's Avatar
    If you're new and already care about ELO, you should consider playing on a main account until you feel comfortable enough to play on another account that you can take seriously (Elo, Frag/Death, etc.) But in most cases, as you get better your ELO will go up, because even if you start from 800 you will reach where you will potentially reach later if you make a new account, you'll just take a bit longer.

+ Reply to Thread