+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CTF is really hurting....

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    I'll just say that you're more then welcome to come play in that server, we always have people that aren't at the same level as others (again I'm not saying I or we are way better than anyone, but you can see the difference often with some people) but we work around it and most of the time get a good game of vanilla ctf going.

Hell this last week or so we've had Syncerror play a few rounds with us, he was very fun to play with, even got the privilege to play him in Pillbox (I also got my Synchronized award from a Japanese Castles game haha).

Anyway yeah if you want to play some vanilla ctf, 9deuce_ usually has a standard server up in the AM until around noonish, then around that time (since more people are usually on) exposed_ or someone else makes a premium server, and if some don't have premium they add someone who does and they get invited. It's pretty simple and relaxed.

Oh and GB, qlranks is a website where you can see your elo, I'll link you to yours, here.
    Last edited by JDB_; 07-26-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen3astard View Post
    PPS - i dont even know what friggin ELO means!!! hahaha
    ELO is Electric Lights Orchestra.

Elo rating system, named after Arpad Elo, with Elo points (or just elo points) is a duel rating system. Not an acronym.

Senior Member o0MrCheesy0o is on a distinguished road o0MrCheesy0o's Avatar
    I don't know how to play CTF, or TDM, and I'm just learning how to play duel. The most popular game-mods don't need explanations (CA, and iCTF,), and those that attract few players do (TDM, CTF, and duel). There's a reason for this, and no, it's not because players are lazy or that they don't want to use their "brain".

If I spy an active CTF game on the server-browser, nine times out of ten, it's been pre-organized, and so I'm not even allowed to play unless someone quits. If I do get into the game I don't know what to do—people tell me "don't take that! It's for the defender at base" or something like that. What's more people have been allocated roles, like mid-defender, base-defender, attacker, flag runner, and so forth. What are these, and why doesn't the game tell me about it? If new players want to play CTF they have to go through much needless trial and error, and they have to ask the players lots of questions—and what if the players don't want to answer them? My point is, why does CTF, TDM and duel have no explanations? Quake 3's had 14 years to develop and evolve, so why is it that new players in 2013 need to start back in 1999—which is to know absolutely nothing, and learn through much trial and error.

If the common CTF game has 4 roles per team, why doesn't the game allocate these roles to each player before the match starts? If you choose your role to be mid-defender your team would be able to see your designation on the scoreboard (or perhaps above your head—each arrow indicating a teammate could be stylized to represent the role that player has undertaken), and important areas/items for a mid-defender could be highlighted in a specific colour. The game-mode could be explained better—better than ambiguous text tutorials on the internet that players have to actively seek out!

It's taken me a while to realize there's common opening moves in duel, and that your first spawn will determine what items you can successfully take and what you cannot. Why isn't this explained in some manner to new players? Video-games have so little constraints! We could have interactive, fun tutorials in-game. Why hasn't this game evolved in the teaching of new players! It's now harder than ever to play—when you started did other players have 14+ years of experience over you? These game-modes can be more popular than what they are.
    Last edited by o0MrCheesy0o; 07-26-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Nom nom nom nom!

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by o0MrCheesy0o View Post
    ABOVE POST
    Short answer: It's a player-created meta. It's not something that id has structured.

On a tangent: That being said, public CTF (For Tier 4) is pretty much dead in North America. For the past week I've been checking the server browser occasionally and there's never been a single server that wasn't Premium. Even then, these Premium servers always are unfavorable teamsizes that ruin the flow of decent CTF (Spawning? Nope, you're dead again...)

At this current moment in time, there's literally only a single server up with the above qualifications, and it's 6v6 on what is best (assuming that players want to spawn without multiple enemies near them) played with 4v4.

I'm sure I'll get a reply from the same person that always seems to reply to me (In a rude manner too) about "OH, YOU DID NOTHING WHEN YOU HAD THE PRO TOKEN. YOU WASTED IT!!!" and yadda yadda yadda, but when there's barely any activity in the location, you need to realize that it's not my fault nobody is playing and fix your attitude. There's no reason to reply to every single post of mine just to be a jerk about something that isn't under my control.

Senior Member Biz_ is an unknown quantity at this point
    they should let you queue up for a match without forcing you to sit in a server and integrate voice communication into the game

would do wonders for CTF + TDM

Quote Originally Posted by Biz_ View Post
    they should let you queue up for a match without forcing you to sit in a server and integrate voice communication into the game

would do wonders for CTF + TDM
    The issue is that there's literally no public servers though and there would be nothing to join. At the moment, there's 3 Pro-spawned servers that can't be joined by Standard players and nothing else.

As for integrating voice, it'd probably be used more to harass/socialize with people than it'd be used effectively. In most games that I've played that have it available, it's rarely used for strategy.

Banned SawyerTHEBEST is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quake is weird, it has perfect control and everything, but no fun gamemodes

Quote Originally Posted by SawyerTHEBEST View Post
    Quake is weird, it has perfect control and everything, but no fun gamemodes
    That's not true at all. It's more of that players don't want to learn the skill-involved gametypes and instead flock to the least-skill-involved gametype which is CA. (Some would argue FFA is the least skill-involved, and it would only be true if you don't care about coming in last every game).

Senior Member keefy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen3astard View Post
    ps - when i join a game - in the afternoon - and it is:
    Mackenzie - 9deuce - llllll + kujo
    vs
    exposed - jdb - lordwoods - and....me!

do you really think i want to join?

we need more players
    (some of above put up with me - but it wont let me play other games i see (your skill too high)
    Really? every one else says i suck - run the ELO - TGB is usually 2nd or 3rd... is that from running ? i duuno

sooooo...we need more players! the end

PPS - i dont even know what friggin ELO means!!! hahaha

*except for this:
    ELO

edit- PPPPS: from what i can tell... all the BEST players gravitate toward ctf.... are you good enough to play CTF?? (reverse psychology)

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS: if you actually clicked that ELO link to first concert - of 8 or so songs - it is worth watching

ELO rocks

But what about ELP?

http://youtu.be/hwCWCJLm6M0

http://youtu.be/CiRBQ_hSNt0
    Last edited by keefy; 07-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    For the past week I've been checking the server browser occasionally and there's never been a single server that wasn't Premium.
    What times do you actually go and check? I see you online all the time but I've never seen you in a ctf server, or rarely do anyway. I play at least 4 games of ctf per day usually, people do spawn servers.

I'll send you an invite more often when there is a game going but I thought you were either afk or just didn't want to join. Seriously though add 9deuce_ or exposed_ if you want to know if there is one up and don't have premium. 9 times out of 10 it's one of them hosting the server.

I see I somewhat misread your post, standard servers aren't around so much yes, but there usually is one spawned in the morning.
    Last edited by JDB_; 07-27-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: extra stuff & grammar

+ Reply to Thread