+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Instagib duel gametype choice

*wasabii1226

Instagib duel gametype choice

I would like to see an instagib duel gametype choice. This is what railgun instagib was back in Quake3 days and I'm surprised it isn't an option now. Please create it. Thank you.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Instaduel is absurd for obvious reasons, but u can always make a custom server.
    Last edited by vurun; 07-21-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Not that I entirely disagree, but I'd like to hear some of the "obvious" reasons why it's absurd.

Back when I played a lot of insta, we did a lot of 1v1 iCTF which was both great fun and great practice. I recall setting up a few iDuel games at the time and as long as one person didn't just try to hide after taking a slight lead, they seemed fun too. Nothing like proper duel of course, but an enjoyable game nonetheless.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    You can do it already. You simply need to spawn it yourself. Set the starting weapons to railgun only and turn insta on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    as long as one person didn't just try to hide after taking a slight lead, they seemed fun too.
    That's one of the obvious reasons you wanted. The best strategy is to camp an advantageous position and wait for the enemy to get bored before you.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Before the flames grow. There is a part of the insta community which LOVES to iDuel on dm17. There was even an (more or less) organized "insta dm17 duel"-cup (is Fi still alive?) with a good portion of drama (chants: we want max! we want max!). I loved it.

It's 'obviously' stupid, because it lacks every skillful element from other modes. But one could say similar things about any mode (duel lacks the teamplay and watching pac-men is boring, tdm is only ffa and maps are boring, ca is all aim no brain, etc). But carmac said it nicely once, as long as people play it competitively and the best person wins in the end, the game has its place.

However, it's easy enough to setup an insta duel server already. And it's been a while, but i believe you can easily save presets for server configurations.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    Not that I entirely disagree, but I'd like to hear some of the "obvious" reasons why it's absurd.
    Some were already mentioned, but for me the main reason for this mode being absurd is that you are left with aim and positioning but you do not need any control or timing. And this is not Duel. This is 1 v 1 whatever the mode is.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

+ Reply to Thread