+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quake live cpu usage is too high

Member Scorpwolf is on a distinguished road

Quake live cpu usage is too high

Hi all..i have a problem that i've had for a while but only noticed it recently..
    the quake live.exe/ plugin container is taking too much of my cpu usage..this happens in firefox, qlprism and another browser called dragon that i also tried..

In the past it used to be around 40-50% usage and i thought it was normal..but yesterday i noticed it's spiking up to 60-70%..i'm not sure what's causing it to do that..i've asked others and they said their quake live cpu usage is around 10-20%..

what's causing it to spike? and how do i fix this?..i would also like to mention that i recently reinstalled win7 and the 40-50% usage was always there so i don't think reinstalling windows or quake live would solve this...any ideas?..thanks
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 07-14-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    What video card do you have?

If you're using integrated graphics it will likely use more CPU since they tend to share resources.

using a Geforce GTX 650

Forgot to mention that this of course is probably causing the game to lag bad because the game always felt very laggy to me but the fps was pretty much stable at 125 on the screen..

when the plugin container started spiking to 60-70% that's when i started seeing rapid frame drops on my screen..so i'm guessing this might be one of the problems why some people like myself experience lag but they don't see frame drops on the screen..at 40-50% you don't see frames drop but the game still feels laggy, delayed and choppy..it just became very noticeable at 60-70%

So if anyone can look into this and tell me how to get plugin container to drop down to 20% or so i would appreciate it...i've searched the problem a bit and found that there seems to be a common problem with plugin container spiking like that but i still haven't found any solution since quake live depends on it and i can't just end the process..lol

Could this be a problem with the PSU or the MB?..i've ran latencyMon before and it gave me some errors related to power management...i disabled CPU throttling in control panel and Bios like they suggested but i still get the same errors
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 07-15-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpwolf View Post
    i've ran latencyMon before and it gave me some errors related to power management...i disabled CPU throttling in control panel and Bios like they suggested but i still get the same errors
    CPU throttling can't be disabled, it's not a setting but a built-in emergency valve for a CPU.

All you can disable is frequency scaling, but QL is so CPU-bound that all OS-es will try to keep CPU at maximum allowed frequency when you play.

If you really hit CPU throttling (the symptoms kind of fit), you may have a problem with cooling. Check temperature monitors when you play, maybe the problem is a broken fan somewhere.

If it's not throttling but actually requiring more resources, it may also be a software problem coming from drivers (downgrade whatever you've upgraded lately) or anti-virus software (disable all runtime protection and retry).

I meant disabling whatever options in control panel and the bios that effect power management like they suggested..

Anyways i found a temporary solution that dropped it back to my normal 40-50%

I set the affinity to single core from task manger and that seemed to fix it..then i remembered that i changed some settings in Nvidia control panel..it was the threaded optimization option that i changed to on instead of off...that made it spike like that so i put it back to off and it dropped..but i would really like to know how to get it down to 20% like others were saying..the game is still laggy most of the times and runs really crappy..

my CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz..it's a good cpu so i don't understand why plugin container is taking that much to run..

what should be the average cpu usage to run QL? i really would like to know how to fix this..

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    QL will always try to eat one full CPU core if you only let it.

Your CPU is dual-core, so you see it approaching 50%. Quad-core users will see close to 25%.

My CPU is 3 generations newer than yours (and much faster) and believe me, QL still sucks all power from a single core. It's just how the game is written - even between "frames", it doesn't go to sleep but keeps working on something (I imagine it's stuff like getting mouse input for example, but no one really knows!)

So don't worry about the numbers - they will never look good :)

Alright, that makes sense..i guess i will have to look into something else that might be causing the game to lag so bad...i tried many things over the last 2 years..some of it helped to improve the game but nothing has really fixed the random lag..when the game decides to lag not even a crt monitor helps..all i get is delayed and thru shots..which is pretty much the majority of the games..rarely does this game ever run properly..oh well thanks anyways

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpwolf View Post
    using a Geforce GTX 650
    Nvidia drivers r320+ all have issues, taken from nvidias forum ->

"Some users are reporting stability issues after upgrading their drivers to our most recent R319_00 driver branch (i.e. R320.18, R320.14, R320.00, etc.). I am creating this side thread to try to capture better information that can help us resolve all of the issues affecting stability in desktop use and games that some users are reporting.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...edback-thread/

If you are located in the USA and would be willing to loan us your graphics card, please email me at driverfeedback@nvidia.com. This is only for users who experience stability issues with driver R320.xx which goes away if you revert back to an earlier driver such as R314.22. We will cover shipping costs both ways and provide you with a loaner card to use once we receive your card. I expect we would need your card for a period of 3-4 weeks. Due to complications with international shipping, we can only accept boards from end users living in the USA."
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

+ Reply to Thread