+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are there any maps I can play in duel without armor/mega/power ups/etc

*ScootALU_

Are there any maps I can play in duel without armor/mega/power ups/etc

I'd like to spend a fair bit of time practicing my aim and dm against the A.I., but keeping track of item spawns is a massive distraction.

I'm quite new to quake, and joined specifically to improve at other games. I'm not necessarily interested in being a pro player, and so item spawns overshadowing most gameplay aspects is a bit of a pain.

I like playing against a perfect aim AI, but an armor drop makes the battle unwinnable unless I constantly bother to get it first.

Thank you for your time!

tl;dr: I want duels against the AI to be decided by aim and timing, not items.
    Last edited by ScootALU_; 07-13-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Member Or1on is on a distinguished road
    Practice Clan Arena then.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    EyeToEye is the map you want. But you should know that aiming isn't only standing there on a flat platform to gun down a stupid bot. How you position yourself on the map (height differences, etc.) compared to your enemy is a very important thing that you won't learn on this map. It's also quite different to attack a bot or a human actively dodging you.

*ScootALU_
    ^Thank you kindly! I am well aware of this, as that is by far my greatest strength in any fps. Any more complicated maps that share the benefits of that one?

My story: I routinely play tf2 and carry my team to victory. But when I find myself on a map like koth_harvest or pl_hightower, I get slaughtered because anyone can be anywhere doing anything. Brain takes a backseat, and, as a result, I can't exploit weaknesses.

Quake has already helped me improve a great deal; so at this point I want to focus on individual aspects, not unlike a strength trainer focusing on specific muscle groups on specific days.

^^I have played that a fair bit, but between the post-death wait time and map changes, it makes an unreliable training environment. Remember that I'm new and tend to be one of the first dead.
    Last edited by ScootALU_; 07-13-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    In clan arena start a 4 player practise match then kick one from each team for 1v1 without items,powerups and have all weapons to practise with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootALU_ View Post
    Any more complicated maps that share the benefits of that one?
    Not that I know, no. There might be a way to deactivate item spawning for any normal map on a local server, though. Try these commands :
    g_spawnItemHealth 0
    g_spawnItemHoldable 0
    g_spawnItemArmor 0
    g_spawnItemPowerup 0

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    I practice 1v1 CA on Thunderstruck quite a bit. It's a bit more dynamic than eye2eye. Also, if you're going to practice against bots, try this:

/bot_thinktime 0
    /bot_challenge 1

-Cheers

+ Reply to Thread