+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clanned CTF Play Europe

Junior Member razorx is on a distinguished road

Clanned CTF Play Europe

Was just talking to someone about how dead the ctf scene actually is atm, atleast its only the same players always. and what i noticed is that ID never rlly promotes any clanned play in CTF all i see are these space ctf/rune maps and people running around like headless chickens on them. people wanna try to get teams together but everyone is too stuck on playing those kinds of maps n stuff that they wont rlly improve that much.
    Cause in my oppinion that kind of CTF is a joke compared to regular wcp maps or such.
    what im trying to say is its nice that people have a choice in what they wanna play, but they are given the wrong things as basics to begin with. how are they ever gonne compete in the scene if they dont know where to do and stuff like mirc, for someone who doesnt visit forums often ect it kind of sux, maybe u guys could make an easier link to irc for newbies< as link irc to quake in a way ( i know qlprism has it. )

Fact is i just been hearing alot about this topic for a long time, the community is doing good things to make up for it with faceit cups and stuff. i just feel theres alot more potential with a little extra work

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    true words mate, demands for more wcp maps have been ongoing for a couple of years now, lets hope some make it into the ctf pool soon.

in regards of faceit, they wouldnt have done a ctf cup last week, nor the one later today if it weren't for crozar to begin with. ( http://www.esreality.com/post/244763...p-on-saturday/ )

one big problem is also that standard users dont see premium servers which the should by default in their server browser - also maybe once a month a few hours free content for all so people can see what its like if more chip in together.

Senior Member Grandbolus is on a distinguished road
    Most players don't care about the 'scene' or anything competitive in QL, they just want to have fun and these scapegoated maps provide it. But, I agree ctf (and tdm) become lots more fun with teamwork and voice communication.

Pub ctf will be pub ctf....but without map voting on standard servers it isnt likely to see a 24/7 space ctf server or something like that, you get a bit of everything which should be good from your point of view.

What does irc have to offer to newbies anyway? I think these forums and the chat cover a good part of what irc does. If you are ambitious in this game you're bound to find the channels, but again I think most people aren't.

Faceit cups are a good way of stimulating the ctf players to form clans etc. Maybe if it keeps growing it will help getting more competitive maps on as well. Faceit and QL already sort of work together, so faceit should be promoted on QL and the forums to haul more people in.

btw. It's a small community, but I like it.
    Last edited by Grandbolus; 07-13-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of servers with huge modifications, runes, or even mines that just slow things down in ctf.

btw. An organised CTF event is about to start:
    FACEIT TV - QL CTF $700 Pro Cup

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandbolus View Post
    What does irc have to offer to newbies anyway? I think these forums and the chat cover a good part of what irc does. If you are ambitious in this game you're bound to find the channels, but again I think most people aren't.
    Well, they aren't likely to grow ambitious over time if they aren't even aware of there being anything worthwhile on the competetive level. I haven't seen a single reference to #ctfpickup here in ages.

That being said, I don't think the existence of high level play alone can make people interested in the scene, exposure or none thereof. You don't exactly get to appreciate the awesomeness of leet matches while being a newb yourself - that being especially true for CTF, which isn't a straightforward mode where the essence of FPS is concerned - there are other, more subtle and complex elements to it than just shooting at people, AND the pew pew part isn't even the most important one. What could help instead is getting the newbies to watch quality streams of top tier matches. This requires:
    - adequate spectating system
    - good casters
    Instead we get Zoot and paw () and a spec POV that doesn't even allow split screen.
    Duh.

+ Reply to Thread