+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tdm??

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Your sorting algorithm put Anatrolly and Vium against me, mate.
    No proof of that in your match history, unless you were playing on some other account.

I couldn't own them in CA on my best day. In TDM I'm just plain screwed.
    Your rating is already low enough to guarantee you'll be second-third "pick" [1], usually last on team.

So nobody expects you to own anyone - to the contrary, you're expected to finish on -10 net and the bot will give you appropriate "pro" to carry you.

If you ever decide to try pickups again (and put the required effort to learn all maps), you'll get to 50% win ratio in no time, I can guarantee that.

[1] There's no picking and the bot doesn't simulate picking either - but the teams it produces have players sorted by rating.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    No proof of that in your match history, unless you were playing on some other account.
    Huh, that's odd. Maybe I was just speccing those few matches where Vium was on.

I might try pickups again, if I get active in QL again.

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    Huh, that's odd. Maybe I was just speccing those few matches where Vium was on.

I might try pickups again, if I get active in QL again.
    look forward to seeing you in #tdmpickup in the near future

Senior Member D_R is on a distinguished road
    The problem with public TDM is it becomes totally unbalanced, pointless and frustrating faster than every other mod. It's in the name: Deathmatch (Which may sometimess appear rather random, but since everybody is more or less on his own there won't be much else to take the blame), in TEAMS.

One bad guy on your CA Team? Well, 4v5, probably the other team has some lowskiller(s) as well. Not much will happen really- You can still play your game and that of your mates at full stack and weapons.
    Few bad guys on your CTF Team? You can still def like crazy (be it at home base or holding enemy flag for minutes although your own is gone) and turn it into mindless fragging. You can easily get stack and weapons.
    One bad guy on your TDM Team? Freefrags/Score en masse for the enemy. Probably guns, too. On the other hand you certainly won't get the share. It's about total control -> not exactly pub material.

End of the day, you can net pretty much whatever you like and still fail to keep up cause of the cannon fodder. Not like netting "pretty much whatever you like" was easy when most of the time you are 100/0 mg only versus stacked enemies to begin with.
    It just turns out imba so fast and often, with one team controlling spawns AND held weapons (hide before death, share with respawned mates, get health/ammo) while some guys on the other team actually support the enemy xD

Even if you're willing to risk that horrible experience, it might take ages to get enough people to join. And once it starts turning out bad, some guys leave- once it's dead, it's hard to get it back. Several games in a row? Almost impossibru
    German RA3 since 2001 [p]lague, rdm team-radium, n!faculty, pRophecy
    European CTF since 2009

Competitive? I beat friggin battletoads, get lost...

Censorship AND Infractions for inappropriate language? I think that's a bit redundant, try-hards

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D_R View Post
    The problem with public TDM is it becomes totally unbalanced, pointless and frustrating faster than every other mod.
    Imo CTF is much more this way since it throws so much importance on movement into the mix.

Few bad guys on your CTF Team? You can still def like crazy (be it at home base or holding enemy flag for minutes although your own is gone) and turn it into mindless fragging. You can easily get stack and weapons.
    It doesn't really work. Bad teammates won't organize or try to defend. If you get the flag they won't help you and have no chance of killing the enemy flag carrier. Meanwhile you get slowly worn down. It's pretty hopeless.

I feel like with TDM I can still attempt to get something since we're after the same items and I can use the same sort of tactics to try and take the map back that I would in a duel. With CTF there's armor/health/weapons on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Imo CTF is much more this way since it throws so much importance on movement into the mix.
    Imho not, because WINNING anything wasn't my point, but simply playing and trying to have some sort of fun.

Ofc the mates won't return the flag, ofc you will probably be taken down sooner or later, but until than you can still work your way around the map/base, restack over and over, make full use of the gun arsenal etc (sometimes more, sometimes less).
    TDM takes all that away from you with long respawn times and the principle of hiding+sharing guns as well as using a shared pool when it comes to armor and health. It's WAY easier to at least get some lg/rg/rl and 100 50 or such, going on a 10-20 killing spree "trying to survive" (or rather just play around in an otherwise useless game) BEFORE the enemy scores. Maybe you can even manage to deny the 8-0 that way *lol*

It doesn't really work. Bad teammates won't organize or try to defend. If you get the flag they won't help you and have no chance of killing the enemy flag carrier. Meanwhile you get slowly worn down. It's pretty hopeless.
    I never claimed different
    But opposed to 100 0 MG v 4 rather stacked and decently skilled enemies,it's just "less bad" from my pov.

I feel like with TDM I can still attempt to get something since we're after the same items and I can use the same sort of tactics to try and take the map back that I would in a duel. With CTF there's armor/health/weapons on both sides.
    I was talking worst case scenarios (which usually appear lots, hence tdm is playable pickup but not pub. Whereas ctf at least somewhat works, given a solid map rotation). Where even if you do get weapons/items once and maybe make some minor +nets, your team goes twice the amount - in the meantime. And when you share them a gun, they drop it to the enemy. Can't expect em to ever share anything with you, and taking down an enemy is pointless because THEY do get weapons.

Again: I was assuming messed up pub status. I never said I didn't like TDM or anything, just a view on why it's the least played pub/free mod (It is, isn't it? I actually don't play much in general anymore). I see the individual stacking pools on ctf maps as chance to at least play around when the balance is crazy. TDM doesn't grant any fun whatsoever at this stage (to me, and I think others as well). Duel and FFA are mano a mano, so I wouldn't find the common divisor. Sure you can play "the same tactics" you would after losing control in a duel, but isn't that extremely frustating against multiple enemies instead of just one? Maybe your just that much better at TDM than me, I dunno ^^
    Last edited by D_R; 07-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    European CTF since 2009

Censorship AND Infractions for inappropriate language? I think that's a bit redundant, try-hards

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Public TDM is so small that if you finally find a game, it actually gets pickup-like.

Everyone knows each other which means that 1. they can sometimes balance game better than /cv shuffle and 2. people quit less because heavy quitters are known and can get kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Public TDM is so small that if you finally find a game, it actually gets pickup-like.

Everyone knows each other which means that 1. they can sometimes balance game better than /cv shuffle and 2. people quit less because heavy quitters are known and can get kicked.
    Not what I experienced, sorry.
    Are we talking "real public" games accessible without the often mentioned "tidy and organized friendlist"? I never cared for ESReality, and certainly don't plan to get involved much with "certain people" living there
    I actually did get ~100 games Europe Pub TDM under those circumstances, but apart from maybe a rough 10 (felt, maybe I'm wrong. I don't care to go check "stats". Probably couldn't go that far back with free acc anyway ^^), it was always the same pattern:
    Wait 20-60 mins, be happy to start 3v3 either ts3or4, and hope for the best. Of those 6 people, 1-3 are not just "bad" (I'm not good myself) but rather new to the whole idea.
    Hardly ever share a gun to mates, hardly ever hide it before dying, and if you're lucky they don't even go for pu. RA doesn't even deserve mention, that one goes to the only diehard tdm player on the server- Rest normally doesn't care. It demands timing, a thing pub doesn't offer even in the highest tiers- except for duellers, but 1on1 is a different sport to me.

In the cause of the match 1-2 people come and go. When it's over, max 3 people of whoever was there or dropped in stay for another map -> So waiting time is as huge as it was in the beginning.

1) You're lucky to get a shuffle. And I have yet to see people REALLY balance out a pub game beforehand FAIRLY. I've seen intended teamstacking, shuffling, no shuffling, quitting LT, staying despite LT, "those guys on the enemy team? unfair [i want them on mine to win]".
    Really like pickup? people voting players or carefully assigning them in a manner you can agree on...
    You are talking about friendlist games, aren't you o.O

2) When you wait "on the server, ready to play asap, not expecting any miracles but anything fun is good" 20-60 mins because additional people only join every 5 mins, and every 10-15 another leaves, kicking isn't an option. And I sure didn't know all the guys playing there anyway
    European CTF since 2009

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Every public TDM match I've ever played in was a quitting fest and largely one-sided.

@Lorfa : At least in duel and CTF you can get a weapon before dying.

I honestly don't know where you find those games after public TDM was slapped last year by map rotations.

I'm pretty sure you're describing your experience from 2009-2011 and never found the spawned servers that are the only way people play "publics" nowadays.

Your latest pub TDM from 2 months ago was 108-104, I found 3 more games on your profile from this year and 1 from 2012 - so how can you say those things, really?

Anyways, there's basically only spawned publics now. Those are rare, played by the same same 30 people and suiting my description. Otherwise your best bet is #tdmpickup with our stable 40-50 games a day. You're invited and believe me, you won't be the worst there :)

+ Reply to Thread