+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Message to the young players out there...

*CplDJon

Message to the young players out there...

Hi,

My name is Jonathan Bouchard, but in Quake you know me as CplDJon.

I started playing on computers in the 80's (Space Quest, King Quest...), I am 37 years old. Before Doom, there was no multiplayer gaming... ( I don't remember if Wolfenstein 3D had a multiplayer but my first lan party was playing cooperative Doom 1, then Doom 2-3... Quake, QuakeWorld... etc...)

I had a Clan of Quake3, Soldier of Fortune in these days... I played a lot online.

Many years have passed and now and with the years, I think the gaming community lost something important (for me at least):

The respect of other players.

In all these years, I never called someone names.

I don't do this in real life because intelligence tells me that insulting others for no reason isn't really a good thing, for my karma, for my life... Insults are not the way to behave to get your life running smootly, surrounded by friends and love.

And now, I have a bit of experience to proove myself that.

Sure we are surrounded by bullies everywhere, often our goverment is itself bullying it's population, but I don't think that doing the same is intelligent, since it does not settle the problem, it make it worse.

So my message to the intelligent and respectfull players out there:
    This is YOUR DUTY to answer bullies with love.

If you think this is gay, then you are probably a bully. In life, all our decisions come from 2 feeling: love or hate. You decide.

I wanted to let you know that if you feel alone, getting insulted because your newb or whatever for no reason... there is hope: you. Stay strong, don't get emotional and answer back with intelligence.

The worst thing to do, is do nothing. Then the bullies win.

This is a call to everyone also, specially the older ones, use your wisdom to make the environment better, be nice, be an example for the good young out there so that they know they are not alone. Be a leader, don't let someone insults his own team... This happens so often: how can you be a leader if you insults your teammates because they are not as good as you. You are the best player on a team? Teach them instead of throwing the classic "Noob team". And be patient, not everyone have the skills you may have, we are all different, this is the beauty of life.

Yes, this post is weird, but I find it really sad when I am called names from players on Tier 4, and that just because I do less damage than them, or could not meet the team in time, surrounded by the ennemy team all with LG.

I kick asses at tier 3, but when I reach Tier 4, I suck bad.

I fell much more hate in tier 4 than tier 3, I play for fun, not to be the best but when I get insulted, this makes me hate the game... and it should not happen. This is a great game where there is a lot of skills to master. I don't want to improove at all cost, but for sure, I'll never improove if I feel hated.

This is a duty FOR ALL OF YOU, PLAYERS, to make this game a place where people are friends. I know bullies are a minority, but this minority takes too much place, it's time for them to feel surrounded by nice players, where their insults have no effects, and get answered back with love.

Sorry for my many mistakes, I speak french usually so my written english isn't perfect.

I wish you all nice games and lot of fun, maybe I am the crazy guy here, but I don't care. My message is out there, written, I did it for me, because I could not keep it for myself anymore.

CPLDJon
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 07-09-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    You are a typical old Quaker from way back... Around here? ,,,Wisdom does not go far..Far to many new players dont understand the Meaning of the following of Quake. And there is not enough of us in the world to bring a civil order to QL.. Nothing in life is a Fantasy World. Same in QL.. All that we can do is try,,and keep the good faith...
    Last edited by lowlife1; 07-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Member miSc is on a distinguished road miSc's Avatar
    I'm 38, and come from the same place as you. Agreed agreed and agreed.
    Your not the first one....

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...?32706-Respect...
    That is MY thread, and there are others out there.. lol

I can't believe how freaking rude people are today, it's like parenting is a thing of the past. Kids act in a way, that just makes me wanna slap them continously. No respect for fellow players, no respect for elders - No respect at all.
    "Wisdom begins in Wonder" - Socrates (470-399 BCE)

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    its a video game on the internet, its not real
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

*CplDJon
    Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    its a video game on the internet, its not real
    Man, don't troll my thread.

I am sorry but I don't live in the same world as you. I pretty feel my computer when I use it and there is others human being in the game with me. It's the same than a good game of hockey with a stick and a puck, except that the way of playing is different.

YOU, mister, live in a fantasy world if you think these interractions on the internet are not important. Grow up and obviously, because you cannot explain yourself with more than a sentence, I suggest you start to use your brain and try to make a good argumentation if you want to proove your points.

Je pourrais te répondre en francais, ca serait beaucoup plus facile pour moi, mais je me force à écrire en anglais alors fait un effort de ton coté si tu veux participer à la discussion.

I will ignore your post for the rest of this thread and you should ignore it too because you are digging youre own grave with a reply like that.

Quote Originally Posted by miSc View Post
    I'm 38, and come from the same place as you. Agreed agreed and agreed.
    Your not the first one....

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...?32706-Respect...
    That is MY thread, and there are others out there.. lol ...
    Nice timing, posted mid-june, I think we are a lot who feel that way these days.

I am happy to see I am not alone and of course, if we silence ourselve, nothing can change at all. Togheter, if we can open some younger eyes and give them tips, then the job is done. I believe in the butterfly effect, it take only 1 person to change our world, and we may have more effect than we think.

Internet is like a hammer, it's a tool. We can use it to build nice things, but we can also use it to create chaos and hit others.

Every action have a reaction, it's one many laws in the universe and for sure, it's up to us to choose what we want to live.

Note to trolls:
    I am a radio host, I created my own internet talk radio 6 years ago, I talk LIVE 3 hours per day in my show the Knights of News (in french, les Chevaliers de l'information) so if you want to start arguing with me, you better be prepared. Usually, I don't like to fall into my ego and make myself some publicity, but EVERYTIME my topic will be trolled, I'll promote my radio show, where my team is talking about and watching lot of news from the world, here's the address TacticalFM.com. If you don't speak french, there is lot of news we report that are in english too.

YOU decide: action --> reaction.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    its still the internet, sorry your mad
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member xXApathyXx is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    its still the internet, sorry your mad
    *you're
    Fixed it for you =)
    As for op, I've actually found the opposite to be true for me. Sure when I first got to t4 it was bad, but after awhile I've found more respectable players in t4 than in any other tier. It's kinda sad really. You go from being around the same group of people that you play with for awhile, to playing with a new group of people because you moved up a tier. When you move back down or whatever's left of the old group tries to uptier (or play on an unranked server), you get called a hacker, nerd (I take pride in this one), no life, etc. It's much harder to even reason with these people. I've found more games that were balanced with a lot of people that like to have fun rather than take things so seriously when I was able to stay in t4. Do I miss playing with that old group of people? Yes, but the majority of people in those tiers are just too ignorant for my liking now (Besides, the people I played with before either don't play much anymore, or have stopped altogether). We may call each other hackers and stuff in t4, however most of the time we're just joking around (at least the people I play with). We may throw around swears, but again, it's nothing that's taken seriously. If we ever get mad it's only for a short time, and some of us are just mad about ourselves. In the end, we all end up having fun.

GL and HF

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXApathyXx View Post
    *you're
    Fixed it for you =)
    As for op, I've actually found the opposite to be true for me. Sure when I first got to t4 it was bad, but after awhile I've found more respectable players in t4 than in any other tier. It's kinda sad really. You go from being around the same group of people that you play with for awhile, to playing with a new group of people because you moved up a tier. When you move back down or whatever's left of the old group tries to uptier (or play on an unranked server), you get called a hacker, nerd (I take pride in this one), no life, etc. It's much harder to even reason with these people. I've found more games that were balanced with a lot of people that like to have fun rather than take things so seriously when I was able to stay in t4. Do I miss playing with that old group of people? Yes, but the majority of people in those tiers are just too ignorant for my liking now (Besides, the people I played with before either don't play much anymore, or have stopped altogether). We may call each other hackers and stuff in t4, however most of the time we're just joking around (at least the people I play with). We may throw around swears, but again, it's nothing that's taken seriously. If we ever get mad it's only for a short time, and some of us are just mad about ourselves. In the end, we all end up having fun.

GL and HF
    I know who you're talking about, and you're absolutely out of your mind if you're considering them "respectable". They're the exact same group of people that have driven many players away from pickups because of how rude and obnoxious they are.

Banned Casoah is on a distinguished road
    But most players in tier 4/5 are pretty bad generally.

Senior Member ShaZe is on a distinguished road ShaZe's Avatar
    To be fair, I would say the type of behaviours observed heavily change depending on the gametype played. FFA, CA seems to be the worst since it appeal to the more casual players and usually the players that are tired of playing competitively will often move within these servers to relax or for other, to unwind.

For duels, the trash talking is almost non-present unless you get one of those guys that think he will destabilize your play by spamming binds lol.

CTF is probably classed second after duel.

I must agree that I do hate the recent mentality that jerk face behaviours are simply considered as trolling which is synonym of cool nowadays :P. Trolling usually required some thought process and cunning but whatever, people are getting more and more hammered by mindless medias so I guess it simply follow the tendency.

Anyway, there's nothing to say or do really.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 07-09-2013 at 09:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread