+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looks like Todd H is leaving id

Senior Member jayP is on a distinguished road jayP's Avatar

Looks like Todd H is leaving id

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/446...-leaves-studio

I wonder who will be replacing him and how id will change after he leaves... I'd like to see more original id games, or a quake5 at least. Hopefully this isn't the slow dismantling of id, but a reboot to bring a new focus on what made id so unique as a game developer.

*Yo_Momma
    I really hope this wasn't because of a lack of confidence in the studio. I've read a lot of negative things about the development of Doom 4 from anonymous inside sources on Kotaku. Essentially that the game was a mess, not that good or fun, or at least not up to snuff with the competition. It's been completely restarted from scratch apparently, which can't be a good indication of id's strength at the craft.

The sad thing is, id has always been the best at competitive shooters, but these days all people want is on-rails shooters with big Hollywood-style cinematics and slow gameplay that holds their hand. id can't do that and if they did they'd alienate the oldschool fans while not winning many new ones because they'll be too busy playing COD anyway.

I'm hoping there will be a growing backlash against all these easy coddling games out there and more people will be interested in real skill-based competition again. This speaks nothing of the singleplayer experience though...

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    Is he going to still play QL once in awhile?

http://www.quakelive.com/#!profile/summary/toddh

Junior Member Platzpatron is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo_Momma View Post
    The sad thing is, id has always been the best at competitive shooters, but these days all people want is on-rails shooters with big Hollywood-style cinematics and slow gameplay that holds their hand.
    I think the problem is the input device. Games like Quake are unplayable with console controllers, and PC only games don't sell enough.

Member dec is on a distinguished road
    Didn't know him. Crazy ponytail though.

Junior Member RavenouZx is on a distinguished road
    Man he was one of my favorites from id software.

Atleast i got about 12 of his autographs while he was president...

sad to hear.

end of an era

Senior Member xdc is on a distinguished road xdc's Avatar
    todd h wasn't on any development team, this changes nothing except quakecon

+ Reply to Thread