+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with constant stutters

Member Scorpwolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    Sure, you can invest in a new ps2 compatible mouse, but that's money you can put into a mobo. I suggest you put your $ into a new up to date mobo that has usb 3.0. You can get a decent mobo for around +/- $100. Why not just do that... getting a ps2 compatible mouse is just a workaround, and keep in mind, I believe ps2 mice are limited to only a 200hz polling rate.

New mobo sir!
    Well..i'm not even sure if the MB is the real problem...new MB also means new cpu and ram that would be compatible..pretty much a new computer which i don't feel like i'm ready for yet..my computer works perfectly fine for pretty much everything else..so getting a new MB when i'm not even sure what the real issue is doesn't seem like a good idea..lol

you haven't answered some of my questions and this is leaving me more confused..so please answer me these questions if you can..

1) why would the game work fine in practice mode if there was something wrong with my MB, usb drivers or any of this dpc latency stuff..

2) why is the lag random when i play online?...if the dpc latency was the issue shouldn't it lag all the time?..how come i'm shooting rails at 50% one game..and my kill/death ratio is like 70/30 then the next game i'm shooting 30% with 50/50

4) why does latencymon gives me that error all the times on win7 when everything is disabled in device manager..it points to certain microsoft drivers that are causing the high latency..doesn't this suggest that it's something wrong with my win7 copy and not my MB?

This just doesn't make much sense if my MB is the issue..

BTW i tried reinstalling win xp and the latency seems to be much better and more stable so far..it's like 2-10 idle and when i move the mouse it doesn't go over 30..(i also changed my mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500 and that dropped its latency a bit)

but there's something weird on xp that i noticed and i'm not sure if that's the case with win7 too..when i use the keyboard and press firmly or hold any key the dpc spikes very high for a sec..i will have to test that on win7 and see if that happens there too..does that happen to you at all?

alright so 1 more question for you..

4) does your dpc latency stay under 30 all the times even during the game?...do you spike at all when you open or close programs..or going from window to fullscreen in firefox?..because i noticed whenever i switch from window to fullscreen i get high spikes for a sec but then it goes back to normal...is this normal or not?

Well i'm going to test this again with xp and see..i'm pretty close to giving up on the whole thing though..none of this makes any sense..and a new MB/computer just to play a dying game isn't really worth it atm..

Thanks again..i know you're trying to help but i'm just getting a bit too frustrated with this whole thing..
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 08-20-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpwolf View Post
    Well..i'm not even sure if the MB is the real problem...new MB also means new cpu and ram that would be compatible..pretty much a new computer which i don't feel like i'm ready for yet..my computer works perfectly fine for pretty much everything else..so getting a new MB when i'm not even sure what the real issue is doesn't seem like a good idea..lol

you haven't answered some of my questions and this is leaving me more confused..so please answer me these questions if you can..

1) why would the game work fine in practice mode if there was something wrong with my MB, usb drivers or any of this dpc latency stuff..

2) why is the lag random when i play online?...if the dpc latency was the issue shouldn't it lag all the time?..how come i'm shooting rails at 50% one game..and my kill/death ratio is like 70/30 then the next game i'm shooting 30% with 50/50

4) why does latencymon gives me that error all the times on win7 when everything is disabled in device manager..it points to certain microsoft drivers that are causing the high latency..doesn't this suggest that it's something wrong with my win7 copy and not my MB?

This just doesn't make much sense if my MB is the issue..

BTW i tried reinstalling win xp and the latency seems to be much better and more stable so far..it's like 2-10 idle and when i move the mouse it doesn't go over 30..(i also changed my mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500 and that dropped its latency a bit)

but there's something weird on xp that i noticed and i'm not sure if that's the case with win7 too..when i use the keyboard and press firmly or hold any key the dpc spikes very high for a sec..i will have to test that on win7 and see if that happens there too..does that happen to you at all?

alright so 1 more question for you..

4) does your dpc latency stay under 30 all the times even during the game?...do you spike at all when you open or close programs..or going from window to fullscreen in firefox?..because i noticed whenever i switch from window to fullscreen i get high spikes for a sec but then it goes back to normal...is this normal or not?

Well i'm going to test this again with xp and see..i'm pretty close to giving up on the whole thing though..none of this makes any sense..and a new MB/computer just to play a dying game isn't really worth it atm..

Thanks again..i know you're trying to help but i'm just getting a bit too frustrated with this whole thing..
    1) In practice mode, you don't really notice input lag because you're not paired up against players (over a network) that experience less input lag than yourself. Everything you see is at your system's speed, so it's difficult to diagnose the issue from practice mode. Also, if you feel it's fine in practice mode, it may be network related. Stutter, input lag, delay, etc, can be related to having certain network devices enabled in device manager such as the teredo adapter, tap devices, etc. Make sure all your network devices are disabled w/ the exception of your primary NIC device (Must click 'Show Hidden Devices,' in device manager to see them).

2) It could very well be random, which is typical of DPC latency issues. DPC latency doesn't always spike at even intervals, it can spike intermittently due to an array of different factors. This is one of many explanations as to why it is 'random.' I had the same issue, and it was never consistent. Some days it felt fine, other days I'm spawning w/ 170h then dead before I had any idea what happened.

3) DPC latency isn't just related to devices shown in device manager. It can be caused by faulty system files or system files that don't agree w/ other applications on your system. Applications too can cause very high or random DPC latency spikes. Also, remember to disable Multimedia-class Scheduler. You can google how to do this if you haven't already. This service sucks up bandwidth randomly and can cause random lag, stutter, etc. This service has dependencies, so you need to look up how to disable services w/ dependencies.

I'd also like to remind you, that USB power tends to fluctuate depending on how many devices are plugged in there. You mouse and keyboard are spiking your DPC latency which is a BAD BAD thing. This should not happen on your desktop, if it does, you get in game mouse lag. Honestly, you're probably used to the mouse lag which is why it feels normal in practice mode, but I can say confidently, you're getting mouse lag as well whether you notice it or not. This is clearly caused by your usb controller/drivers.

4) My latency for the most part always stays under 30us now. If I open it program, it rarely spikes to 50us, but no more. If it does, it's likely because I have many browser windows open and several other apps. Also, if you get high dpc latency spikes by changing browser window's, no, this is not normal. This is a clear sign of bad drivers.

I know how you feel, I dealt w/ this crap my first 12 months back at this game. Very frustrating, but at least you have a better idea of what's going on. Also, you may want to try different BIOS versions.

FYI:

Found a good quick DPC Latency troubleshooting tutorial, check it out.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...sta-7-8-a.html

Correction:

I said earlier, "It goes to no more than 30us when I move the mouse quickly which is normal. All my input lag and stutter is gone, and my qlive has never felt more responsive, feels like it's wired in."

This was tested briefly, and is INCORRECT. Spiking dpc latency w/ mouse movement is not normal, maybe common, but not normal. You should not experience dpc latency spikes w/ mouse movement as this will give you a good combo of mouselag/input lag.
    Last edited by c3; 08-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.

FYI:

There are some good threads regarding out there regarding 'dpc latency spikes w/ mouse movement,' that may serve you well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1390433/m...ent-dpc-spikes <-- I had the exact same problem. DPC Latency spikes w/ mouse movement w/ a 1000hz mouse plugged into usb 2.0, but no spikes at all plugged into asmedia usb 3.0.

Perhaps you can look for an independent asmedia usb 3.0 controller for your system or something similar. On that note, didn't you already get a rosewill usb 3.0 card? Does your latency spike when plugged into these 3.0 ports?
    Last edited by c3; 08-21-2013 at 11:50 AM.

1) In practice mode, you don't really notice input lag because you're not paired up against players (over a network) that experience less input lag than yourself. Everything you see is at your system's speed, so it's difficult to diagnose the issue from practice mode. Also, if you feel it's fine in practice mode, it may be network related. Stutter, input lag, delay, etc, can be related to having certain network devices enabled in device manager such as the teredo adapter, tap devices, etc. Make sure all your network devices are disabled w/ the exception of your primary NIC device (Must click 'Show Hidden Devices,' in device manager to see them).

2) It could very well be random, which is typical of DPC latency issues. DPC latency doesn't always spike at even intervals, it can spike intermittently due to an array of different factors. This is one of many explanations as to why it is 'random.' I had the same issue, and it was never consistent. Some days it felt fine, other days I'm spawning w/ 170h then dead before I had any idea what happened.

3) DPC latency isn't just related to devices shown in device manager. It can be caused by faulty system files or system files that don't agree w/ other applications on your system. Applications too can cause very high or random DPC latency spikes. Also, remember to disable Multimedia-class Scheduler. You can google how to do this if you haven't already. This service sucks up bandwidth randomly and can cause random lag, stutter, etc. This service has dependencies, so you need to look up how to disable services w/ dependencies.

I'd also like to remind you, that USB power tends to fluctuate depending on how many devices are plugged in there. You mouse and keyboard are spiking your DPC latency which is a BAD BAD thing. This should not happen on your desktop, if it does, you get in game mouse lag. Honestly, you're probably used to the mouse lag which is why it feels normal in practice mode, but I can say confidently, you're getting mouse lag as well whether you notice it or not. This is clearly caused by your usb controller/drivers.

4) My latency for the most part always stays under 30us now. If I open it program, it rarely spikes to 50us, but no more. If it does, it's likely because I have many browser windows open and several other apps. Also, if you get high dpc latency spikes by changing browser window's, no, this is not normal. This is a clear sign of bad drivers.

I know how you feel, I dealt w/ this crap my first 12 months back at this game. Very frustrating, but at least you have a better idea of what's going on. Also, you may want to try different BIOS versions.
    Thanks for answering my questions..

1) yes i've disabled those like you told me before but the problem was still there..

2) i see..it's just confusing because when the game is running fine my dpc latency is probably still spiking..that's why i don't understand why it would run fine if the dpc latency was the cause of the lag..

3) I think i've already done that..but will look into Multimedia-class Scheduler again

and my keyboard causes spikes only on xp..but you're right i'm still getting some input/mouse lag even in practice mode..it's just not horrid like online..that's why i said it's fine..but it can def. be better..also the input lag seems to be better on certain maps but i haven't tried that many maps..

4) alright thanks..well that's one thing i can't seem to figure out now..i spike to 100-200 whenever i open programs or firefox..i also spike when i switch from fullscreen to window mode..could this be related to the usb too or something else?

Yea..been dealing with it for 2 years now..i'm just stubborn like you and won't rest until i fix it...or maybe not..lol..and yea i tried different bios..

FYI:

There are some good threads regarding out there regarding 'dpc latency spikes w/ mouse movement,' that may serve you well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1390433/m...ent-dpc-spikes <-- I had the exact same problem. DPC Latency spikes w/ mouse movement w/ a 1000hz mouse plugged into usb 2.0, but no spikes at all plugged into asmedia usb 3.0.

Perhaps you can look for an independent asmedia usb 3.0 controller for your system or something similar. On that note, didn't you already get a rosewill usb 3.0 card? Does your latency spike when plugged into these 3.0 ports?
    yea i've seen that DPC Latency troubleshooting tutorial..i've already posted it here too..lol

Anyways..i got a usb 2.0 card not 3.0..i remember you said earlier 3 wasn't very good and i should stick with 2..that's why i bought one that didn't have 3.0..maybe i misunderstood something..but that's ok..

So you're suggesting that i should try a 3.0 card..is there a specific one that i should get..my MB is GA-EP45-UD3P

something like this should work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A294P4X9EWVXLJ

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815124120

BTW i looked at ebay and found some cheap new intel MBs that could replace mine (for some reason i couldn't find any on newegg before when i looked)...i also found some Asus ones but they are used in good condition..do you recommend asus over intel or doesn't matter..also how can i find out if they have the power management settings in BIOS you mentioned..and what if i still get the same issues with another MB?

I still want to try the usb 3.0 card first if you think that can fix it..but might get one of those MBs from ebay if all fails..
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 08-22-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks for answering my questions..

1) yes i've disabled those like you told me before but the problem was still there..

2) i see..it's just confusing because when the game is running fine my dpc latency is probably still spiking..that's why i don't understand why it would run fine if the dpc latency was the cause of the lag..

3) I think i've already done that..but will look into Multimedia-class Scheduler again

and my keyboard causes spikes only on xp..but you're right i'm still getting some input/mouse lag even in practice mode..it's just not horrid like online..that's why i said it's fine..but it can def. be better..also the input lag seems to be better on certain maps but i haven't tried that many maps..

4) alright thanks..well that's one thing i can't seem to figure out now..i spike to 100-200 whenever i open programs or firefox..i also spike when i switch from fullscreen to window mode..could this be related to the usb too or something else?

Yea..been dealing with it for 2 years now..i'm just stubborn like you and won't rest until i fix it...or maybe not..lol..and yea i tried different bios..
    1) The thing w/ network adapters is that teredo adapters tend to re-add themselves without your consent up to 4-5 times. So I would check device manager w/ show hidden devices turned on before each time you play to ensure additional network adapters haven't added themselves without your consent or knowledge. For my system, I had to disable teredo up to 5 times before it stopped doing it automatically. Teredo #1, teredo #2, etc.

2) I recommend running qlive in window'd mode w/ dpc latency checker running so you can see if it's spiking in game.

3) Definitely look into disabling this, it cuts your bandwidth intermittently causing spikes and stutter. Disable this sucker, but once again, you need to google how to disable services w/ 'dependencies.' Not too hard to do.

4) Spiking to 100-200 when opening programs isn't horrible, but getting mouse dpc spikes is bad all in itself. What matters is how consistent your DPC latency is while in game. If it's spiking nonstop while in game, then you will get intermittent lag and stutter.

yea i've seen that DPC Latency troubleshooting tutorial..i've already posted it here too..lol

Anyways..i got a usb 2.0 card not 3.0..i remember you said earlier 3 wasn't very good and i should stick with 2..that's why i bought one that didn't have 3.0..maybe i misunderstood something..but that's ok..

So you're suggesting that i should try a 3.0 card..is there a specific one that i should get..my MB is GA-EP45-UD3P

something like this should work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A294P4X9EWVXLJ

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815124120

BTW i looked at ebay and found some cheap new intel MBs that could replace mine (for some reason i couldn't find any on newegg before when i looked)...i also found some Asus ones but they are used in good condition..do you recommend asus over intel or doesn't matter..also how can i find out if they have the power management settings in BIOS you mentioned..and what if i still get the same issues with another MB?

I still want to try the usb 3.0 card first if you think that can fix it..but might get one of those MBs from ebay if all fails..
    If you're going to try a usb 3.0 card, I strongly recommend the one below because it utilizes asmedia drivers. I know these drivers are SOLID for qlive and your mouse latency doesn't spike. If it does, then it only strengthens the argument that you need a new mobo. These are the same asmedia drivers I use for my built in asmedia usb 3.0 controller. I could probably even tell you the exact drivers I am using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1DS0P64914

FYI: If you go w/ the above card, i recommend disabling your built-in usb 2.0 controllers and the bios and system level and just utilize usb 3.0 on the above card. This should help out your latency as well.

--

I can't comment on intel boards as I've never owned one, but I can vouch for Asus boards. I use one myself and love it. Here's the catcher... whether you go w/ an intel or asus board, do you research before hand and ENSURE that you can disable HPET on the board you purchase. If you upgrade to a board where HPET is permanently enabled, you just screwed yourself into an irreversible state of unacceptable stutter and system lag.
    Last edited by c3; 08-22-2013 at 01:08 PM.

1) The thing w/ network adapters is that teredo adapters tend to re-add themselves without your consent up to 4-5 times. So I would check device manager w/ show hidden devices turned on before each time you play to ensure additional network adapters haven't added themselves without your consent or knowledge. For my system, I had to disable teredo up to 5 times before it stopped doing it automatically. Teredo #1, teredo #2, etc.

2) I recommend running qlive in window'd mode w/ dpc latency checker running so you can see if it's spiking in game.

3) Definitely look into disabling this, it cuts your bandwidth intermittently causing spikes and stutter. Disable this sucker, but once again, you need to google how to disable services w/ 'dependencies.' Not too hard to do.

4) Spiking to 100-200 when opening programs isn't horrible, but getting mouse dpc spikes is bad all in itself. What matters is how consistent your DPC latency is while in game. If it's spiking nonstop while in game, then you will get intermittent lag and stutter.
    1) yea i disabled them..and i'm using xp now and they're not there..but i disabled everything except my network card

2) In xp the dpc latency is more stable it's under 40 most of the time..but only spikes when i go from fullscreen to window mode..in win7 it was spiking to 100-200 more often

3) will do but this only applies to win7..right?..btw are there any services in xp that also run in the background like in win7?

4) well in xp the dpc latency is much lower and stable..i got it to be 2-10 idle and under 30 with mouse movement..the lag in ql is still there though..so not sure..maybe it's just like you said..there shouldn't be any spikes when i move the mouse and that might be the cause of the lag..

I think i also need to try a new network card..the onboard realtek drivers seems weird and unstable..i only get spikes in xp now mainly when i try to do something online..like going from fullscreen to window mode or just normal surfing..maybe the realtek drivers are causing this because i tried updating it and the newer ones seem to cause more spikes..so i went back to the old ones that came with the MB for now..

I tried some offline game too that used to lag a bit and now the lag is very minimal and pretty much gone..so this suggests that maybe it's the network card or the usb mouse that's causing my problems in ql and not the MB..

Do you recommend a certain LAN card that has low dpc latency?

I'm looking at this one right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I tried updating the BIOS again btw and the keyboard spikes seemed to disappear in xp..windows just takes longer to shut down now..will try old ones again and see..
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 08-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.

If you're going to try a usb 3.0 card, I strongly recommend the one below because it utilizes asmedia drivers. I know these drivers are SOLID for qlive and your mouse latency doesn't spike. If it does, then it only strengthens the argument that you need a new mobo. These are the same asmedia drivers I use for my built in asmedia usb 3.0 controller. I could probably even tell you the exact drivers I am using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1DS0P64914

FYI: If you go w/ the above card, i recommend disabling your built-in usb 2.0 controllers and the bios and system level and just utilize usb 3.0 on the above card. This should help out your latency as well.

--

I can't comment on intel boards as I've never owned one, but I can vouch for Asus boards. I use one myself and love it. Here's the catcher... whether you go w/ an intel or asus board, do you research before hand and ENSURE that you can disable HPET on the board you purchase. If you upgrade to a board where HPET is permanently enabled, you just screwed yourself into an irreversible state of unacceptable stutter and system lag.
    Alright i guess i'll go with that one if you think it might work better for ql..

This should also work with xp..right?

I might ask you for the drivers later if i need them..thanks

Alright..just not sure how to ensure you can disable HPET because i don't think it says in the description...do you just google it and find out?

I'm looking at this one now for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5B-DEL...cd4b851f9#shId
    Last edited by Scorpwolf; 08-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread