+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quake live lan

Junior Member selven_blah is on a distinguished road

Quake live lan

Hi, Well i do know that people will probably start shouting that we can already create quake3 servers and play from it (To which i'd probably sing that i don't want to redownload q3, find all those maps again, get cpma install (too much of a hassle because i am lazy)).

It can be a pretty nice 'paid' service, and revenue generating for ql.

Why I find this as nice:
    1. I never get a latency lower than 119ms (normal is 154ms), i sure would love some proper gaming from time to time, sure 1xx latency doesn't bother me on everyday usage, but at times, you just want to have that q3 feeling again.
    2. Very often, am at work, behind a vpn, playing in my free time is impossible, even if i happen to know a few ql users in office. I wouldn't mind paying for a service that allows me to have a few ql matches at work.
    3. Since it is a lan thingy, you can get access to it only via invites. Makes sense.
    4. All the above might in turn contribute in more 'user contributed' servers. Brings down latency, brings in more users to the game, which in turn, brings in more conflict between people, which in turn brings in more money, since some times, some people wouldn't want to play in servers some rival users created

Just my 2 cents.

+$3|v3n

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    F1 10chars.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Wouldn't that derail the business model of QL which is "selling cloud servers (pro) and the ability to play on them (premium)"?

If it would be possible that you run your own LAN server without a proper internet connection, there would be no need for the ql.com site anymore.

As much as I understand your problems, I doubt it will ever happen. Maybe if they shut down QL someday they might release their code changes as a Q3 point release, but tbh that's something I don't want.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    Wouldn't that derail the business model of QL which is "selling cloud servers (pro) and the ability to play on them (premium)"?
    Derail is far too strong of a term here. LAN only compromises some tiny percentage of the overall connectivity.

If it could be kept on LAN I don't see a problem with it, in fact it's one of those things that everyone wants, and would really come in handy at major tournaments.

The problem would be with hacked servers. If there was a lan version of QL widely available, it would be too easy to just hack it so that it works online, as lan is not vastly different in its mechanism. This would be closer to the 'derailing' you mentioned.

I thought about having a lan server set up require a connection to the cloud, but this has the same problem really.

If it would be possible that you run your own LAN server without a proper internet connection, there would be no need for the ql.com site anymore.
    Online is where the community is though. A multiplayer game that only works on lan could not become nearly as popular.

I wonder if they couldn't sell a service where if you have a server with the appropriate requirements you can host your own QL servers that users can connect to and see the status on from quake live.

The same level of quality assurance couldn't exist, but there are arguably problems with that with the current model. Also with as few servers as there are, it seems like Id should pay them to host instead of the other way around since having more locations is good for subscriptions.

The motivation here is that really if spawning servers was as easy as it was in Q3/QW, I can't help but think that there would be some really good ones showing up in almost all areas.

I mean I could host a QW server myself at any time, even though my U/L is not good, and there are all kinds of latency issues. A lot of great servers came about though from gamers working at ISPs and just turned a quake server on privately in a backroom somewhere. With the current model this is impossible.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Derail is far too strong of a term here.
    <-- German ;-)

If it could be kept on LAN I don't see a problem with it
    I really doubt you don't see the problem, because:
    The problem would be with hacked servers.
    That's what I meant. To eliminate this, some sort of online authentification had to be in place. And that would turn the idea of having LAN server ad absurdum, not?

This would be closer to the 'derailing' you mentioned.
    And it was my main point. Maybe should've made this clearer.

I wonder if they couldn't sell a service where if you have a server with the appropriate requirements you can host your own QL servers that users can connect to and see the status on from quake live.
    Ofc they could. But then id had to drop their current business model for QL and basically become a paid version of QTracker. Would you pay for that? The moment you can host custom QL servers, you can access them without ever visiting QL.com.

The only way to keep this community centralized id by forcing them to play on centralized servers. I cannot imagine a LAN solution that is not open to be hacked/abused and, in the end, killing this community.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Junior Member selven_blah is on a distinguished road
    If we enabled stats on lan, and allowed only premium or pro members to create 1 lan game, its easy to know implementation wise that there is a paid user on minimum per lan. By a hacked lan, you mean forcing running quakelive on a lan, the hack would be overkill, because there's already quake3 for that. If you are not premium, you can't create lan games.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Donating a server to QL is not far off.

The difference is: in current model, when you donate a server, you don't get full control over the games played there. Players still need QL subscriptions to play all maps and spawn servers there. And anyone with a subscription can spawn there.

For example, my team likes to play on Italian server (which was donated by the Italian community and the idS clan - thank you guys, the server is great and it pings good!), so I just go and spawn a game server on their box.

Oh, and you need to give root access to QL staff, which scares some people off. Rumor says we'd get 2 more servers if that wasn't required.

A lot of great servers came about though from gamers working at ISPs and just turned a quake server on privately in a backroom somewhere. With the current model this is impossible.
    Impossible? But that's how many QL servers used to operate (all over the world, in NA as well). Some are still like that.

Quote Originally Posted by selven_blah View Post
    If we enabled stats on lan, and allowed only premium or pro members to create 1 lan game, its easy to know implementation wise that there is a paid user on minimum per lan.
    Yeah, this is how it works in QL. The problem currently is that the staff needs to set up each server and it absolutely has to have online access to update server browser (remember the server browser is actually a webpage hosted somewhere else than your LAN), authenticate users to servers and most importantly, report game results.

So there's much work on id's part to make sure the server is actually part of QL. And it's not likely to change any time soon. That's why LAN servers were only set up for major tournaments and not people wanting to frag a bit in the office.

Junior Member xuw is on a distinguished road
    I reported earlier that I could provide a server in Thailand, located on NIX. No reply........

+ Reply to Thread