+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flying through the map

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Getting good at strafe jumping and circle jumping should be your first goal.

From there rocket jumping gets easier because you develop an innate sense for what actions help you accelerate while in the air and between jumps.

Rocket jumping with serious speed across a map take a good amount of practice and isn't all that valuable in most quake games. It can be a lot of fun though.

Junior Member laholic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I lol'd.

^^
    What is funny. I use m_yaw myself.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    its the same value, but not having the first 0 it behaves differently,try it out. Same with adding 000.022
    It behaves no differently this is placebo. It goes from a cvar_T string into a float where it will be interpreted exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by laholic View Post
    What is funny. I use m_yaw myself.
    Was in reference to his 0.022 != .022

Anyways I recommend that all players keep yaw at default because it makes it easier to discuss sensitivity and accel.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Imo changing yaw/pitch should only be done if you really want different horizontal/vertical sensitivity. Changing them both to the same value is nonsense since it's merely a factor to sensitivity iirc.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malk_ View Post
    Imo changing yaw/pitch should only be done if you really want different horizontal/vertical sensitivity.
    Yep, just change m_pitch either lower or higher.

Changing them both to the same value is nonsense since it's merely a factor to sensitivity iirc.
    You do recall correctly ;-)

You have to be careful because yaw makes both sens _and_ accel greater in their effect. That's one of the reasons why it's frustrating when people change their yaw and then want to discuss their sens/accel settings. Even yaw 0.025 can make a huge difference in this regard, even at 400 cpi.

So yeah if you're going to change them both just use sensitivity or you will make a mess :-P

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    It goes from a cvar_T string into a float where it will be interpreted exactly the same.
    l.
    cvar_T string? you lost me Lorfa
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

cvar_T string? you lost me Lorfa
    Cvars are a struct called cvar_t, which contain the properties of the cvar such as its flag, its name, its value, etc. It takes the value as a string, meaning it can be letters or numbers or w/e.

A string is in the form of an array of characters, which ends in a special character called a "null terminator" (A single character that is sometimes written as '/0'). This is how it knows the difference between say 100 and 1000. It would show up in a 5 character array as: 0100/0 and 1000/0 respectively.

Cvar_t also has an entry for a floating point number. It takes the string, and runs it through a function called atof which changes it from a string into a double, which is then shoved into a float. The game can then ask for the float portion of the cvar structure for that cvar.

"The atof function skips all white-space characters at the beginning of the string, converts the subsequent characters as part of the number, and then stops when it encounters the first character that isn't a number." Source: http://www.techonthenet.com/c_langua...lib_h/atof.php

If no valid conversion could be performed it will report "0.0".

This results in the following behavior which can be tested in QL:

m_yaw "sdlfkj" is the same as "m_yaw 0.0" (stopped when it encountered a letter 's', had nothing to convert so returned 0.0).

m_yaw "sdlkfjsdf0.022" is 0.0 for the same reason.

m_yaw "0.022sdlfkjsdlfj" is 0.022, since it stops when it encounters a letter.

It ignores white space and leading 0's. So 00000000000.022 is the same as 0000.022

Both 0.022 and .022 as 32-bit floats will result in:

0b00111100101101000011100101011000 = 0x3CB43958 = 0.02199999988079071

The point I'm trying to make is that not only is 0.022 = .022 , but when it matters the computer doesn't even know if you inputted 0.022 or .022 or 000000000000000000000.0220000000000000000000000

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    thanks for explaining cvar_t, thats good info to know.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    thanks for explaining cvar_t, thats good info to know.
    Yeah...I dunno how I lived so long without knowing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

+ Reply to Thread