+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recovery of ultrav for Q3

Member saturnz is on a distinguished road

recovery of ultrav for Q3

In 2004/05 I did a Q3 remake of the old QW map UltraViolence commonly referred to as UltraV. It was hosted on our local servers with good feedback.

However at that time due to studies and other personal reasons, I drifted away from Quake and since returned in 2009.

Unfortunately in the interim period my hdd crashed and I lost quite a bit of data, including my workings for the map. I managed to get the final release from another player I met on the QL servers.

If I recall correctly from the years I did use GTK, the final .bsp cannot really be edited. Is this still the case and if so how would I be able to proceed with marketing my map? I must add I also lost my Q3 so I would have to purchase a copy of that as well.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    I wonder how ultrav would play in QL! Played it millions of times in QW.

The .map file is definitely required for it to have any hope of being added to QL. Even then, the path is a difficult one.

Er, if you have the bsp why not provide a link here? I think you just jam it into a pk3 file with quakelivedec and you could get the map to run.. sorta. Probably will have texture issues.

thankz for the response

all the textures were custom and included in the file, so I'm hoping they should all work

I'll sift through my mail to find the file and upload it.

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    You can decompile .bsp files to get the .map file back. The downside is you lose all texture alignments.

can you suggest a place I can upload the file too, its about 4MB

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    For temporary file hosting, use filedropper.com

More permanent hosting use dropbox.com (ya you have to download it and install it, but it's really not that big of a deal, just use the website only after you install it).

If you need to host something that's either really large, or will likely be downloaded by hundreds if not thousands of people, dropbox will not work (it will max out and freeze your account). In this case you'll have to ask around to see if someone has web hosting you can use.

http://www.filedropper.com/ultrav

okay thats the copy of my map, I tried searching for it and noticed there is another conversion done in 2008 although mine was done about 3 or 4 years before.

Ha! That brings back memories!

It's definitely going to need some work for QL, because it results in FS_Loadzip error if you have it in quakelive/baseq3. I remembered to make it read-only of course.

It does however load in wolfcam, presumably because it's a Q3 map.

Seems like it would play rather +backy in a q3/QL type environment though.

thankz for giving it a bash and providing feedback

I'm not sure what kind of games it will result in because shortly after I made that map I stopped playing as well.

It would be difficult to get players now too because there are no Q3 servers where I am so sad end I guess.

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnz View Post
    thankz for giving it a bash and providing feedback

I'm not sure what kind of games it will result in because shortly after I made that map I stopped playing as well.

It would be difficult to get players now too because there are no Q3 servers where I am so sad end I guess.
    you can get players for q3 testing map...many of them still have q3 installed...you just need a topic in general and ask for help
    im sure that beta players will help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downlink View Post
    Add A Killcam Maybe?
    Only available for COD MW3 owners!Coming soon i next update....

+ Reply to Thread