+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lag problem - please help!

*golub047

Lag problem - please help!

So, I'm from Croatia & everybody knows that internet is not so good in this damn country, however, I constantly get some lags every now & then through a match of QL, it's not from the beginning to the end of the game (like all the time), but in some periods.
    For example I play normaly for 1 min, then I get lags for a few seconds and it's impossible to play for that period of time when it lags!

I am connected through a DSL, but on WiFi connection, because I am playing on a notebook, and I don't wanna wire connection, could it be because of WiFi connection, cause I have read there are some problems due to 'package loss' - whatever that is?!

And here's the picture of lagometer for that period of time when QL is lagging!

http://i40.tinypic.com/4se3dk.jpg

Hope You guys can help me, thanks!

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golub047 View Post
    I am connected through a DSL, but on WiFi connection, because I am playing on a notebook, and I don't wanna wire connection, could it be because of WiFi connection, cause I have read there are some problems due to 'package loss' - whatever that is?!
    Could you just try using wired connection for a bit so we can eliminate that possibility? Turn off the wireless mode on your router, connect it with ethernet cable, and if you don't get lags, we can try to diagnose why they occur with wi-fi (low signal, interference, shared wi-fi, etc).

So, I'm from Croatia & everybody knows that internet is not so good in this damn country, however, I constantly get some lags every now & then through a match of QL, it's not from the beginning to the end of the game (like all the time), but in some periods.
    For example I play normaly for 1 min, then I get lags for a few seconds and it's impossible to play for that period of time when it lags!
    What programs are running the background while you're playing? Disable Java Update, Adobe Update, Flash Update, Windows Update service and other possible updaters, kill the processes that might stress your connection at random intervals — torrent clients, mail clients, ftp clients, web browsers, etc.

Read this post for a rough idea of how I'd attempt to solve the problem with Sysinternals suite. If you leave procmon open while you're playing and stop it (CTRL+E) after a lag wave, you can see if there were any Net I/O events that could have caused that.

But try the wired route first, that will eliminate one possible culprit. The above method will eliminate the possibility that lags are caused by some background software. If you still get lags after that, and you have optimal net settings in QL (rate 25000, cl_maxpackets 125), then it might have something to do with your connection and you'll need to yell at your ISP.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

*golub047
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLOL View Post
    Could you just try using wired connection for a bit so we can eliminate that possibility? Turn off the wireless mode on your router, connect it with ethernet cable, and if you don't get lags, we can try to diagnose why they occur with wi-fi (low signal, interference, shared wi-fi, etc).

What programs are running the background while you're playing? Disable Java Update, Adobe Update, Flash Update, Windows Update service and other possible updaters, kill the processes that might stress your connection at random intervals — torrent clients, mail clients, ftp clients, web browsers, etc.

Read this post for a rough idea of how I'd attempt to solve the problem with Sysinternals suite. If you leave procmon open while you're playing and stop it (CTRL+E) after a lag wave, you can see if there were any Net I/O events that could have caused that.

But try the wired route first, that will eliminate one possible culprit. The above method will eliminate the possibility that lags are caused by some background software. If you still get lags after that, and you have optimal net settings in QL (rate 25000, cl_maxpackets 125), then it might have something to do with your connection and you'll need to yell at your ISP.
    Ok man, thank You for the reply, I will try it connecting directly to the router & will get back to You ASAP!

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road

And here's the picture of lagometer for that period of time when QL is lagging!

http://i40.tinypic.com/4se3dk.jpg

Hope You guys can help me, thanks!
    If you're lagging on 1 min intervals, it may not even be related to your Internet connection, but to Window's 7 settings causing ping spikes at regular intervals.

If connecting directly to your router w/ a cable doesn't fix the issue, try these fixes/tweaks:

1) Open up services.msc and disable 'Windows Event Log.' This is widely known for causing ping spikes on regular intervals.

2) Open up your network connections, right click on your network adapter, then properties. Disable IPV6 <- Also known for causing ping spikes on regular intervals.

3) Open up your device manager. Click the view tab, then 'Show Hidden Devices.' Scroll down to your network adapter and expand. Right click all instances and click disable, except for your network card adapter. You will see things w/ ISATAP, Teredo, etc. Disable them.

4) You need to tweak your 'Multimedia Class Scheduler' service so it doesn't suck up your bandwidth at random intervals. This causes ping spikes galore. Follow this guide:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1043281

5) Window's 7 (If you're using W7) automatically reserves 20% of your bandwidth by default. To enable W7 to allocate 100% of your bandwidth for use, follow this guide. It utilizes group policy to force %100 bandwidth for use. If your version of Window's doesn't support group policy, google this and how to tweak this in your registry. Follow below guide:

http://windows7themes.net/disable-ba...-internet.html

6) Finally, disable 'Window's Defender.' If you don't know how to do this, google it.

--

All above possible fixes can only help you and improve your connection, quite significantly for gaming, IMO.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread