+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Permanent connection interrupted

Junior Member xtribit is on a distinguished road

Question Permanent connection interrupted

When I connect a game and click join or spectate, I have permanent "connection interrupted" error till I get disconnected. I disabled antivir and firewall, that didn't help, the server ip is pinged properly.
    Any ideas?

The strange thing about it is that when connecting to my router wirelessly from my laptop, it is ok - no connection interrupted error at all. The error happens when connecting directly to my router from my desktop.
    Reinstalling didn't help.
    Last edited by xtribit; 06-10-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    Any chance you have an old router laying around to try to compare results? I would think the fact you can connect w/o issue via a wireless connection means either your ethernet cable is bad or your router is in need of a replacement.

Speaking of ethernet cables, maybe try swapping that out as well as an experiement.
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Try net_restart and see if that shakes you out of it.

You could also try throttling the upload with:

cl_maxpackets "63" // As opposed to 125
    rate "8000" // as opposed to 25000
    cl_packetdup "0" // as opposed to 1 or up to 5
    com_maxfps "30" // as opposed to 125

..and see if you can remain connected.

Otherwise yeah, it looks like UDP traffic is being blocked over certain ports.

Not from the router, since your laptop gets through.

One thing you could try is plugging directly into the modem, I have a feeling that the problem will persist. That would verify that it's not the router, but some software on your desktop that is blocking udp traffic.

As you advised, I connected my laptop directly and it works. So currently trying to figure out what kind of software on my desktop can block udp traffic.
    After rebooting my desktop, the first time I connected a game just after rebooting, it was ok, but after a few minutes when I connected one more time, the connection interrupted again. So something is wrong with software environment I guess.
    Last edited by xtribit; 06-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xtribit View Post
    As you advised, I connected my laptop directly and it works.
    I actually meant to plug the desktop into the modem, but the evidence is already weighted towards a desktop software issue.

So currently trying to figure out what kind of software on my desktop can block udp traffic.
    After rebooting my desktop, the first time I connected a game just after rebooting, it was ok, but after a few minutes when I connected one more time, the connection interrupted again. So something is wrong with software environment I guess.
    Maybe try temporarily disabling anti-virus, and/or tinkering with windows security settings (disable firewall).

There's also the possibility that your browser does some of this blocking. Try turning down its security settings as well.

I checked all possible blockers (firewall, antivirus, browser settings, etc.), windows event log, tried to analyze open udp ports. I wonder whether maybe there is some kind of a log (other than the console that seems to be clean) that could show some kind of problems leading to "connection interrupted" error.

cg_drawSnapShot 1

Maybe..

Nothing helps. Don't want to reinstall the system. Bumping it up, sorry, maybe there will be some more ideas.

Does the same thing happen in Q3 for example? Like can you join a random server there and have it not lock?

+ Reply to Thread