+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing: The Shaderlist

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb Introducing: The Shaderlist

In this article I want to lose a few words about the mysterious shaderlist.

What is the shaderlist?

The shaderlist is a text file inside your baseq3\scripts folder that GTKradiant and Q3map2 use to determine what shader files they need to load.

Why is the shaderlist important for me?

QuakeLive as you download it from the website does not come with an up to date shaderlist. Due to this, shader entries of newer maps (e.g. repent, cure) are missing in the default QuakeLive setup which causes some shaders not to be listed in the textures menu.
    If you are interested in using all QuakeLive shaders you need to get an up to date version of the shaderlist.txt and put it inside your baseq3\scripts folder.

OMG, OMG, OMG, where can I get an up to date shaderlist???

DOWNLOAD (Dropbox)

---

Future versions of GTKradiant are hopefully going to come with an up to date shaderlist but for now you need to set this up manually. If you added any custom shaders to your current shaderlist, be sure to port them to the new file.

For more basic information about shaders read: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...der-The-Basics
    Last edited by cityy; 06-06-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Junior Member Guitar_Monkey is on a distinguished road
    I altered the file in wolfcam map, hope that was right

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    If I understand you correctly and you replaced the shaderlist inside wolfcamql\baseq3\scripts with the new one from this post you did it right.

Member Obsidian is on a distinguished road
    GtkRadiant now includes a default_shaderlist.txt. It's pretty complete and has shader entries for most of the commonly used shader groups. I think cityy's list is more complete, but at the cost of extra load time since the editor and compiler has to process a lot more information. It's a bit of a trade off, and I think the user has to decide on what works for them.

The takeaway here is that as a level designer, you need to know that the shaderlist.txt file exists and you need to modify it accordingly to what works for you.

I made a note to myself to do a diff between cityy's and QBall's copies and leave some of the non-critical stuff commented out. Might be a little more user friendly this way. I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions if anyone has any.

+ Reply to Thread