+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does a forfeit count as victory if there've only been 2 or 3 players ?

Junior Member Rejutka_Lupex is on a distinguished road

Why does a forfeit count as victory if there've only been 2 or 3 players ?

Apparently, I've just "won" my first game.
    There's been only two or three players at a time in this FFA, and for some undisclosed reason they all quit the game. (Probably because a game of two isn't really that hot.)

In the end, I was the last one not quitting - therefore I "won".

Could you not implement a new result - "forfeit" or something?

Member Niezbo is on a distinguished road
    I guess it's ok the way it is right now. Let's say You were that good You made them rage-quit. You earned 'win' - they 'quit'. IMHO it's all working perfectly.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    They quit, their loss is your gain. Win's a win.

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    @ Rejutka_Lupex
    I believe that in FFA, if all the other players quit on you, you must have the most frags at the moment the game forfeits in order for you to get the 'win'. So you must have had the lead when everyone bailed out on you. So you got the 'win'.

If you do not have the most frags, then the results say something like '2nd of 2' or '2nd of 3' or whatever. You would NOT get the 'win' even if you are the last player left in the game.

And the player(s) who quit do not get the win either - even if one of them had the most frags at the time that they quit.

I have had this happen to me. Someone who is beating me in FFA will quit. They get no win. I get '2nd of 2'.
    Makes sense I guess.

Senior Member Rebecca will become famous soon enough Rebecca's Avatar
    Thanks drunkenFooL - I recently had a player who was beating me quit early in the game, and my stats afterward showed "2nd of 2." I quit right after the player quit - Had I known how this would be recorded, I would have stuck it out, waiting for more to join. I did not check how the game was recorded in the "winners" stats.

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    @ Rebecca Well, remember that if there were only the two of you, then after that dude quit, the FFA game mode auto-forfeits because FFA cannot be played with just one player left.

I guess I am trying to say that you were fine to also quit, because you had no choice really. The auto-forfeit is instant and I don't see how you could have stuck it out to see if others would join. At least that is the way it is in pub FFA. Maybe if you are running your own FFA server, you can somehow over-ride that auto-forfeit, but I don't know how you could do that.

gg's

I just thought of something - were the two of you just messing around in FFA in warm-up? Because then if the dude quit, - you certainly could have stuck around to see if others would join (which I know you know this). But once the game starts, everything mentioned above will apply.
    Last edited by drunkenFooL; 06-19-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: thouught of something to add

Senior Member Rebecca will become famous soon enough Rebecca's Avatar
    I guess one problem with the FFA auto-forfeit as it's described would be that a player who is ahead by just a frag or two early in a two-player game could leave, and potentially rob the other player of a chance to win. This could be particularly nasty if the departing player knew he was overmatched, and just lucky to get an early lead.

+ Reply to Thread