+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tier matching

Member GiZZmo is on a distinguished road

Tier matching

The tier matching when going from t3 to t4 is realy bad and should be improved.

For me t3 in cft is too low and its no fun for other players while in t4 i loose and its too high for me and no fun.

Plz make a t3,5 thats my suggestion.

best regards
    gizzmo

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Would still result in same problem.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    saturday, lunch time.. and its been like this all week basically - not a single euro ctf server going on. the rotation is really kicking in now ^^

maybe there are lower tier severs i dont see, but theres no activity at all on the upper end, if u further segregate the community via tiers this wont help anyone.

on a side note, i dont count modded pub servers as actual servers - except molesters or mustafa's rox only server :P

otherwise thers zero activity going on, so unusual.

Senior Member vurun is on a distinguished road vurun's Avatar
    Adding tiers won't solve the problem at all.
    VG278HE@144Hz + EC2evo + Manticor + Lycosa+ SS Siberia v2

QL doesn't need more tiers, it needs more players (С)

but isnt it like that:

t1 0-20
    t2 20-40
    t3 40-60
    t4 60-100 ???

so its an very simple calculation to see that the range in t4 is the biggest

the note from danstar is good, when them all empty then it makes no sense too...

is there somewhere a statistic how many player starting and stopping to play ql, if this goes down i understand the decision if not, than i dunno understand this. AND i heard that there were in past 5 tiers, so nothing new i suggest

have a nice day
    giZZmo

but the is an relation between tiers and player amount....

if new players start and they are killed only they stop to play, so i would be an good idea to increase amount of tiers or think about an other concept

cu

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    there are several things you seem to not understand.

The initial error is thinking another tier added would make the transition easier. But in fact only one or of two options is possible. You either have to few players so one tier will have not enough players for having games available constantly, or you have enough players so the transition difficulty is the same.

The next thing is, don't think in skillratings for tiers, think in player numbers. The biggest population is in tier 3. Tier 4 has the broader skillrange but less players. The way I understand danstars comment is, that you have problems finding t4 games already in some modes. Now imagine what happens when you take away a big portion of players (like yourself) and put them in tier 3.5. Less games for everybody above t3.

Because of the above it was actually changed. That's why we don't have 5 tiers anymore. Because we don't have enough players to fill them properly.

or think about an other concept
    Now that's rich. Feel free to suggest (a good) one... It's not that easy.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Junior Member rothko is on a distinguished road
    I think they're two problems:

A. As Gizzmo points out, the range of skill within t3 is smaller (40-70, right?) than the range in t4 (70+). So, one can play in t3 and improve one's skill playing against people of an average of 55, for example, and then bumped up to a t4 server where the average skillrating is 272 (that's what I saw yesterday in a t4 CA game). While, for me, it is an adjustment playing against people better than me, as it is likely for most, it can be disheartening to have gone from playing quite well against people in your tier to losing terribly and getting mocked. So, I get the frustration and I think it's warranted based on the range discrepancies, even though I do think a period of transition is expected (and can help you improve).

B. I also think the logic of having more tiers without a larger player base is problematic. That if we have more tiers now, it may be harder to get more players in a game. So, we're left with some options: (i) make our own servers, (ii) play in unranked games, (iii) keep playing until we're competitive in t4; yet those t3.5er's/low t4er's are the ones who have to be creative or make it happen. Sometimes I'd just prefer there were no tiers and just fall where I fall in the pack. I also think the community plays a part in this--if highly skilled players were more friendly and supportive of lower skilled players, it might facilitate the lower skilled players willingness to stick around. Last night I saw people get kicked simply for being lower skilled.

Final thought: Gizzmo's idea could also be optional--that there are a few servers that people could join and have a handicap, knowing that as they joined the server.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    For one thing,,some players will allways be mocked.Any Gaming Web Site. And you definitly want Tiers. I for one,and im sure there are others that remember when Q3 came out online,we were all throne into a room with Good,and Bad players.Unless you pickjed up on the game quickly,a lot of players never got a win,and it was really intimidating wether or not you wanted to stick with it. It took me a long time to get a win,and the Tier systom made it possible. I think QL had a 5th Tier?

Member XpArTy is on a distinguished road
    Tier 4 starts at SR 75 in my recollection.

Instead of a T3.5, if you wanted changes made, wouldn't extending the SR window of T3 itself make more sense? Why more tiers? If T3s are hitting low-80 SR, would shifting both the low and the high threshold values up a bit not make more sense? By shifting the high value you would ensure that those just getting good would stay where they are and find even matches on the same servers (less chances of 10-1 games occurring when one good player upsets the balance of the teams), and by shifting the low value up you'd ensure that less T2 graduates would come in, get their asses kicked and not get a good, fun game experience, not unlike what many T3 graduates are experiencing.

Also, I think displaying an SR average in the game browser would help. Sure, you can use prism and have everyone's Elo displayed, which helps, but average SR on top of that would help gauge how difficult a game is even better, for those that are interested in such a thing.

+ Reply to Thread