+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 Critical things - To make Quakelive more successful and for better business (ID)

Junior Member Storm is on a distinguished road

3 Critical things - To make Quakelive more successful and for better business (ID)

Coaches

In OSP we could /coachinvite 'playername' which allowed a TDM or CTF team to have a coach. Coaching actually made the level of 'eSports' higher, and we actually had professional coaches at one point.
    Surely this wouldn't be too hard to implement?

OSP style team-play scripting

In OSP you had decent scripts for team binds like:
    bind 1 "say_team ^3Taken: ^5#P1"
    bind 2 "say_team ^3Available: ^5#I"
    bind 3 "say_team ^3Switch ^5@ #L"

#L is location, #I is closest item and #P is the last item you picked up. Why can't these be implemented? And again, this would raise the level of eSports.

Multi-Arena mode

Can we have RA3 style CA servers? with multiple arenas? This kind of CA style is community building and newbie friendly. As a business model it would make sense to make this part of Quake Live. It'll bring newer players in and introduce them to Quake. It will also keep people interested because it's great fun.
    Also if possible contact old RA3 map makers and use their maps for more content, RA3 maps are some of the greatest CA maps ever made.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Coaches

In OSP we could /coachinvite 'playername' which allowed a TDM or CTF team to have a coach. Coaching actually made the level of 'eSports' higher, and we actually had professional coaches at one point.
    Surely this wouldn't be too hard to implement?

OSP style team-play scripting

In OSP you had decent scripts for team binds like:
    bind 1 "say_team ^3Taken: ^5#P1"
    bind 2 "say_team ^3Available: ^5#I"
    bind 3 "say_team ^3Switch ^5@ #L"

#L is location, #I is closest item and #P is the last item you picked up. Why can't these be implemented? And again, this would raise the level of eSports.

Multi-Arena mode

Can we have RA3 style CA servers? with multiple arenas? This kind of CA style is community building and newbie friendly. As a business model it would make sense to make this part of Quake Live. It'll bring newer players in and introduce them to Quake. It will also keep people interested because it's great fun.
    Also if possible contact old RA3 map makers and use their maps for more content, RA3 maps are some of the greatest CA maps ever made.
    Coaches: What's the difference between having a person spectate and hop in a voicecall? (I don't actually know/understand what the coach does either)

Scripting: In eSports it wouldn't matter as people would be in a voicecall and generally they would be calling the items out anyway. They're not *necessary*, but they would be nice to have.

Multi-Arena: It'd probably involve too much time to code that could be spent elsewhere. Why would it bring in new players though? That part makes no sense to me.

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Coaches: What's the difference between having a person spectate and hop in a voicecall? (I don't actually know/understand what the coach does either)
    ez. A spectator can watch enemy team, a coach doesn't. The coach also had a 4-player splitscreen to see every player at once. It was mainly to have a fifth person to time items. Arguably a needed feature, but nice to have.

Scripting: In eSports it wouldn't matter as people would be in a voicecall and generally they would be calling the items out anyway. They're not *necessary*, but they would be nice to have.
    Sorry, but I still think good use of item binds is far superior to voice comm. Watch some QW TDM, imo they took chat tokens to the next level. Also, you don't need a third party tool.

Multi-Arena: It'd probably involve too much time to code that could be spent elsewhere. Why would it bring in new players though? That part makes no sense to me.
    It makes much sense, it's a great feature. Someone said it in another thread, it builds a community when you can sit with 20 people on one server in different maps (with the ability to change netween them at will and a cross-map 'world' chat). But I think I read somewhere that the way RA3 (respectively CPMA) realized the feature was a really bad code hack. I can only assume that's one reason to not use it in a production environment. But I have no idea really.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Junior Member Storm is on a distinguished road
    Wow thanks malk, you responded to those questions better than I think I could have.

Senior Member whodares is on a distinguished road
    the other nice feature in ra3, was the queue system and im sure many people miss that like mad

some of the chat tokens are available if prem user, such as health, armour etc

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whodares View Post
    the other nice feature in ra3, was the queue system and im sure many people miss that like mad
    Idd :-(
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member EvilSuperman is on a distinguished road EvilSuperman's Avatar
    here's one thing that would make QL a lot better...........................remove the ability to make new accounts with fake email addresses,it would solve a few problems that would make the tier system mean something.

+ Reply to Thread